“Solid traditional tex-mex”

El Real Tex-Mex Cafe
Ranked #181 of 8,206 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Voted Best Houston Tex-Mex Restaurant of 2013, El Real boasts sophistication never-before seen among Houston's Tex-Mex restaurant scene. Nestled in the heart of Montrose in the old Tower Theater, El Real Tex-Mex honors the history of our cuisine by incorporating classic recipes with a modern twist. Under Chef Bryan Caswell, our menu is packed with mouth-watering must haves. Made with only fresh, quality ingredients, everything on our menu reflects those same homestyle flavors of the past. Try our Sizzling Fajitas, which are a Houston staple- to our own Bacon Enchiladas, cheese enchiladas stuffed with bacon inside, chile con carne, topped with a fried egg, skillet potatoes and refried beans. Aside from great food, El Real is available for private parties and dining of all sizes. Whether its a family get-together, formal banquet or a corporate event, our friendly event coordinators will handle everything from the fresh ingredients to our experienced and attentive wait staff. For an authentic taste of old Texas, let us win over both your heart and taste buds at El Real Tex-Mex.
Houston, TX
“Solid traditional tex-mex”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Crispy tacos, cheese enchiladas and margaritas. While photos of the pioneers of Houston tex-mex look on.

Visited November 2012

New Hope, Minnesota
“Good Tex Mex”
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Went here with a group of five. We got the chicken nachos which were pretty tasty. They bring you complimentary chips and salsa as well so we were all pretty full before our meals arrived. I had the puffy tacos, one chicken one beef. After I wished I had two chicken tacos instead as the beef was over-cooked. Besides that everything was good. The others got the chicken tacos, pollo verde and a pork dish I don't remember the name of. Everyone left happy but with a lot of leftovers. With four margaritas our total was around $90 so it ended up being a bit pricier than I'd expected. The road it is on is kind of busy but we sat on the patio anyway because it was nice out. I liked how this place was evidently a movie theater once (Houston zoning laws don't exist). At the end of our meal they brought us complimentary dessert shots that tasted like chocolate milkshakes although I'm not sure if this is normal or if they were running a special. I would be fine going again but probably would avoid the appetizer or order just the chicken nachos for my meal. Service was friendly.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Knutey1111
Malakoff, Texas
“Good food!!!”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Cheese enchiladas smothered in chili con queso were to die for. Service was outstanding, and I introduced my North Carolina boss to real TexMex. Can't wait to go again. It's a Houston tradition.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Brian P
Washington, D.C.
“your grandfather's Tex-Mex, in a good way”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My enchiladas, rice and beans at El Real took me back to childhood in South Texas. You could probably find better and more authentic Tex-Mex in a great hole-in-the-wall restaurant, but those are sadly dying out. So go here to get a taste of the Tex-Mex generations of Texans grew up with.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank ieateverything
Liberty, Texas
“Wonderful Couples Shower Fiesta!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Last night, March 23, 2013, we hosted a couples shower for my niece and her fiance at El Real in Houston in their party room upstairs. We were so impressed with the service and food. The party room was set up just as we requested, they had an upstairs bar area as well as restrooms just for the event. We were greeted immediately and assured the wait staff would have a meeting before our guests arrived so there would be no question on the time schedule we wanted to follow. There was always a staff member making sure we were happy and did not need anything else. The area was very clean and our over 50 guests were well taken care of. The appetizers, fajita buffet, and cake for dessert were all delicious. We gave each guest 2 drink coupons for the open bar with tea, coffee, and soft drinks included with the buffet. I would definitely use this restaurant again for another event. We all had a wonderful time! Thanks El Real, we appreciate the great food and service!

• Visited March 2013