“1st Anniversary in same Room1801”

The Westin Houston Memorial City
Ranked #22 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“1st Anniversary in same Room1801”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

We were delighted to see fresh strawberries/chocolate and champaine when we went up to our room!!

Just like they had for us the night of our wedding last year!!

We will stay there every year for our anniversary, great experience!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Russell G
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Greetings; Thanks for the great comments and for selecting our hotel to celebrate your recent milestone! I will share your comments with our staff, as they will be so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciated their service. We look forward to you celebrating your anniversary with us again next year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

We needed to drop of one of our cars to a Houston dealership recently, and combined this trip with a family visit. The moment we drove up, there was attentive staff to take care of us. They kept our new Rolls-Royce parked in front of the hotel, keeping it safe the entire time, our room was excellent on the top floor close to an amazing pool deck. Room service was quick and reasonable. The bathroom was large, cleaned and stocked with better toiletries. I don't usually care for "chain" hotels, but this one exceeded our expectations in every way. We will return.

Room Tip: Ask for the top hotel floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ricky C
Greetings; It seems you had an enjoyable stay! We do get a lot of positive feedback and appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. We look forward to your future visit to the Westin Houston Memorial City!
Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

I was staying at this hotel for couple of weeks.
It had good and bad sides with no breakfast , but their breakfast was itself too poor !!!
On my last day , after check out , i decided to use Bell desk .
On my way back , i recognised that I can not see my 2 Clarks shoes (totally new).
Then you called them , wrote them by email. they even did not take care. At the end of the day. They sorry, we can not help you .. They did not try to find and send my shoes back... If i left it ought to be there or if its stolen by personel, they needed to compensate it somehow and give me money at least...
Do recommend you to be very carefull if you decide to stay there!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank nepheliads
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Greetings; thank you for bringing this to my attention, I was extremely concerned to read your comments about the missing shoes. I did find your shoes sitting in our luggage storage room with a claim check attached to them. It appears that the bellman who retrieved your belongings did not realize that there were two checked items. I sincerely appologize for our oversight and the obvious concern it caused you. Please call me at 281-501-4360 so that I can make arrangements to have the shoes retruned to you. I sincerely do appologize for our oversight and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you.
Mark Weatherill - General Manager
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

There are no words to explain how rude this staff was to my wife and I. Not only did they RUIN our wedding night, they charged us double and we never got a Im sorry from the GENERAL hotel manager. The night of our rehearsal dinner my then fiancé checked in, the room was already paid for and my credit card was already on file yet they took her card and would not let her check in (she had her wedding dress and all her belongings) it took 45 min for her to get to her room (we reserved it days in advance yet it wasn't ready) we reserved the biggest suite for 2 days day of wedding and wedding night. The morning of the wedding they rushed her to check out a man kept coming to our suit and bothering my fiancé because she had not checked out ( i booked the room two nights!) she called the front desk and said why is this man bothering me when we booked this room for two nights. They said my fiancé had to check out and then check back in. She had to pack EVERYTHING and leave. We came back to our wedding night (we had already paid 2 nights or else we would have gone elsewhere!!) the room was FLIPPED over like as if some one wanted to rob the room, cushions from the couch stacked on the coffee table, drawers open the bed wasnt turned down.. DISASTER!!! I called the front the supervisor came (my wife in her wedding dress and i was in my tux still) it took him about 30 min to get up there so we didn't want to "start our night" he came apologized and gave us free breakfast vouchers! Come on!! Why not room service for the newlyweds? He did send up wine? Why not champagne? (Which took another 30-45min) The room service made my wife get the tray he didnt set it up, and what happens, the man dropped the wine bottle and glasses and it broke all over my wife in her wedding dress!!! The manager then comes up and apologizes and says just go into you room and close your bedroom door because i know its your wedding night and you want to get it started... What? The housekeeper didn't come until another 45 min later to clean it up. We had a housekeeper in our room at 245am! There are no words... We were exhausted and fell asleep in our clothes :( we tried to talk to the hotel manager never called us never tried to apologized. We tried to get a refund and we did but after he said this "you know what well if this is such a big deal then you know what i will refund you all your nights" I did care about this night but not as much as my wife, this is both our most important day of our new lives together! Its a shame that Westin never apologized.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roe01
Greetings; I was extremely dissapointed to read about your most recent experience at the hotel. The hotel prides itself on its customer service and we typically get very positive comments from our guests about their experiences at the hotel. It is evident by your comments/experience that we fell well short of both our expectations. I would truly welcome the opportunity to speak with you to better understand this extremely unfortunate and isolated situation. Please call me directly at 281-501-4360.
Mark Weatherill
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I was there this weekend for the salsa congress. Great location near shopping, restaurants. Hotel service was good, clean, bed comfortable, bathroom good size. Large shower. We had a very nice dinner @ the Grill restaurant. I have 1 major complaint elevators extremely slow after show many of us waited 1 hour or more. Every day when we would go to use the elevators we had to wait about 3-5 min. This is a very dangerous hazard. What if there is a fire or any other emergency and had to rush out you say take the stairs but If you would go use the stairs once you reached floors door are lock & you are unable to get in. Otherwise I would have given this hotel a higher rating.

Room Tip: Location is great there is an overpass from the hotel to Memorial City Mall. Near City Center Store...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Greetings; I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel and its many services. I do appologize for the wait times for elevators during your visit, the event that you attended at the hotel had almost 800 attendees which did result in longer wait times for elevators as the entire group attempted to return to their guestrooms after each session ended. The key card system we have in place for the guest elevators and stairwells is in place to provude our guests with increased security and peace of mind, the key card system restricts non registered guests from entering the guest tower and ensures that only our valued guests can gain access to the guest floors and rooms. The Exit stairwells also have a key card system to prevent access from the lobby areas and meeting space to the guest floors, the stairwells do exit directly out of the building and a card key is not required to exit the stairwells during an emergency.
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

The Westin is ideally lcoated just off the I10 freeway on Gessner, with the self parking entrance straight right beyond the hotel. It is very conveniently connected with a skybridge to the Memorial City Mall and Cheesecake Factory restaurant east of the hotel across the busy Gessner Road. It is also connected to the new Memorial Hermann hospital which is west of the hotel

The grill restaurant and the modern styled bar were both named 024 apparantly because of postcode envy by some for the 77024 area. Instead I went to eat at restaurants in the immediate neighbourhood, both Cheesecake Factory and Goode Company Seafood (behind the hospital) are within walking distance. And they have a very helpful free shuttle service taking you to one of the many restaurants in a three mile radius around the hotel as well.

The pool area on the 18th floor offer great views of the freeways and the big parking lots which are making up most of Houston, plus some nicely illuminated buildings with blue lines (which go red and green over Christmas!). However for sunbathing it is less ideal since there is still a roof above your head of the apartments section located above the hotel. Frankly I sneaked to the outside pool area of another hotel elsewhere in Houston to catch some January rays, the weather was brilliant during my stay :-)

The hotel functions very well, my only remarks could be that the keycards are not very reliable and had to be rewritten a couple of times ... and boy, do you need to have them handy for parking access, elevator access, room access, pool access. You get nowhere without a working keycard. And they did not ask me as a Gold SPG member about what "welcome gift" I wanted, I was so up front to ask about that myself and then indeed got some extra SPG points added to my account. So don't be shy.

And finally, if you have a very rare electric vehicle in Houston ... there is a two-car eVgo charging station just across the street behind the skybridge on the car park.

Overall recommended primarily for top location.

Room Tip: High floor rooms have great views. The freeway side does not have much noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

I stayed here in mid December for 2 nights. This hotel was the only good part of this trip to Houston. I arrived here a little past 3pm, which was earlier than stated on the reservation (4pm). I found the female front desk clerk to be very polite and friendly. I did have to wait about 35 minutes for them to get my room ready, which was fine. They gave me a bottle of water while I waited. I stayed in a suite on the 15th floor, which is approximately 875 square feet. This hotel has 22 floors and is quite modern, probably since it is only about 2-3 years old.

I chose self parking, which costs $13 per day. Valet parking is $19 per day. You will need to swipe your room key to enter and exit the garage. Just like all hotel garages, this one is tight, so I backed my car into the space. You can park on levels 2,3 &4. The charge $9.95 for in room wifi per day, but it is free in the lobby. I didn't need to use it, since I brought my ipad with me. On the 3rd floor they have a café and the walkway to the Memorial City Mall, which is across the street and has a Target.

The room contained a separate living area with a couch, end tables, chair and a flat screen TV. It also had a wet bar with a empty mini fridge, microwave and sink. I was surprised to find a extra half bathroom next to the living area, very nice! Behind the couch was a small table with 2 chairs. I thought the room was very clean.

The main bathroom was quite large. It included a spacious walk-in shower and a separate bathtub. The king size bed was comfortable. There was good water pressure in the shower, but I found the bathroom vanity to be a little small. Also, there was no towel rack by the shower, but it was still a very nice modern bathroom. There was a 2nd flat screen television in the bedroom and in the cabinet below it was a 2nd empty mini fridge. I actually prefer empty mini fridges so I can stock them with personal beverages. I don't really care for the mini bar fridges. This hotel room seemed like it was definitely designed for a man considering the small vanity in the bathroom and numerous ESPN channels on the TVs, but it was refreshing to stay in such a modern hotel room.

The hotel is located by I-10 in a very congested area, but I didn't hear a sound on the 15th floor. I really enjoyed my first stay at a Westin and would definitely return when I come back to Houston.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Greetings – thank you for your compliments to our hotel and staff! The main goal of our staff is to ensure that each guest feels comfortable and well taken care of, and it is nice to hear that we are accomplishing that. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay, and Happy New Year from The Westin Houston Memorial City!