“Close to the freeway, but keep an open mind”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston Southwest
Ranked #346 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Even though this hotel is fairly close to the freeway, not many others can match their price and value. Rooms are spacious and clean, the bathroom has wood flooring which seemed odd since urine stains can seep through them. Just as i expected, there was urine stains near the wood floor around the toilet, disgusting, i suggested to the front desk that for the next remodeling project that the bathroom flooring be changed to tile. Free breakfast and wifi provided, nice fulfilling breakfast. Would stay here again if im ever in this part of Texas again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

A TripAdvisor Member
Luanda
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Good stay, good deals, good price..
- Free breakfast
- Close to highway
- Good sized room (suite)
Im satisfied

Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Reviewed February 24, 2012

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Located on a busy freeway but had a quiet night. Restaurant choice within 200 yards. Excellent rooms.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Staying at this La Quinta is the worst hotel experience I've had in many years. I booked the room through Hotwire, a service I've used frequently and been satisfied with in the past. I had specified a hotel in the Sugar Land, TX area (Sugar Land is a very nice suburb of Houston). I picked the second hotel listed according to value as is my typical practice. This practice has in the past insured a good quality hotel at a reasonable rate -- not the best but not the cheapest. When the hotel name popped up with a Houston address I wasn't alarmed as I knew that there was a LaQuinta just outside the Sugar Land city limits and assumed this must be the hotel. I was also reassured as I've stayed in LaQuinta properties before and they have been decent mid-range hotels. As I drove to the property I passed the LaQuinta near Sugar Land and noticed it was not the correct address. Some 16 miles later (and about 18 miles from Sugar Land) I came to the property. I know Houston well and this property is in a very crime ridden area (had I read the review before going I would have read about the guest who was robbed in the stairwell). When I parked I noticed that there was a sign in front of almost every space warning guests to take all valuables out of their cars. I also noticed the exterior of the hotel did not seem to be well maintained. I called Hotwire at that time to see if they could switch me to a hotel in the Sugar Land area but they were adamant that this hotel was within the Sugar Land area. There were some difficulties checking in and getting a clean room (the one upside to my stay was the very courteous young lady at the front desk named Anna). Apparently the housekeeping staff is off on Sundays (the day of my check in) and Anna had to physically go up and find a clean room for me. When she found a room, it had no towels, but she told me she would round some up and get them to me as soon as possible (which she did). My room was on the second floor which necessitated a ride in the very filthy elevator. Walking down the corridor to the room, I noticed filthy and bumpy carpeting. My room was reasonably clean but I noticed the housing on the AC unit was broken and trim around the bath tub was peeling away. I also noticed the beds were placed on metal frames which extended past the beds themselves. I once again called Hotwire to ask for a transfer and explained the dilapilated condition of the property and even mentioned the weird bed setup, but they still wouldn't budge on the no exchange policy. Unfortunately in the middle of the night I got up to use the restroom and on the way back I ran my foot into the weird frame which stuck out from under the bed and was covered by the bedspread I had turned down. When I got up the next morning, I could tell that I had probably broken a toe on the bedframe. I reported this to the front desk and they said they would turn in an incident report. I did call Hotwire again and told them that I would be checking out a day early and I felt they should refund the unused day, but whether they did or not it wasn't really worth staying at this hotel another night. My recommendation to anyone looking to stay at this hotel is to pass it up and also not to book rooms through Hotwire.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Pamela R
Reviewed August 31, 2011

My mother and I stayed here while in Houston for a family funeral. Checked in ok, but the room they gave us was dirty - the beds were made, but dirty towels were on bathroom floor, tub and toilet were not cleaned, lots of trash in room, etc. So they apologized and gave us another room, but it was dirty too! Manager sent cleaning crew, but they only wanted to pick up the towels and trash. We had to insist they clean the bathroom, dust and vacuum. The bathroom floor was hardwood and porous, and it smelled like pee.
The bathroom light burned out the next morning, and they promised to fix it within one hour. We had to get ready for a funeral, so we showered with the door open for light. Returned nine hours later, it still wasn't fixed. Had to call them again before they finally got it fixed.
Next morning during "breakfast", there was a fight in the lobby/breakfast area between the manager and an employee. There was yelling, screaming, shoving and cursing, and it ended with a visit from the police. Nice.
The front-desk employees were very polite and apologetic for all the problems, but the housekeeping staff was indifferent and didn't seem to care much. I definitely will not stay here again. It's cheap for a reason.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houston
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#281 of 518 in Houston
La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston West at Clay Road
La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston Northwest
La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston Stafford Sugarland
Red Roof Inn Houston - Brookhollow
La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston Kingwood Medical

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston Southwest? Share your experiences!