“Interesting and delicious menu. Busy and crowded” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jonathan's The Rub

Jonathan's The Rub
Reserve with OpenTable
Jonathan's The Rub is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #382 of 8,115 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Italian, American
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
San Antonio, Texas
“Interesting and delicious menu. Busy and crowded”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

This restaurant is tucked away in West Houston/Katy area. Its very popular and crowded. No reservations except group of 8 or more. We happened to have that number and had a reservation but had to wait about 30 min for a table. You can bring your own wine here with cork fee about $9 but we didn't. They had nice wines on the menu and offer the option of ordering "Third"--a third of a bottle instead of a glass. The menu was interesting--lots of choices--beef, chicken, duck, seafood. We didn't choose steak but they looked delicious and were voted some of the best steaks in Houston. Our table had several different seafood dishes and all were good; the salmon and shrimp especially. Even the house salad was good here. The entrees were slow in coming so you may want to be prepared for lots of dinner conversation before the food comes. Service was good except for the wait considering the place was so busy and crowded. Be prepared to wait if no reservation

Visited January 2014

Houston
“Small, cozy and wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

What a great find! The service was perfect, the menu was extensive....everyone loved their meal. They are moving to a new location with more space...hope they keep the small quiet feel. Great main courses from steak to lobster to veal...wonderful vegetables with lots of garlic...most entrees come with a salad and a vegetable. We will return!

• Visited January 2014
Houston, TX
“Mediocre food and service, too expensive ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Came here with some friends. Lots of reviews talked about how loud and cramped it is, which is not untrue but it didn't bother me. What did bother me was the many spelling errors on the menu for the Italian dishes. So here's a place that claims to have a Brooklyn Italian section of dishes, and you spell "brushetta" and "cabonara"? Pretty pathetic. The menu is huge. Which never bodes well in my mind: how can oneage to prepare this many kinds of dishes successfully? The answer: they don't.

So anyway we had an appetizer that was decent, and I ordered a steak (no thanks on the "Italian" food) medium rare. It came overcooked (definitely medium if not more). I didn't send it back because you might have read what happened when a client did that in the past (if you haven't google it). Meat temperature aside, it was the saddest looking piece of meat and had no seasoning on it. For $38. The side of mushrooms was blah. I could see they sprinkled something on them but didn't really stir them before plating them because some mushrooms had this powder on them and some didn't. Either way I didn't taste anything. Same thing with my wife's sea bass. It looked ok and it tasted like...nothing. I don't cook salty and I never add daily at restaurants but I had to here.

Service was touch and go. We asked for more bread several times and it came halfway through the entrees. No thanks. The setup with no assigned waiters isn't implemented well because we were asked more than once if we wanted to place our order...after we did. I've seen this setup elsewhere and it worked fine so something is amiss here.

The Italian food some of our friends ordered looked completely unappetizing to me.

Grand total for the evening: $111 for two entrees and one appetizer. No alcohol and no dessert. For diner-grade food. Huh? Avoid.

1 Thank GC_WorldTraveller
Texas City, Texas
“How unprofessional can you be???”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

My son was dropped off to meet his friends at 7:00 pm on a Saturday night. His name was added to the wait list at 7:02 pm and he was told a 30 min wait. After an hour 15 min wait, he let me know that they still have not been seated but they were next. They were finally seated at 8:30 pm. I took it upon myself to call the manager for an explanation, I spoke with Jessica, Jonathan's daughter, which she mentioned several times but not sure of the relevance. She stated she was shocked and did not understand the reason for my phone call, I explained to her, that my son was told a 30 min wait, and why was it an 1 1/2 later before they were seated? She proceeded to argue with me that he was not told that and they do not give estimated times of seating. I explained to her that she may not have given him the 30 min wait time but someone there in the establishment did! So instead of addressing the issue or apologizing for her staff. She then asked me does my son have a curfew, or is he under the age of 18? He is under 18 but that was not pertinent to the conversation, he was given a time by someone there, and we were expecting somewhere close to that. I have never eaten at a restaurant that did not give an estimated wait time, had he been told that they do not give out times, then it would be up to our discretion whether or whether not he waited. I asked her what time did she show that my son put his name on the list and she continued to tell my it was 7:20 pm, I told her I was sure it was before that, and she continued to get louder and louder that it was 7:20 pm. I told her to check again, and she stated it was 7:02 pm and she was either looking at it upside down or she was dyslexic. Not even then did she apologize for her mistake! Then she became very argumentative that No one gave him a time, I told her I am sure he did not make it up. She proceeded to tell me she didn't either! So at that point she would not take responsibility for her staff or even state that she would address them to make sure that everyone was given out the correct information. At which time I knew this conversation was going nowhere, the call was then ended. Only to find out minutes later that she went over to my son's table, and approached one of her guest, (not my son) but to let them know that I called to complain, and to prepare him that I was in a bad mood, and that they do not give out times!!!! Okay what type of manager does this? I can tell you, Jessica, Jonathan's daughter. This was very unprofessional and her behavior was unacceptable!!! The conversation was between her, as a manager, and a concerned parent. She did not have the right to interrupt or ruin the birthday dinner of which they waited an hour 1/2 for! I do not think she would have done this if it had been "ALL" adult table! But she is Jonathan's daughter, Jessica, I am sure she does not need my son's business, he did state that the food was very good but I will be sure and tell everyone about his experience with Jessica. The food may be good, but he does not deserve to be treated this way, especially from management!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Raquel R
Houston, Texas
“Spotty service and food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

My first visit to this restaurant was very disappointing on several levels. Parking is difficult. You will probably end up parking catty corner from the restaurant. The tables inside are very close to the point of discomfort. A baby crying over the shoulder of the man at the next table was about a foot from my husband's face.
Service was spotty and not very friendly. There is no designated server for your table which ultimately led to poor service and long periods of inattention to our table.
The food was very slow in arriving. The kitchen is small but 30+ min is too long. The bread served was quite good and unique. One dish was cold (it was quickly replaced) and my Parmesan crusted tilapia was greasy, inexcusable for an entree at this price point. Two of our party of 6 ordered different duck dishes but the same entree was given to both of them. The duck was mediocre. The cheese grits and Yukon gold mashed potatoes were wonderful. My roasted corn off the cob tasted a bit like buttery canned corn without the intensity usually found with roasted vegetables. Only one out of the 6 of us raved about their entree. The coconut cream pie was some of the best I have ever had.
I know they plan to move in a year but their patrons are paying the price for the cramped conditions now. I would not consider trying them again until after they relocate to larger quarters.

• Visited September 2013