“Much better than RDG!!!”
Review of Philippe Restaurant and Lounge - CLOSED

Philippe Restaurant and Lounge
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Great Uptown
Cross street: San Felipe
Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

This place has been opened for several months, but up until last night my husband and I tried it.
Pros:
- complementary valet service
- great food. Very well presented and tasty.
- great selection of wines by the glass.
- super nice, modern, stylish atmosphere.
Cons:
NONE

I am so glad we found this place as I spend a lot of time in that area. I used to go to RDG but their food can not even compare to Phillipe's. RDG is just about the atmosphere and that is it.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

We sampled Philippe as part of HRW, and were blown away. The ambiance is comfortably modern, soft tones and materials, but nice accents. Melony provided excellent, delightful service , which was efficient without being intrusive. We each had separate choices on the 3 course menu, and all were superb with ample portions, no reduced size HRW portions. This definitely is one of the best dining places in Houston. We will be returning for dinner.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is a great addition to Houston dining. I started with crab and avacado salad -- hard to screw up admittedly, but done well with a nice presentation. My monkfish was excellent and I tried some scallops too, and they were great.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Philippe in Houston has been open about 15 months, and has a lot going for it. However, they are sometimes regrettably off the mark. The service is great, and, another bit of good news, Philippe’s 4-6:30 pm happy hour offers good prices for beer, house wines and well drinks. Ambience is good, as well.

I tried the confit tamales, apparently one of the specialities. I love canard confit, but I was disappointed with this fusion concoction. I could not taste the duck, which was overwhelmed by the tamale flavoring. My friend had veggie risotto, which was only fair. The rice was less than perfectly cooked. For dessert, we shared the Grand Marnier crêpe soufflé. The crepe was disappointingly thick. The Grand Marnier sauce, though, was outstanding.

Also outstanding was Philippe’s classic beef tartare. It was tangy and spiced, just the way I like it. It rivals the best I’ve ever had.

Try Philippe’s. It’s worth it for the gracious service and atmosphere. The tartare is excellent. I will go back.

1  Thank Travelinpalladin
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We have lunch at Philippe, Service great, appettizer very good, main course "lacking of flavor and quality of meats", dessert very good.
Nice ambience.
We coming back for dinner to taste a dinner menu.