“Great location, free breakfast”

Friends House Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Houston
Friends House Hostel
Ranked #17 of 51 Specialty Lodging in Houston
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed in a private room that was minimal but acceptable -- bare wooden floors, thin foam mattress -- but with an air conditioner that really cranked. (Houston is hot pretty much all the time.) Location is great, in an older 'hood just a few blocks from the glittering downtown and a 30-min walk (20 the way I walk) to Minute Maid Park. A few street people about, but it didn't feel dangerous to me.

Free breakfast and coffee in the mornings! Hard to beat.

The couple who run the hostel are quite warm and inviting. The man, Danny I believe, planted himself in the street one morning and did tai chi with swords -- bare-chested -- more weird than interesting ... then tried to get me to sign up for classes. No thanks!

Overall, excellent value for your money, even more so in the dorm.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank neal f
There are newer reviews for Friends House Hostel

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Charming place in the oldest area of Houston, probably one of the most interesting. Lovely houses and streets. Rooms are very rough. We had a good time apart from having all our stuff moved from one (private) room to another while we were out without even receiving a phone call to ask first. And when we complained politely about that the lovely girl that works there (Leah) turned into a chihuahua. We were really surprised after the great welcoming we'd received beforehand. To balance that out, Danny was a great host and character. He provided us with a free half an hour self-defence class, which then turned into a whole evening of self-defence: exhausting but very entertaining and useful. Anyhow, we then got robbed and mugged several times during our 6 months southamerican travel (not your fault Danny!)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Giacomo M
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Leah and Danny are friends!, My business takes me to many hotels around the world, yet a hotel is just a place to stay. At Friends house, you get to sample real people and experience the real culture that Houston has to offer.
Here you have everything you need and much more Leah and Danny are the best hosts I have ever met! Friendly, kind and helpful. They helped me find my way about, advised me on some great resturants and bars. On the last day before travelling back to the UK, I lost my wallet and had no money. Leah and Danny took me to the airport in their own car! Thank you Leah & Danny you are friends forever and I will never forget you!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tolga D
Reviewed March 28, 2012

This is a fantastic hostel run by a very nice couple. We checked in very late and were given an amazing welcome with lots of advice on Houston. Nothing bad to say about this place, location, service and atmosphere were all top notch. I would absolutely recommend this place and would definately return should I visit Houston!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris P
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Danny and Leah who run the place are super friendly (pun intended) and seem to want to offer a help and tips to their guests. You basically get a house with 2 bedrooms, lounge and kitchen. Stayed in a private room which was quite large and they had double beds!
They had a bit of a mixup with our booking and we had to stay in the dorm room (which was fine) for one night. They happily deducted this inconvenience from the cost - showing marvellous customer service.
Very easy to meet people as its a chilled out place.
Cleanliness was good - depends on who you're staying with ofcourse.
Was a short walk to the river where you can walk along the bike path to the city.
Houston is a pretty quiet city so you're gonna want to venture away from the CBD which is fairly easy using the bus systems - all in walking distance from the hostel.
Overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank jumbz55
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I stayed at Friends Hostel and I must say I really enjoyed myself. I got to know the owner really well. Her name is Leah. She is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Jimmy J
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Waw! A great hostel, you feel so welcome here! It's only 5 minutes walk from downtown, and nearby public transport. The private rooms are roomy and comfortable. The owner Leah is great. After one week touring I came back and it was as I came home. For solo travelers a greta place to make new friends! I definitly come back to this hostel. The are is also very quiet.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo