Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - NRG Park - Fannin
Ranked #406 of 517 Hotels in Houston
“Rude Staff”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I recently stayed here while my mother was undergoing treatment at MD Anderson. I arrived at the front desk about 2:50 pm only to hear from the person behind the desk that she was unable to tell me if there was a room available because the rooms have not been cleaned yet. Keep in mind that check-in is at 3:00 pm. She was rude and kept very busy handing out clean towels to the people that were staying there. I felt that maybe she wouldn't have been so rude if she didn't also have to function as the housekeeper as well. The rooms badly need an update and the lock on the door appeared to have been kicked in at some point. However, since there was a convention in town and limited availability, we were forced to stay. I would recommend travelers to try Pearland hotels if they are having difficulties finding adequate lodging in Houston. I unfortunately found this out to late.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Fligirl1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Boulder, Colorado, United States
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in the hotel for a month while interning in the medical center. We didn't expect much as the price was fairly low, but we were greatly underwhelmed.
We first noticed liquid leaking from the a/c unit on the outside. Also, there was a large gap between the ground and the door into the room. The room was quite small and we could barely move without running into each other, though there was tons of storage space for clothes and food. The walls were quite thin and the sirens, train horns, and car doors woke me up many times each night.
The room was not clean when we arrived. I found false eyelashes on the bathroom counter. The bathtub was disgusting and I found mold in it. The shower drain was clogged, too, but maintenance fixed it quickly. We also found a disgusting cup behind one of the chairs with some kind of liquid in it that had obviously been sitting out for quite a long time.
Most of our dishes, utensils, cookware, and the remote, were missing upon arrival and we had to wait until the next day to get most of them. The sheets and towels all had holes in them and were not very clean at all. Also, they continued to give us fewer and fewer towels every week because of issues with the laundry. Our keys stopped working at least two times a week (and, for some reason, they both stopped working at the same time every time) and we got locked out one time because the lock stopped working, forcing us to stand outside in the middle of the day for quite a while as they fixed it.
Our toilet clogged one time and we asked for maintenance to fix it while we were out, but they never fixed it. My boyfriend had to unclog it himself as we didn't get back until maintenance was off for the night.
Most of the staff was kind and helpful, but several were quite unfriendly and grumpy. The shuttle, which we relied on, only came once an hour, was rarely on time, and sometimes didn't even show up.
The hot water went out near the end of our trip. When any events happened, such as turning off the water or testing fire alarms, they put up a sign the day of and signs were placed only at the shuttle stop and by the lobby.
I think my biggest complaint, though, is the ROACHES and the bugs. Disgusting!
We were very close to checking into another hotel several times, but we stuck it out, a decision I regret. It was nice to have the kitchen area, the shuttle, the location, and the decent price, but the lack of cleanliness and maintenance made our stay one I will not remember fondly.

1 Thank Shelby N
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I recently visited you place with a small group of out of towners. I was there from May 27-May 31. The hotel is infested with roaches, fleas, and has mold. In the back of the property I saw a rat. One of my coworkers had over 100 dead roaches in the window seal, and another had cat hair in her bed. The front desk staff never has enough people working and never answer the phone from your room. The entire group left to stay at the wyndham hotel. Please make sure that this information is taken to the proper people. The nastiest place I have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: if I could I could have given it no rating.
2 Thank Monique H
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Weekly room cleaning is not enough to provide a clean and safe environment for paying guests.
Also, the Grab and Go breakfast is an over estimate. Coffee, snack bar and piece of fruit (did not look fresh either) is NOT a breakfast Grab and Go or even a snack worth the time and effort.

Room Tip: All is I can say is Good Luck.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - NRG Park - Fannin, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am sorry to hear our Grab and Go breakfast did not meet your expectations. We strive to keep our guests happy and your comments help us do that. Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at med@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Port Arthur, Texas
Reviewed May 30, 2013

If you are following my reviews, you know I am sharing my quest for the best lodging for my party of three (3) as we make our weekly 100-mile commute to Houston's MDA. And, you know the make-up of our party, i.e., medical [member receiving MDA treatments], handicap [mobility impaired member] and driver/support [me].

Because of our party's make-up we seek specialized lodging, i.e., handicapped accessible units with barrier free bathroom, barrier free entry/exit and assigned reserved parking. This stay at ESA Reliant on Fannin, formerly Homestead, we were pleased to find most of our special needs were met and the standard expectations like safe, clean, quiet adequately stocked units were also met. The cost is competitive with the medical rate pricing we were able to FINALLY experience an overall pleasant stay. This 22 April 2013 two-night stay represented the fifth MDA visit in the fifth lodging in five weeks. Overall, it was our BEST experience, so factoring that assessment I would rate the facility as a very good value.

Pros:
Location--great for access to both medical and pleasure visits
Cost--average, between the lowest and highest rates we paid
Clean unit with adequate room for operating a walker OR wheelchair
Access to units directly from vehicle
Quiet unit with even climate controlled a/c
Easy check-in/out
Adequately equipped kitchenette with normal to full sized appliances

Cons:
Not easy for mobility impaired guest to access lobby, but since access is need primarily for check-in/out, this is not a critical point
Complimentary "grab and go" breakfast is not worth highlighting
A $10 daily additional fee is required to get housekeeping to come to the room
Some staff are not particularly friendly, but are courteous and respectful
Shuttle run is more of a bus run, which is a little long for multiple medical appointments. Let me repeat ... La Quinta Reliant operates the BEST, BEST Shuttle Service we have experienced, to date!

We were searching for a stable lodging, where we can schedule repeat visit as our medical member wages her battle. I am optimistic that we can stop searching. In fact, I reserved future weekly stays through the end of June 2013. I pray ESA Reliant on Fannin is our winner.

Room Tip: Plan on preparing or going out to find breakfast. This facility subscribes to a third party merchan...
Hemphill, Texas
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The supervisor and staff were extremely during my stay. I had to rush my wife to the hospital on friday i called and asked for a room before i left. when i got to the hospital around 2 in the afternoon but didn't get to the motel till around 9 pm my room was already set up
. The next day saturday i found out she was going to have to stay in the hospital for 4 days
. I asked the supervisor for a4 day extension on my room when i went to see my wife in the morning when i got back to the motel everything was set up

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MelvinHemphilltx
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - NRG Park - Fannin, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Melvin - I appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I'm so pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate you in your time of need. We hope your wife is doing well!

Humble, Texas
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Hello,

I have stayed at your hotel for a few years now and really enjoy staying there. The staff is nice and the hotel itself is quaint. I leave early in the morning and don't return until very late in the evening/early morning. Basically I stay there just to get a few hours of sleep and a shower and your hotel accommodates these needs.

That being said, I am a volunteer in the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo and presently on the Bar-B-Que Committee. I want to take this opportunity to explain to your corporation how volunteerism works. As a volunteer we have to pay Rodeo dues, Committee dues, lose time off work and sometimes pay, also having to pay the cost of hotels at time. Which on the norm I don't mind this because after all it is to raise funds for the kids, scholarships, and so forth, as well as, to help boost sales in the community.

Often I reserve and pay for my room in advance, (almost 10 months to a year in advance), and have paid the normal price. I do this to help me save money. I understand that the hotel is no longer called Heritage and that the Extended Stay America has combined several hotels and did a little bit of re-painting, some slight remodeling and such and that other hotels in the area price gauge during the Rodeo Cook Off. They do this because of company's that bring in the cook teams, business associates, guest of the Tents. Corporations and company's can afford to pay the outrageously high prices, unfortunately those of us on Committee's can’t.

Let me reassure you that I enjoy staying at this hotel. It is small and quaint and the price was right. However, this year your prices have increased, for the first time is not allowing me to pay in advance at the normal rates for the dates that I wish to stay (during the Cook Off). This is when I have to work my volunteer shifts. I work from morning until night all during the Cook Off itself. The BBQ Committee serves the public and all of the Committeemen that are working/volunteering during this time. Although I really enjoy your hotel, I feel that you can’t compete with the other hotels in the area and their amenities in which you lack. So I feel that your increase in cost is outrageously unwarranted and that you are going to lose loyal customers. I strongly urge you to reconsider the cost increase during the dates of the Rodeo Cook Off or to allow us few that do pay in advance to reap the benefit of doing so. I really want to continue my support of your establishment but feel if I have to pay the higher cost then I need to receive the most for my money and may have to go elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I apologize that our nightly rate was not in line with your expectations for our hotel. Please know, these rates are devised using a number of key metrics and update as needed. It is not our intention to cause any guest to be inconvenienced by the cost, including yourself.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate all your thoughts. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at med@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.