“Close your eyes and you could be in Italy”
Review of Piola

Piola
Ranked #254 of 8,353 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Elgin
Transit: Bus stops right in front of Piola and the metro rail is at a 5 minute walking distance.
Description: In 1986, in the heart of Treviso, ITALY, a new idea takes shape: the re-invention of the most quintessential Italian establishment: the Pizzeria, that idea is now a wonderful reality called PIOLA. The success achieved in Italy by Piola has started to spread around the world: Piola’s quality is now sought after by discriminating and trend-setting international clientele in the United States, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Turkey and coming soon Honduras. At Piola, the most genuine Italian tradition of simple and delicious food combines cleverly with a particular service and ambiance for the demanding and modern customer, who chooses Piola aware of the fact that feeling comfortable is as important as eating well. People from all walks of life and backgrounds meet and gather at Piola, since they are sure to find their own space in an atmosphere that balances freedom and well being with good taste.
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Came here after a recommendation from Italian friends. We arrived early, before 6pm, and even though husband was late, we were allocated happy hour prices for pizza ($8 each). The restaurant is not huge but there is outside dining available. It is tiled, colourful with a bar along one wall. It has Italian staff and the feel is of a pizzeria in Italy.

The menu has many different pizza options: both with and without a tomato sauce base. There are some pasta and meat dishes along with more salads options. The starters were not very inspiring, though.

Husband and daughter had Diavola with pepperoni sausage. Comment was that it was not nearly devellish enough, but tasty after a generous addition of chilli flakes. Son had Carbonara with egg and bacon and cheese and that was polished off and I had Parma with eggplant. This last was good, especially after I added plenty of chilli flakes, too. The dough was thin and crispy with a wood-fired taste. There is an option for a thicker crust, if you want.

There are also some desserts, but we did not have room for them, we greatly enjoyed this restaurant and will definitely come here again if we want pizza.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

Pizza has crispy or Neapolitan crusts. great sauce and cheese. a bit loud. Loved the salad and homemade dressings.

Reviewed February 3, 2012

Being Italian I always enjoy a real Italian pizza, I go to La PIOLA regulary whenever we want to feel " home".
Nice and relaxed atmosphere.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

South of midtown, trendy, great food & atmosphere, friendly staff, homemade gnocchi. Outstanding & unique salads, brick oven pizza & basic Italian. Sounds like basic Italian but they put together the most savory dishes and for a reasonable cost. Give it a try, you won't be sorry.

Reviewed July 16, 2011

Piola is one of the few genuinely Italian restaurants in Houston. This restaurant, with it's unpretentious ambiance, is conveniently located on the cusp of trendy Midtown and Downtown. The food is excellent and the ingredients are fresh and moderately priced.
We had a large group and jumped at the opportunity to "taste test" several dishes. The mozzarella di buffala was excellent quality and a nice size. The gnocchi (a test of a good chef) were light and soft and the tomato sauce was excellent (simple and fresh with no hint of the heinous dried basil used by other Italian restaurants).
The pizzas were good although one of our group did not like the sausage at all. I tried it and didn't like it either but I wouldn't have ordered it.
I decided to venture away from the pizza this time and try the pasta. I ordered the fettuccine al ragú and they were excellent.
After dinner we ordered 2 desserts for the table; a tiramisú and the profiteroles (a weakness of mine since childhood). The desserts were edible but unexciting. I won't lie, I polished off the profiteroles but I have had better.
Overall I love this restaurant and can quite safely say that it is one of the few Italian restaurants in Houston I will even set foot in.

1  Thank Boccaccia