“Service so bad, we didn't get to try the food”

Natachee's Supper 'n Punch
Ranked #895 of 8,237 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
London, United Kingdom
“Service so bad, we didn't get to try the food”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Tried to go to Natachee's on a Fri night for some food and a few drinks before a soccer match. We'd allowed about 75 mins, which we thought would be long enough, as the place was less than half full, and we advised them when we went in that we were in a bit of a rush. It took about 5 mins for them to come over and finally seat us. We were then told that they'd bring us over a menu "when they could find a free one" - I've never been anywhere that doesn't have enough menus, as you'd think it was quite a basic requirement for a restaurant. After about 20 mins of trying to get anyone's attention, we finally got up from our table and walked over to where a member of staff was and asked about ordering drinks. 5 mins later, she came to take the order. 15 mins later she brought over the drinks and a menu (1 between 5 of us!), and about 30 seconds later asked if we were ready to order - give us a chance to read the thing please! Unfortunately, when she said she'd be back in 2 mins to take our order, she meant 10 mins, so by the time she came back we only had about 20 mins before we had to go, and clearly we weren't going to get our food in time, so we just asked for the bill (which came quickly enough....) and went somewhere else to grab something quick. Very disappointed, and won't be going back to sample the food at any point.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank travels_ahoy

Austin, Texas
“Old School Fun in Downtown Houston”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was recently in Houston with my family for the weekend, we were meeting some friends who live downtown for a late Sunday breakfast before heading out of town. They suggested Natachee's, we had no idea what it was but I'm glad they picked that place.

There is a pretty extensive menu of comfort foods, since we were there at 10 a.m. we didn't get to sample them. But the breakfast food was definitely comforting, and everyone in our party enjoyed the meal. I had the biscuits and gravy with eggs, the gravy had some seasoning in it (it was orangish rather than white) and was delicious. I also sampled some of my kids' pancakes (which were good), had some of the fruit from my wife's overflowing fruit bowl, and sampled a bite of the breakfast sliders (quite spicy with the jalapenos). All in all, it was really good food.

The place started to fill up as we were there, and we noticed a growing lag in the time it took our server to make it back to our table. But all the servers were very friendly and accommodating of the multiple kids in our group, and most of the folks in the place seemed to be there to enjoy a lazy Sunday rather than to get their food quickly and run out again.

There are two real jewels at Natachee's. The first is the "punch" in their "Supper 'n Punch" name. They have a number of specialty punches (and also very good bloody mary's to start your weekend), I tried the Triple Dog Dare Punch and thought it was great. The other is the outside area. They have a great (small) stage for live music, and a couple fenced-in areas where kids can play (including a nice sandbox area). It wasn't particularly hot (yet) when we were there, but there were several shade trees providing some relief from the 80 degree temps and humidity.

I would recommend Natachee's to folks looking for some decent, honest cooking and for folks who are looking to enjoy themselves and relax in an environment where kids can also roam freely and safely. I will definitely try to get back there on my next trip to Houston

• Visited April 2013
Houston, Texas
“Fried Green Beans & Chili Cheese Fries! You Read That Right!”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I am telling you that if you are in the mood for an appetizer you should really consider the fried green beans (even if you don't normally like green beans). They are fantastic, cruncy and fresh on the inside and fried to perfection with a spicy ranch dipping sauce. We usually bring friends along when visiting and not one has ever disliked the fried green beans (even those we have had to convince trying it in the first place). The chili cheese fries are also quite delicious (particularly if you are in the mood for some of that heart-attack-on-a-plate comfort food, which I sometimes crave). I've had the burgers, the yankee chili mac, the meatloaf, and the chicken fried chicken - to be honest the entrees are average, each dish had a component that I felt could be improved but my husband really likes the food and I'm always willing to try something new on the menu. I'd also like to mention Natachee's Sucker Punch - it is wonderful, and so sweet I hardly can detect the alcohol (it's in there though, so drink carefully!). The atmosphere is fun and friendly, outdoor patio seating with a stage that hosts live music regularly. Prices are reasonable and kids meals come in a tin lunch box - very cute. The Continental Club is next door as well as a few rockabilly-type shops.

• Visited March 2013
houston, texas
“Try the fried Pickles!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Yup Fried Pickles are best in Houston--huge amount, lightly breaded and sooooooocrispy! You can order the turkey burger (moist) or the cesar salad (fresh) to go with it--
Or if you're up for adventure-- try any breakfast offering with'em--You will love it--
Great waitstaff, great venue-- outside in springtime is fab. Kids little metal lunch boxes to eat out of when they order-- lots of room for kids to play--Yea!

• Visited February 2013
Everywhere
“Not so much”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Ok so I've been reading the city's best in the Houston Press so I been trying a few of these spots that were highly rated. The extra star is for the random drum and accordion player who showed up and ran around playing music for a few minutes then ran out the back door lol. I went for dinner/drinks. Sat at the bar. To be sitting directly at the bar with 2 bartenders behind, it could have been better. Wasn't too bad but it wasn't good. Tried whatever the blue punch is, supposed to be like a long island,, and according to the bartender the strongest of their punches. I'll have to beg to differ. Didn't feel a thing after drinking that thing on an empty stomach. So on to why my stomach was still empty

Ordered the chicken friend chicken(gravy on the side please) with mashed potatoes(gravy on the side pls) and mac and cheese. Of course I got a plate with a mound of gravy on the chicken and mashed potatoes. Wasn't even sure where the chicken was it was so much gravy. Mentioned it to the bartender. "oh do you want me to send it back"? Well yeah, this is exactly why I asked for it on the side after seeing the guy next to me with a plate of overflowing gravy. Just too much for me.

So got my dinner another 10-15 min later. Chicken fried chicken was nice and crispy. That gravy, It didn't taste like anything to me to be honest. Not flavorful at all. Anytime I have to add salt/pepper to food already prepared it just ain't right. Mac and cheese had to be kraft. Not even as good as Velveetas out the box. I'm not a great cook by far but mine is better than this crap. Mashed potatoes were ok. Forgettable. I would just get the chicken again to go and make my own gravy. Theirs is no way worth the calories your body is ingesting.

One star for the food, one star for the cool austin like atmosphere and1 for the band. I prob won't be back.

Visited October 2012