“Cute and Convenient” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Friends House Hostel

Friends House Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Houston
Friends House Hostel
You added Friends House Hostel to your Saves list
Ranked #12 of 37 Specialty Lodging in Houston
Adelaide, Australia
“Cute and Convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

we only stayed here one night on our second stop of our USA trip and we loved it... We had a private room with share bathroom. It was very clean and tidy. Surrounded by trees and wildlife we loved the whole vibe here. walking distance to the city and staff were extremely helpful and gave us directions and a map etc. would recommend to anyone passing through Houston. Only fault was their pillows being very uncomfortable but i did keep in mind that it was a budget hostel and i am fussy with pillows. So all round great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank laura m

Families
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

This place is great. I had a private room with private kitchen and a shared bathroom. It was clean and comfortable plus you get a free breakfast in the morning. The host, Leah was amazing and very friendly. If you need any travel advice or anything she is always willing to help out. She also gives you a map, some brochures and a Space Center voucher on arrival which is great. Trust her when she says that you can't walk Houston! I tried it and my feet suffered a lot! The area is safe and so is the city. I will definitely be going back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank MariaJM1980
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed with a couple of friends in the dorm and were amazed of how nice atmosphere there was. I've never written a review about anything before but this place calls for one. The hosts, Leah and Danny are very friendly people and you can see they enjoy what they do. Their kindness spread through the guests without any of the hostel-hippie that you find at most places with flags all over and beer drinking receptionists.

In the common kitchen they have free noodles, phone with free calls to USA and Canada. The hostel is situated in the old German settlement of the city. I didn't care that much for the city on my travels but I did indeed enjoy the hostel.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Viktorfromsweden
Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We finished our road trip in Houston at this hostel. It was prefect for us we stayed in the mixed dorm. It was clean with a lovely sitting area and kitchen. It felt more like a little holiday let than a hostel. The owner was lovely and had lots of advice to give on places to visit etc. The only downside to the hostel was trying to find it when arriving at night in the dark. The hostel is a house on a residential street with only a very small sign so is not at all obvious. I would recommend staying here to friends, its in a really charming neighborhood.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank bowsera
Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed in a private room that was minimal but acceptable -- bare wooden floors, thin foam mattress -- but with an air conditioner that really cranked. (Houston is hot pretty much all the time.) Location is great, in an older 'hood just a few blocks from the glittering downtown and a 30-min walk (20 the way I walk) to Minute Maid Park. A few street people about, but it didn't feel dangerous to me.

Free breakfast and coffee in the mornings! Hard to beat.

The couple who run the hostel are quite warm and inviting. The man, Danny I believe, planted himself in the street one morning and did tai chi with swords -- bare-chested -- more weird than interesting ... then tried to get me to sign up for classes. No thanks!

Overall, excellent value for your money, even more so in the dorm.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank neal f
Venice, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Charming place in the oldest area of Houston, probably one of the most interesting. Lovely houses and streets. Rooms are very rough. We had a good time apart from having all our stuff moved from one (private) room to another while we were out without even receiving a phone call to ask first. And when we complained politely about that the lovely girl that works there (Leah) turned into a chihuahua. We were really surprised after the great welcoming we'd received beforehand. To balance that out, Danny was a great host and character. He provided us with a free half an hour self-defence class, which then turned into a whole evening of self-defence: exhausting but very entertaining and useful. Anyhow, we then got robbed and mugged several times during our 6 months southamerican travel (not your fault Danny!)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Giacomo M
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Leah and Danny are friends!, My business takes me to many hotels around the world, yet a hotel is just a place to stay. At Friends house, you get to sample real people and experience the real culture that Houston has to offer.
Here you have everything you need and much more Leah and Danny are the best hosts I have ever met! Friendly, kind and helpful. They helped me find my way about, advised me on some great resturants and bars. On the last day before travelling back to the UK, I lost my wallet and had no money. Leah and Danny took me to the airport in their own car! Thank you Leah & Danny you are friends forever and I will never forget you!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business