“A Surprising Gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #74 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“A Surprising Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Unfortunately I am one of those Brits that are hard to please, this place was booked for me through my office in Brazil and on arrival I had a....bad impression with the general entrance and décor of the place BUT...that soon disappeared when I met Yana at front desk...I think she has a degree in "Knowing How To Please the Customer" straight away she accommodated me after a long flight and she made it very clear that nothing was going to be any trouble for me to enjoy my business stay.

Needless to say when I wanted to know about places to go eat and have a beer Yana was on hand to pass on her local knowledge.

OK so the place needs a lick of paint and the lift is like a time warp but the suite I was in had everything I could possibly need, it was well decked out, plenty of space, all amenities to hand and quiet, the sleep quality was very good and the location of the place top notch, I guess when refurbished getting in to this place will be difficult.

I had breakfast and that was very good, just enough to send me on my way, the little tuck shop was a great little idea as well.

On checking out the process was all painless and I was really looked after by Samira who was very efficient, very pleasant sorting out my transport and allowing a little extended stay for my comfort, when I return to Houston I will stay at this place again.

I would recommend this place to fellow travellers..

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear to assist in lowering traffic noise
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Austin D, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Houston, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
I thank you so much for your review of the Sonesta ES Suites! I think you take the trophy for our most "traveled" reviewer. I am very excited to hear that Yana and Samira made a great impression on you and that we exceeded your expectiations and I look forward to sharing your comments with the entire team. I am also happy to tell you about our upcoming rennovations. We completely renovating both the interior and exterior of the building as well as upgrading our amenties such as adding the fastest internet connection in the Galleria area and revamping our food offerings. If you would like to hear more about our planned rennovations please email me at adavis@sonesta.com. I hope to have to pleasure of welcoming you back to the Sonesta ES Suites the next time your travel plans bring you back to the Houston area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Harlingen, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

This hotel is clean, the staff is not only friendly but responsive and truly cares about its guests. Terrific location for the right price. Rooms are extremely comfortable and amenities are high quality

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Jim,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to share with the Tripadvisor Community your experience! At the Sonesta ES Suites Houston Galleria we strive to exceed every guests expectations and it sounds like you truly enjoyed your stay with us. Please let us know how we can serve you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Houston in the near future!
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Great location and the room was perfect for us. We traveled to Houston for the weekend for a concert and was able to spend some free time shopping. The great thing about this hotel is that it is pet friendly (we brought our 50 lb lab) and the suite was extremely clean and roomy . Their breakfast was great, always had enough to choose from and the service at the front desk was the best I have seen in a while. If you are more into a more updated look, I wouldn't suggest this place due to it being a bit older, but we thought it was just perfect.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Austin D, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Houston, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Lindsay, thank you so much for your time and review of our Hotel. I am happy to hear that our team at Sonesta ES Suites took such good care of you! We look forward to welcoming you and your Lab back whenever you are in the Houston area.
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I am from Houston, Texas and I have been searching for a Extended Stay Hotel in the area for quite some time. I was in the Galleria Area around mid January 2013. Decided to walk in the front door of this Hotel and was greeted by Ashley behind the front desk, and she showed me around the property. After viewing the property I told Ashley I have finally found my new home. I have to say that the front desk staff = ASHLEY, YANA, STEVEN, SAMIRA, are very helpfull and very friendly with the guests. Ms.ERMA in Housekeeping is very pleasant as well. Management staff = AUSTIN, MARIO, are here to help the guest in any thing to make there stay enjoyable. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Austin D, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Houston, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Fred, thank you for your time reviewing our Hotel and sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor Community.
Honolulu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Overall experience with this hotel was awesome from check-in to check out. All of the staff were friendly and always went above and beyond to help us, especially Yana- she was exceptional and made us feel so comfortable. On our last day there, we were running behind and Yana was able to accommodate a late check out for us and was understanding to our situation. Upon check out, staff was kind and check out was less than 2 minutes! In addition to the great staff and customer service, the rooms were spacious beds were comfortable & room was, equipped with all we needed including a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, dishes and toaster! Hotel offered free breakfast and free parking. Location was awesome!!! Less than a minute walk from Galleria, lots of shops, restaurants and only a few miles to Houston attractions and outlets nearby. I absolutely recommend this hotel and wish we could've stayed longer. Looking forward to staying there again.....GREAT HOTEL!!!!!!!!!!.

Room Tip: We stayed in a one bedroom King Suite.... Loved it!!!! Room was facing pool and we heard no noise!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Austin_Davis343, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Houston, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to tell everyone about your stay with Sonesta ES Suites! I look forward to sharing your review with Yana at the Front Desk. Yana, as well as the other team members get a lot of credit on Tripadvisor from guests and it is well deserved. We do pride ourselves on going above and beyond for each and every guest that spends their time away from home with us. If you are ever in the Houston area again we will look forward to welcoming you back!
Taylorsville, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

A former Staybridge suites location with the Sonesta name sounded too good to be true. Sonesta kept the great traditions of the Staybridge with the great breakfast, managers reception, and convenience store.

A great staff that made you feel welcome and part of the family is the most redeeming quality of a what overall was somewhat disappointing.

The condition of the hotel appears to be deteriorating. My room had mold on the shower ceiling and obviously had suffered a leak from above that was never cleaned. The DVD player cabled were so old they had deteriorated to the point that they had broken off attached to the dvd player making it unusable. One burner on the stove didn't work. And to top it off, the thing that really made the stay the most difficult was an internet connection that is totally unusable. They blame it on where they are in the area, yet I used the internet connection of both hotels next to them and they worked great.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I am excited to tell you we are currently working with a design team to completely rennovate the Hotel within the next 6-9 months. We are working hard to exceed expectations with some of the better features and amenities you mentioned in your review. For instance, we are looking to upgrade our breakfast and social offerings to guests, offering the highest interent access in the Galleria area, and completely remodeling our guest rooms.It is a great time to be introduced to the Sonesta ES Suites Brand and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future to discuss our upcoming plans.
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

My two daughters and I went to stay a weekend in Houston for a birthday party. The hotel was conveniently located to the Galleria and numerous eating and shopping locations. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Check-in and check-out were quick and effortless. The hotel offered a variety of breakfast items: waffles, toast, bagels, oatmeal, scrabbled eggs, yogurt, fresh fruit, bacon, and sausage. The staff refilled the items whenever I requested and there was different items placed out each day. The hotel guests were very kind and often started conversations with myself and my daughters. Housekeeping came to clean the room daily and replenished items upon request.
The downside was that my room faced the front of the hotel which was located directly on the street. Early in the morning, I was awaken by the garbage trucks and busses that parked right in front of the hotel. I am a light sleeper and this was terrible as I had driven from out of town the night before and wanted a full night's rest. The only other negative was that my room door looked like someone had tried to break into it. It didn't look like it was ever fully closed, even though I could not open it without the room key.

Room Tip: Do not get a room in the front of the hotel facing the street if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Toiyota, Thank you for your recent review of the Sonesta ES Suites Houston Galeria. It sounds like you had an enjoyable birthday weekend and we are happy that we had the chance to share this moment with you. As you know, our location is fantastic being just steps from the Galleria Mall so with this type of urban environment you will have a view of streets, building and every now and then a loud vehicle may drive past us. We look forward to welcoming you and your Family back if you are ever again in the Houston area and we will be sure to get you a courtyard view!