“Suprisingly good” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #361 of 501 Hotels in Houston
JACKSONVILLE
“Suprisingly good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

Located on a busy freeway but had a quiet night. Restaurant choice within 200 yards. Excellent rooms.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sugar Land
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

Staying at this La Quinta is the worst hotel experience I've had in many years. I booked the room through Hotwire, a service I've used frequently and been satisfied with in the past. I had specified a hotel in the Sugar Land, TX area (Sugar Land is a very nice suburb of Houston). I picked the second hotel listed according to value as is my typical practice. This practice has in the past insured a good quality hotel at a reasonable rate -- not the best but not the cheapest. When the hotel name popped up with a Houston address I wasn't alarmed as I knew that there was a LaQuinta just outside the Sugar Land city limits and assumed this must be the hotel. I was also reassured as I've stayed in LaQuinta properties before and they have been decent mid-range hotels. As I drove to the property I passed the LaQuinta near Sugar Land and noticed it was not the correct address. Some 16 miles later (and about 18 miles from Sugar Land) I came to the property. I know Houston well and this property is in a very crime ridden area (had I read the review before going I would have read about the guest who was robbed in the stairwell). When I parked I noticed that there was a sign in front of almost every space warning guests to take all valuables out of their cars. I also noticed the exterior of the hotel did not seem to be well maintained. I called Hotwire at that time to see if they could switch me to a hotel in the Sugar Land area but they were adamant that this hotel was within the Sugar Land area. There were some difficulties checking in and getting a clean room (the one upside to my stay was the very courteous young lady at the front desk named Anna). Apparently the housekeeping staff is off on Sundays (the day of my check in) and Anna had to physically go up and find a clean room for me. When she found a room, it had no towels, but she told me she would round some up and get them to me as soon as possible (which she did). My room was on the second floor which necessitated a ride in the very filthy elevator. Walking down the corridor to the room, I noticed filthy and bumpy carpeting. My room was reasonably clean but I noticed the housing on the AC unit was broken and trim around the bath tub was peeling away. I also noticed the beds were placed on metal frames which extended past the beds themselves. I once again called Hotwire to ask for a transfer and explained the dilapilated condition of the property and even mentioned the weird bed setup, but they still wouldn't budge on the no exchange policy. Unfortunately in the middle of the night I got up to use the restroom and on the way back I ran my foot into the weird frame which stuck out from under the bed and was covered by the bedspread I had turned down. When I got up the next morning, I could tell that I had probably broken a toe on the bedframe. I reported this to the front desk and they said they would turn in an incident report. I did call Hotwire again and told them that I would be checking out a day early and I felt they should refund the unused day, but whether they did or not it wasn't really worth staying at this hotel another night. My recommendation to anyone looking to stay at this hotel is to pass it up and also not to book rooms through Hotwire.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Pamela R
KS USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

My mother and I stayed here while in Houston for a family funeral. Checked in ok, but the room they gave us was dirty - the beds were made, but dirty towels were on bathroom floor, tub and toilet were not cleaned, lots of trash in room, etc. So they apologized and gave us another room, but it was dirty too! Manager sent cleaning crew, but they only wanted to pick up the towels and trash. We had to insist they clean the bathroom, dust and vacuum. The bathroom floor was hardwood and porous, and it smelled like pee.
The bathroom light burned out the next morning, and they promised to fix it within one hour. We had to get ready for a funeral, so we showered with the door open for light. Returned nine hours later, it still wasn't fixed. Had to call them again before they finally got it fixed.
Next morning during "breakfast", there was a fight in the lobby/breakfast area between the manager and an employee. There was yelling, screaming, shoving and cursing, and it ended with a visit from the police. Nice.
The front-desk employees were very polite and apologetic for all the problems, but the housekeeping staff was indifferent and didn't seem to care much. I definitely will not stay here again. It's cheap for a reason.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Bryan, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

great service it just that i came back from a party at 3:00am and there wasnt no water at my room so i couldnt take a shower then the next day i wanted to use the pool and they told there were going to call me so that i could use it and that for me is really dumb it supposed to be public open who knows!! so i couldnt use it

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed one night at this La Quinta in July 2011 - we tend to stay in La Quinta hotels because we travel with our dog, and the entire chain is very pet friendly, so we're very familiar with the brand, and know what to expect.

When we checked in at about 10 pm, we asked where we could find a luggage cart, as we had quite a bit of stuff to lug in. We were told, "there are two carts, and if they're not in the lobby, I don't know where they are", and then returned to his conversation with a friend. The desk clerk wasn't rude, just totally disinterested. That level of service was constant. Lots of young people around, and the staff was always more interested in continuing a conversation with friends than attending to guests. The lobby area itself looked like it had been an outrageously busy day, and no one had bothered to clean.

After getting out of the elevator on the second floor, we were left with the same impression. It was over 100 degrees outside, and it was about 90 in the hotel. Again, the floors were dirty - not stained, just hadn't been vacuumed in several days.

Same thing in the room. There was animal hair and lint all over the floor - and I'm not a massively picky person. Hard surfaces (desks, tables, etc) were also not clean. A bit dusty. It appeared that the only attention was given to bed and bath linens.

We had a late check out, and as we were preparing to leave the next day, things became clear. The gentleman cleaning the rooms was dragging a vacuum down the hall with him, but at no time as he cleaned the rooms around us, did I EVER hear the vacuum turn on...

All in all, this hotel has the feeling of a college dorm, not a LaQuinta. We will be returning to Houston in a couple of months, and will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

On the way from my car to the room i walked through the stairway , which has "no Surveillance" cameras and I was robbed at gun point by two black males! Thinking the gun man was going to shoot me with his 9mm i went for it and dismantled his gun and slammed him to the ground. The other black suspect got away with my briefcase. I ran to the lobby to tell the clerk i was robbed, where there must of been 30 all black people in the lobby! None of the staff would help me except call the police! This is obviously a hang out for robbers holding visiting quests up in the stair wells between the floors! Tip never walk in stair ways or stair wells at any hotel use the elevators or lobby exclsuively!

Room Tip: avoid staying here its a haven for armed felons