“Standards at the Westin Memorial City slipping”

The Westin Houston Memorial City
Ranked #19 of 517 Hotels in Houston
“Standards at the Westin Memorial City slipping”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This was my second stay at this Westin since August. I was impressed in August.
Many of the staff have changed and standards have dropped. One day my room still hadn't been done by 6 pm so I had to chase Reception to ask for my room to be done.
The support for the Conference Rooms was also not at the same standard as in August. Guests should realize that a daily charge of $12 applies for car parking. I usually stay at the Hilton Westchase where there is no charge for parking.
There are better value hotels in Houston.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor as traffic all around the Westin is intense.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mark V
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Greetings; I sincerely do apologize that your experience at the hotel fell short of both our expectations. I can assure you that your most recent experience is not consistent with the usual high levels of service and satisfaction that we customarily provide to our guests. I hope you will make a return visit to, giving us the opportunity to provide you with a more consistent experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Dallas
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed at the property for a business trip and holiday party. The property is nice, newer, and well maintained.

I had several interactions with the staff that caused me to pause. First at check in, the agent seemed to grimace when I asked about the amenities that I should automatically receive as a platinum member. I wish this property had a SPG lounge. At the bar, I waited along time to place my drink order only to have the bartender wait on someone who arrived after me. At checkout, I had a voucher for valet parking and was curtly told by the agent that it could not be applied to my room sine I spent the night ( versus just attending an event). I also decided to take advantage of the New Balance workout clothing loan program. The shoes were new, but a size too small and the workout clothes were 2 sizes too big. I wish they would have just called and let me know the situation rather than let me be ready to workout and having to deal with size issues.

At breakfast the next morning, the room was freezing and I had to wear my coat. The table was set for four, and it was just me, so the server just scooted all of the place settings to the corner of the table, which I thought was odd. She also gave me the check before I had my meal, which felt very fast food.

I'll be back for business and hope the management can do some training with the staff.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank 2Texas_Travellers
Greetings. I appreciate you taking the time to forward along your comments regarding your visit to our hotel. We pride ourselves on our attention to detail and “going the extra mile” to ensure that our guests have a pleasant and comfortable experience during their stay with us. We receive consistent, positive feedback, but hearing about issues such as yours allows us to fine tune our services. I sincerely hope we have the pleasure of your return so that we can leave you with a more satisfying experience and the high opinion we strive for from all of our guests.
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 7, 2013

This hotel is relatively new, well run, clean, and very generic. Nothing special but it ticks most of the boxes.

My gripes: they don't have mini bars any more (this is lazy - Westin's should have mini bars). Road noise from adjacent i10 - best to ask for a room on the back side of the hotel.

The positives: big, quiet rooms with good bathrooms. Spotlessly clean. Friendly, efficient staff. Good restaurants in area. Attached to Memorial City Mall - good for shopping.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the back side of hotel away from I10 traffic noise.....
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jon T
Greetings; I appreciate you taking the time to post your review. We do have a great property in location which lends itself to a lot of enjoyment for our guests. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of having you come back again soon to the Westin Houston Memorial City to visit.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I was looking for a good hotel in a good area in Houston to stay a couple of nights before we left to Galveston for a Disney Cruise.
The Westin in Memorial City was an Excellent choice, like every other review about the hotel, it is newer, so it is very nice. We had a regular room on the 10th floor with a view of the Katy freeway. The beds are really comfortable and the bathrooms were modern with a rain shower head and a wand you can remove for showering your kids, great option. All in all the room was spacious and felt very clean and comfortable.
The service in the hotel was very good, we ordered room service the first night, the hotel dine in menu at 2 Am was actually pretty good but a bit pricey, not different than any other Westin or Sheraton hotel anywhere in North America.
The gym and pool area at this hotel is located on the 18th floor, its has great views of the Houston Skyline, the pool area is actually a great place to relax and enjoy a drink while your kids play in the pools, i have to admit that this is one of the coolest locations for a pool and gyms I've have ever seen at a hotel.
The hotel does have a restuarant, the 024 Grill which is good for dinner but a bit pricey again. The lounge looked very nice but we didn't go in as we had my 5 year old daughter with us.
The hotel is connected to a mall, so there are a lot of great places to shop near by and eat, I recommend the California Pizza kitchen for lunch.
The rooms do have fridges so you can go to Target in the mall and pick up milk and cerial for breakfast the next day instead of paying about $10 dollars at the hotel.

All in all this hotel does get my seal of approval, I would recommend it to any of my friends, great hotel in a great location near the freeway to get to any location desirable in the city of houston.

The hotel did not give me anything for being a Gold Member SPG, like other Starwood properties usually do, the only shame..

Room Tip: Hotel is located next to a mall when you can pick up cerial and milk for breakfast for cheap, or pic...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank 4EvaCanadian
Greetings; It seems you had an enjoyable stay! We do get a lot of positive feedback and appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. We look forward to your future visit to the Westin Houston Memorial City!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stayed for my birthday weekend, we got a suite and I'awesome and the view was super (19th Floor).
Tim at the bell staff took good care of us as we needed to go to the City Center for dinner. Transportation was nice since we are going to be out late.

Stephanie who took care of our reservations out did herself. THANK YOU!!!

Great Hotel and Super Service.

Room Tip: Pay parking or Valet only.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings; thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on our hotel! We do get a great deal of positive comments about the hotel. I will share your comments with our staff - they will be so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciate their service.
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a night on a family trip to Houston. Very nice and up to date rooms. Bathrooms are spacious with soft towels. It's right next to the I-10 Freeway but very quiet inside the rooms. Rooms are spacious. We slept 4 comfortably. Wifi provided with no added charge and up to six devices allowed per room. Well outfitted as a business hotel as well with a very functional desk area with easily accessed electrical outlets. The hotel is connected by a skywalk to the Memorial Mall across the street. Would recommend staying here for business or pleasure.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank steveprez
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
It sounds like you had a successful trip, and I was pleased to hear that we were able to play a part in that! Our top priority is to ensure that all of our guests, whether here for business or pleasure, feel comfortable and well taken care of. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of having you come back again soon to visit.
New York
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stay at the Westin frequently for business and I always have a nice stay. I have been in a few different rooms as I have sometimes been upgraded to a suite and even once to their residence suite which was more like a one bedroom apartment and amazing. All of the rooms have been nice though. The restaurant and bar are good as well, they have a buffet breakfast. They got rid of the club lounge which was a little disappointing.
They have a nice fitness center and a great infinity pool and got tub on the 17th floor. Even though it overlooks the highway it is nice to relax in the evening especially in the hot tub.
Hotel is within walking distance to the mall so if you have some free time it is a good place to just walk around and kill some time.
Also can take the hotel shuttle to the Taste of Texas for a great steak meal.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a room on the 16th floor under the pool, you can hear the water!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank uraqc
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Greetings; Thank you for your compliments to our hotel! The hotel does indeed have a great location and offers many amenities, including the Heavenly Beds, Westin Workout, and Infinity Pool, in order to ensure that our guests receive the very best experience during their visit with us. We are passionate about making sure each one of our guests feels comfortable and well taken care of, and we are always pleased to hear that we were able to accomplish that. We hope to see you back at the hotel very soon.