“Go for the food, return for the service”

Saldivia's South American Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Saldivia's South American Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #202 of 8,283 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: South American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Lovely atmosphere with warm colors, beautiful bar and private room for parties.
Florida Panhandle, Florida
“Go for the food, return for the service”
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

So I found myself in Houston for business and having a quiet night off for a change, located Saldivia's right around the corner from my hotel. I like South American food and wine, especially the wine, so I thought I would have a nice quiet dinner to myself. Looking over the wine list I saw a great selection of wines from Argentina and Chili as well as a grape from Uruguay, "Tannat" that I had never heard of. I questioned Gus about this wine and he explained that it is similar to a Spanish or Italian wine and that it is more of an old world style rather than the new world style you expect to see from South America. I ordered a bottle of Tannat and a spinach and cheese empanada for starters. My main dish was the Asado with grilled vegetables. I enjoyed a nice dinner with a great new bottle of wine and it was all excellent. The steak and grilled veggies were done perfectly and well seasoned. The wine was a nice complement to the dinner and left me with a new found treasure. This is a wonderful and personable place. They truly care about their customers and believe that the meal should be an experience for all the senses. Don't miss Salvidia's if you have the chance.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Bob S
csaldivia, Owner at Saldivia's South American Grill, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Thank you for the review, it was a pleasure serving you!
Gus Saldivia

Calgary, Canada
“Bacon wrapped shrimp was awesome”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

While in Houston for business we found Saldivia's on Tripadvisor's suggested restaurants to eat at in Houston. We were not dissapointed! The waiter suggested empanadas for an appetizer and we tried one beef and one spinach/cheese. The spinach and cheese one was definitely our favorite. For dinner we both had the bacon wrapped shrimp with roast potatoes and vegitables and it was so delicious. The portion was huge and I had to give up before I had finished everything. For desert we tried the tres leche cake and the creme brule. Both were very good but we were just so full from dinner we couldnt eat much of either. I would highly reccomend Saldivia's to anyone looking for great flavorful food.

Visited April 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. We hope to see you again!
Gus Saldivia
Boulder, Colorado
“Argentina in the Strip Mall”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Authentic place..haven't gone through the whole menu - but tastes very nice..not 5 star however. The main plus is the family friendly atmosphere. You can go there business or family and relax and have a nice and reasonable dinner. Not as good as some places in Buenos Aires - but pretty close for Houston standard. The owner is around and authentic, too. Hard to find in Houston where some German places are run by Mexican owners. They have good lunch deals as well. Definitely more relaxing than the 'high octan" Brazilean churascerias in the neighborhood of Westheimer, where you spend twice as much and dont have the relaxed atmosphere...

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Mike B
csaldivia, Owner at Saldivia's South American Grill, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for the review! We loved serving you and look forward to seeing you again.
London, United Kingdom
“If you can't fly to Buenos Aires this weekend - then come to Saldivia's!”
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

An amazing menu of all of my Argentine favourites - from the empanadas, the parrilladas, the vacio, and more! Finishing off the evening with tiramisu or flan with a great serving of dulce de leche. The atmosphere is excellent and is well accompanied on the weekends with live tango music and excellent bottles of wine. This restaurant will not disappoint. One of my very favourites of Houston!

csaldivia, Owner at Saldivia's South American Grill, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. We enjoyed serving you and welcome you any time!
Austin, Texas
“We went on a bad night?”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Based upon the glowing reviews here, we drove 20 minutes from our Houston hotel, hoping to find delicious Latin American food. At first, we thought we were at the wrong place. We found Saldivia's in a nondescript strip mall and the place was empty except for one other couple. We have traveled extensively in South America, and we know what good Latin American food is (see my review for Americas, another Houston restaurant). We first ordered the beef empanadas, which were a poor representation of one of our favorite appetizers. My husband then had the entrana, a beef skirt steak, which was good but not special. I ordered a breaded chicken breast with mozzarella and tomatoes, which had no flavor. To my horror, I found a tiny piece of wire (maybe from a wire pot scrubber?) that had been baked into the chicken. The restaurant's owner/manager who was there that night, and who was not the older man in the photo, seemed like a very nice guy. I didn't complain, though I left all but a few bites on my plate, and we paid our pricey bill and left hungry. I hate to give bad reviews, but I want to warn my fellow travelers about this place. We can't believe this is one of the top-rated restaurants in a city with so many very fine restaurants!

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank 61adventuregirl
csaldivia, Owner at Saldivia's South American Grill, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
I am sorry you did not enjoy your dinner. I do appreciate that you provided feedback so that we can strive to do better. This review was quite a surprise as we have never had one bad review before. I would love it if you gave us another chance. I will personally take care of you.
Christina Saldivia