“Don't walk, run away from this dump!!”

Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - NRG Park - Fannin
Ranked #394 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Austin, Tx
“Don't walk, run away from this dump!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

This place is run by a bunch of idiots. Smoking room only despite asking for non-smoking. Toilet was broken, loud dogs barking, shuttle should have been scrapped for parts, bug in my bed went unaddressed. Mgmt barely responded to my complaints even after I called corporate!! Don't go .... Please, don't go v

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Christine L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

If you want to stay somewhere where you arrive and its dirty or missing items like shower curtains then this is the place for you. If something is dirty the staff will hand you a sponge and cleaner and tell you to clean.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Briane22
Norman, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

I have stayed here multiple times both before and after the "renovation" (not much functional difference I saw) due to being a patient at MD Anderson cancer center for the last 3 years.

The good:

Generally the cheapest thing going that has a shuttle service (which saves you about $13/day at MD Anderson in parking) and a kitchen.

Kitchen is nicer than the Rotary (that being said I prefer the Rotary for a number of other reasons but then again I can't afford it)

Room is average as far as beds, etc. go. I am fine with it not being top of the line. Don't want to pay top of the line prices. If you are picky about this then you may not be happy. It is comfortable but not fancy.

I have always found the rooms to be clean and bug free (unlike some guests reporting), however twice now I have been in no smoking rooms that smell like smoke (I have stayed there perhaps 11 or 12 times) . That is not something they can control, but I do wonder if it is possible then to clean the rooms better (like clean the carpets and curtains, replace the bedspreads, blankets, pillows, etc.) and charge that to the offenders?

The bad:

The shuttle can have on it, at times, a number of medical center employees who are NOT guests at the hotel. Instead they live next door at the apartments and walk over or some drive their car over to ride. Twice I have seen the shuttle skip the next hotel stop because it was full. If the employees were kicked off that would not have been a problem. The temp employees staying at the hotel have a right to take the shuttle, the others do not.

It apparently is not possible to request and have them hold for you a ground floor room. I fail to understand why. How hard is it to do that? This is a problem because I can not carry my suitcase up stairs due to cancer surgeries. I don't need a handicapped room, but I do need to be able to actually reserve a ground floor room. Twice staff have carried stuff up and down for me but it was not done with good grace (and I tend to arrive later at night as I drive 500 miles to get there).

The price was massively jacked up after the so called renovation. I now think it is somewhat overpriced for what you get even with the medical discount. On the other hand if you factor in being able to use the shuttle and save on parking I think it is still the cheapest thing going that has a kitchen. Since I am a captive audience so to speak, don't want to sleep in my car or stay out in the sticks at a place with no kitchen, I have no choice but to pay.

If you don't know where it is it is hard to find because the sign is blocked by bushes/trees and you don't see it until it is too late to slow down to make the turn. Then due to the Y in the road and the barrier in the middle it is tricky to figure out how to get back (once you have done it no problem, but the first time in the dark late at night is a pain). They need to either move the sign or trim back the foliage.

Sometimes I don't think they have enough help at the front desk. You call on the phone sometimes to make a reservation and are on hold for so long that it makes me wonder if I have been forgotten.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Liz a
Vail, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stay in a lot of different hotels each year. This was the worst experience we have had in a long time. The space in which we parked our car smelled like urine. The room seemed ok until we found uneaten food and trash in the garbage container under the sink. When we called the front desk they didn't offer to send housecleaning or even to inspect the room. The next morning when we were rushing off to an appointment, we discovered the door wouldn't lock. The front desk didn't offer any solutions such as repairing the lock, securing the room, or changing the room. We had to leave the room unlocked. Later when we were complaining to the manager about the lock, she literally left in the middle of a sentence without any explanation. We are glad we didn't wait too long for her to return because when we returned to our room, we found her at the door with a maintenance man. Would it have been too much trouble to tell us she was going to get a maintenance person before she stood up an left in the middle of a conservation? This is not a place we would recommend to our friends.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Skibumdude
Lima, Peru
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

To start, I stayed in this hotel last year, when it was called Homestead Studio Suites, and it was great. Now that it is an Extended Stay America, it sucks!
Me and my family were robbed!
Yep, things missing from our room! iPhone, iPad charger, perfume and jewelry.
Not to mentioned terrible service when we checked in ( got our room at 7pm, check in was at 3pm)
Payed extra money for cleaning services, when it is included, etc...
The worst, robbed!. We assume it was during cleaning day.
Terrible, terrible experience!
Do not come to this hotel! Never!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ursula A A
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed at the Extended Stay America for a conference. My reservation was messed up and they gave me a smoking room. First of all, why are there still rooms like this available? Especially in and around the MD Anderson Cancer Center! The room was filthy and I couldn't stand the stink of smoke. The people at the front desk were very kind, but my stay was awful. I'm still feeling sick and all my clothes smell of smoke.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not get a smoking room! They are really terrible
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Keithville, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel multiple times during the past year due to our need to visit MD Anderson. The location is 5 minutes away by car, but also has a trolley that goes back and forth hourly if you need it. Every time we have stayed we have never had a problem with cleanliness. Other than sometimes having a light bulb out, and some of the rooms needing some updating, you DEFINITELY get your value for the price! Friendly staff, great coffee/creamer and grab-and-go breakfast. Staff will accommodate any need, such as extra towels, cups, or even pans if you just ask. You will need to bring shampoo, conditioner, and lotion; they have you covered with hairdryer, iron/ironing board, stove, pots/pans/plates, and full size refrigerator. Washer and dryer and snacks/drinks are available if needed.

Room Tip: The rooms with two beds are a little larger. I have had better experiences calling the hotel direct...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family