“Physical hotel good. Staff clueless”

Sheraton Houston Brookhollow Hotel
Ranked #129 of 508 Hotels in Houston
Ft lauderdale
“Physical hotel good. Staff clueless”
Reviewed August 12, 2006

Hotel has had a 6 million dollar renovation. It is quite nice. Sheraton sleep sweet beds very good.

Cinnamon Restaurant. Good quality food, friendly service. very reasoanle prices.

Ok to the clueless Front Desk Staff...............

I arrived at noon. I realise check in is at 3pm. Most hotels will at least look to see if a room is available early and if not offer to store your Luggage for you. The lady at the Front Desk did not even look and told me to return at 3pm.

I return at 3pm. First set of keys I am given. I enter the room there is a poor guy sleeping in the bed. I apoligize to the guy and return to the Front Desk.

Front Desk Clerk informs me there are no more King Beds even though I am Guaranteed a King non smoking with my reservation. I cannot be bothered to argue. I go to room number 2 and the room is not cleaned and someones Luggage is in the room still.

I go to room number 3 and discover it is 2 double beds. I am not happy at all but cannot be bothered to argue as I am tired.

I then try to retrieve my bags. I hand the Front Desk Clerk my 2 Luggage claim tickets and ask her to please page the Bellman. She informs me that the Bellman has left for the day. I find this strange as in Sheratons there is usually Luggage assitance from 8am -11pm at least. I inform her I do not need assitance but I need to retrieve my bags. She walks me into a storage closet and makes me retrieve my own bags. Not good. This is supposed to be a secure area.

Cannot believe this hotel has no Concierge. The Front Desk staff do not know any restaurants, ditto the Bellman. I asked the Front Desk manager for directions to the St Regis Hotel the next day. This is another Starwood property. He did not know and had to ask someone else. Surely the hotel should have a Concierge who is knowledgeable of the area.

Next day maintenance knocks on my door at 9am to paint the door even though I have a do not disturb sign on my door.

• Liked — Beds.
  • Disliked — none
  • Tips/Secrets — suggest hotel hires a Concierge
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank conciergesyt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
NYC
Reviewed June 10, 2006

I recently stayed at the Sheraton Brookhollow and I think it was a great hotel. The rooms have been recently renovated and have the sweet sleeper beds which are so comfy you never want to get up. I am surprised to see a few negatives on this place but they may have come from before it was renovated. I don't think the photos on Sheratons websight do the hotel justice. The room look nothing like the pictures, they are much more updated and modern.

Te area around the hotel is quite dull, no restaurants and no shopping but the Galleria area is jsut a few minutes away. You will save a lot staying in this area and driving then the prestigious Galleria area. Be sure to get goo direstions to and from the hotel, the road are odd here.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank valleyankee
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 13, 2006

So I'm sitting in the hotel right now, using the free internet, so guess that's fixed :)

I've stayed here 3 times now over 2yrs, and have seen the place change, a LOT. To me, Sheratons are always a mixed bag within the Starwood chain: you know what to expect from a Westin or a W or even the 4points, but the Sheratons are always undefined.

The renovation of the hotel makes it one of the nicer Sheratons I've been in, on a par with the nice one near Heathrow or SanFrancisco airport.
Nice lobby, good rooms, free internet in room and lobby (although wireless only works in lobby).

The location is pretty crap, as noted in several of these reviews. It's at the intersection of 610 & 290, which is not really very near... anything.
It's not near the Galleria district, or downtown, or any restaurants to speak of.

However, it's convenient to the highways, and easy/quick to get wherever you want to get.

For the dollar, not a bad stay at all.

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank KevinSdammit
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 12, 2006

The hotel has just undergone a renovation and is very nice on the surface. I did notice a number of safty concerns during my week at the hotel.

Some concerns are:
- One of my team members television caught on fire and the alarms never went off. She had to call the front desk twice to get help to her room.
- Some of the automated fire doors were propped open.
- The external vent above the laundry was completely caked with lint.

If you stay here, be sure you know where the fire exits are located and stay on a lower floor.

Stayed April 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 28, 2006

About the only good things I can say about the Sheraton Brookhollow was very nice and comfortable bed and the room was clean. On the downside, Internet connection was not free despite how it was advertised and still it was not working. Nor was the 800-lines, nor was the on demand cable. No Guest Services book inside the room. No fire map on the back of the door.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank Portastorm
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2006

The Brookhollow Sheraton is a hotel with nice rooms, struggling with an unwinnable battle against its location. For me, as a person that used to live in Houston, being anwhere near the Galleria and the associated traffic is not a good thing. Additionally, being right on top of the 610 loop and 290 highway means that you get to listen to freeway traffic all night long. Now, some people regard this as "white noise", and the blackout curtains do contain it to some degree, but I found it unpleasant. Also, the doors on the rooms don't seem to block any noise at all from the hallway, I could even hear the approach of the newspaper person every morning as they dropped papers in front of each room (around 6am, slap, slap, slap).
Also hurting my impression of the hotel is that it is located in a corporate office / freeway wasteland, so you MUST get in your car to find food, and you will mostly find the usual Texas freeway chains (franging from Taco Cabana to Olive Garden and Chilis). Plus, the hotel is undergoing renovations, so during my stay the main hotel restaurant was closed, and the lobby smelled strongly of fresh paint.
Which is all really too bad, because the bed, bathroom, and sitting area of the room itself are above average and quite new. The bed was one of the best I've had in a long time, and this hotel was clearly the cleanest I've ever had in all of Houston (from 2 to 5 star hotels). That's always a complaint of mine in Houston, and this Sheraton was the first to do it right.
Frequent Sheraton users will find the Club Level reception room is also above average, with free happy hour drinks and decent finger food along with a good business center.
So, for a few nights you will be fine and will enjoy the room. Any longer and it will start to be a drag, especially since you will only have about 9 channels to choose from on the TV...

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank TravelB0y
Alexandria VA
Reviewed January 28, 2006

This is an average hotel. The staff is very week. They are not prepared for questions or to respond to requests. Use this hotel only if you desire a clean bed and room.

Service was poor in the dining room. Given all kinds of reasons why not and staff kept saying: sorry, sorry, sorry. No table clearning and no dedicated wait staff. Don't eat here.

Bed was new and carpet new. Room is OK for a one or two night stay if all you do is sleep here.

There are much better places to stay in Houston.

• Stayed January 2006