“Basic-Great , new carpet, flat screen, close to downtown, love the price, cheaper if you join the Best Value Club”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Downtown
Ranked #330 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed December 31, 2013

This hotel has have begun to remodel and is improving. This is a great budget hotel with good beds, flat screen T.V., mirco, fridge, and new carpet-yea!. I have stayed here twice when we needed to be downtown early for business. It is very easy to get to my car. Easy (miss the traffic) travel to downtown without paying $200.00 plus for a hotel. I love saving the money I save or spending it on something else I need or want! I will stay here again. Very friendly manager.

Room Tip: King non smoking
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Downtown

Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is nice simple hotel. Price was good and acceptable. This hotel is nothing fancy, but has everything you need. Nice bed, spacious rooms, very clean, good breakfast. And it's not far from downtown at all. I was in town again for business and stayed here because the hotel of my choice across the street was sold out. I am completely satisfied with my stay. I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 14, 2013

The hotel is quite close to the city center and directly reachable by bus. the staff is helpfull. The rooms could be more clean. Because of the situation directly at the highway it's noisy. The air in the room was very bad.

Room Tip: If they have try a room with a window away from the highway.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I booked this hotel because it was close to the client I was needing to stay. My criteria is location first, accommodations and amenities second. This hotel was decent, especially for the price the first stay, but this time, they gave me a dumpy room, with holes in the carpet, rundown furniture, and makeshift repair work all over. The lamp had a grafted power cord that was connected with electrical tape (which I unplugged for safety).

During my second stay, I was reminded that the WiFi did not work for my phone or email, which for a travelling business person, is paramount. I called the office, but they were unable to fix it during either stay. Needless to say, I was frustrated not being able to get much work done while there.

The "breakfast" consists of a waffle maker with watered down, overly sweet batter, two generic cereals, Sunny Delight, Milk and Coffee. That's it.

On the plus side, the location is pretty convenient, the bed was one of the best I've slept in in a lower end hotel. The staff is friendly, and they are renovating, so I will not completely bash them for these downfalls, but the place is a budget hotel - keep that in mind when booking.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Was at a function at the Convention Center Downtown and didn't want to pay an arm and a leg. We heard others talking about staying at this facility. It was easy to find off of 45, nicely lit. My husband stayed one night and on the second night I joined him. The room was large, not exactly a suite but larger than a regular room. All items in the room worked correctly. The rock, I mean the bed was a little firm but it what do you expect. Evidently on Friday nights they charge an extra $5.00 due to being the weekend or possibly they thought that we had brought the dead cockroach in the bathroom with us and charged us for his stay. My husband had a couple of sideways words with the owner/manager over paying for the second night. I suppose he thought we were going to "cheat" him out of some money but that was a little silly since my husband left all his belongings in the room. It was obvious that he was planning to return and besides that he had used his credit card to pay the initial night. It had been a matter of miscommunication with the female that worked the desk. All in all, the room was quite clean (sans roach), comfortable, a/c worked well, felt safe and was reasonable. What more do you want for $60. ish per night?

Room Tip: Second floor room was quiet and felt safe.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Lynette E
Reviewed November 16, 2011

There were four of us staying at this property for a week recently while we were in town for the Quilt Festival. Firstly the manager would not accept our Australian passports as id, he wanted out visas. He went overboard in requiring payment even though we had lodged a credit card for security at time of booking. We extended our stay as it was more convenient and he insisted that we pay every couple of days. The room that 2 of us had had a kitchen in it but no crockery, cutlery or cooking equipment. Only 1 fan in the room worked, the cupboard doors were missing handles but I guess for the price it was OK. Our main complaint is the total distrusting attitude of the management. We were made to feel like we were not to be trusted. The other ladies' room had a microwave but no glass plate so they could not use it. Their toilet broke down towards the last day.

Room Tip: Make sure if you are planning to stay for a number of days that you pay every couple of days
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 11, 2011

This is a great hotel to stay at for the price of the rooms. It's a convenient location very close to downtown. Not too much traffic around the area. The desk clerk was very friendly and the rooms were clean and tidy.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends