“First class business hotel”

The Westin Houston Memorial City
Ranked #18 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Stayed 10 nights around the MTS Conference this month. This is my second stay and the facilities are excellent both from a conference point of view and staying as a guest. I was lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite during this stay and it is was very well appointed. The staff are always friendly and helpfull. Of course it isnt cheap ($300 per night without food) but I guess it's the going rate for a business-centric hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank john_ramsey_1962
There are newer reviews for The Westin Houston Memorial City

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Just a quick review from a non-guest. I did not actually stay at the hotel but felt my experience needed to be shared. I was set to deliver my baby at Memorial Hermann Memorial City Hospital which is connected (and I mean, you don't have to go outside to get from one to the other) to the Westin Hotel. 4 days before my due date by baby went from a deliverable position to a transverse breech position which requires a c-section. I was immediately scheduled for a c-section at 7:30am 4 days later, with a pre-op arrival time of 5:30am. After discussing with my husband and realizing we were looking at waking up at 4:30am we decided a stay at the hotel would be the best option. 2 days before the surgery I called the Westin to book a room for myself and my husband for the evening before the surgery. I was told the hotel was at capacity and they did not have a small block of rooms for emergency hospital patients. Apparently the hotel was filled for an oil and gas convention or seminar somewhere in town. Not only was the gentleman at the front desk un-empathetic, he also was unwilling to see what could be done to help, forcing me to ask for a manager. The female manager I spoke with was much more understanding but still said there was nothing she could do personally and would have her director call me in the early morning to see if he could oversell the hotel one room, one night for us so we did not have to wake up at 4:30am and drive to the hospital for my last minute c-section. Did I ever hear from him? No I did not. I will be discussing all of this with the hospital to make sure they understand that the Westin does NOT give favor to Hospital patients even though the hospital recommends the hotel frequently. Why would Starwood/Westin build their hotel directly next to and also connect it to the hospital if they were not going to affiliate with the hospital or at least save a small block of rooms for emergency situations? I am going to emplore the hospital to stop recommending the Westin because the Westin is doing nothing to facilitate that relationship.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank JointheHumaneSociety
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Greetings; Thank you for the comments, I sincerely do apologize that the hotel was not able to accommodate your last minute request for a guestroom. We have a very strong working relationship with Memorial Hermann and do work closely with them to accommodate their patients when they are visiting the Memorial City Medical Campus. It is evident by your comments that we should have done a much better job in our follow up with you and for that I sincerely do apologize, I was however pleased to read that our Manager on Duty did exhibit a great deal of empathy & understanding for your unique situation. The hotel receives a great many compliments about our service levels; I can assure you that this recent mis-step on our part does not in any way reflect the levels of service that we customarily deliver to our guests on a daily basis. I do hope that you will have the opportunity to stay at the hotel at some point in the near future and experience the hotel and the service levels for yourself.

Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is clean, and the rooms have high quality features. We stayed here for a week for a local event. It's a great location across from a mall with an adjoining skywalk. The bar atmosphere seemed cold & sterile. Prices were high & service was poor, although they were very busy. The restaurant was over priced & there weren't many choices. Might be ok for a night, but not for an extended stay. Service was ok but not very friendly. I called the front desk 1 night to see if the gift shop was still open for a snack. They said it was, but when I arrived down stairs it was locked, 5 minutes before their posted time. We don't choose or pay for our rooms, so not sure about the value. Starwood Preferred Group (Westin loyalty program) is very poor for company paid stays compared to Hilton or Marriott.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Larkin74
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Greetings; I sincerely do apologize that your experience at the hotel fell short of both our expectations. I can assure you that your most recent experience is not consistent with the usual high levels of service and satisfaction that we customarily provide to our guests. I hope you will make a return visit to, giving us the opportunity to provide you with a more consistent experience.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

My wife, baby, dog and I stayed for three days while we were moving out of our house, and preparing to move to Angola. We checked in with 25 pcs of luggage, of which they graciously stored for us. We stayed Ina suit, and everything was perfect. Our baby loved the crib and our dog loved the dog bed. The pool was nice (heated) and the hotel offers a sky bridge that connects to the mall. When the car service came to pick us up for the airport, all 25 bags were ready to be loaded at 6am. Well worth the money.

Room Tip: Stay in room 1601 It is the largest of the exec. suites located at the end of the hall.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Hark1213
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Greetings ; Thank you for the great feedback! We are delighted that you choose the Westin Houston, Memorial City for your stay prior to relocating to Angola. A move of that scale must be challenging for you and yoru family, glad we were able to make your last three days in Houston as stress free as possible. Please come back and see us again when you are visiting Houston.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

The Westin Memorial City Hotel in Houston is a nice alternative to staying downtown or in the Galleria area, especially if you have business to do in the Energy Corridor. The rooms and the whole hotel is very clean and bright (it just opened in the last 2 years), but the design and contemporary decor may not be to everyone's liking. The hotel itself is also squeezed into an odd sized plot of land right next to the I-10 and the Hermann Memorial Hospital. It has the benefit of being connected via walkway to the Memorial City Mall, so if shopping is on your agenda you have some options there. However, if you are looking for nightlife, this isn't the neighborhood - you can find that a few block away (probably a cab ride for most) by the Beltway. The restaurant choices leave a little something to be desired (literally the menu choices are not many) and the temperature seems to be kept at a very chilly level. The lounge is nice, and the water feature looks cool at night - again a more modern atmosphere. Overall a viable option, though I hope the neighborhood gets more built up with options for dining other than the hotel restaurant. We held an event at the hotel, and the banquet and catering staff were very attentive and eager to please. The hotel should see quite a bit of event business given the location, so they need to continue to be good in this area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ken D
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Greetings; thank you for the feedback, we are indeed the newest 4 diamond hotel in West Houston and located just minutues from the Energy Corridor. The hotel does indeed do a great many conventions, Galla's and Weddings, we get great feedback from our meeting/event planners about the level of service in our meeting space and the great service from our Banquet Team.There is a new development opening directly next to the hotel called the Gateway, this pedestrian like area will feature numerous restaurants & shops, the first two restaurants will be open in November 2013, we also do provide complimentary shuttle transportation to the nearby City Center which also features numerous restaurants & shopping.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Beautiful new property close to lots in Memorial City. The prices are quite high for what you get (the location, amenities, etc). If the rates were more acceptable, I would've easily given a higher rating. Furthermore:

- Easily accessible to a lot (hospital included) in this area of Houston
- Stunning lobby with a full service restaurant (pretty good) and a lounge (awesome indoor water feature to experience while sipping a martini)
- Solid service (valet guys are the best, counter staff is average)
- Executive Club Lounge is on next to last floor. Comfortable with great views. Sadly, the breakfast here is rather lacking
- Traditional Westin rooms with all of the expected Westin features (like the rest of the hotel, everything is pretty new)
- It's also a true-to-form conference hotel with lots of over-caffeinated badge-wearing folks hopping about

I can't say that I'd stay here again simply because the rates are too high.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Greetings; Thanks for the feedback, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel and its offerings, we do get a great deal of compliments about the Valet and the waterwall in 024 Lounge. The hotel often has room rate specials and other special offerings throughout the year, I hope your able to take advantage of one of them and come back for another visit.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Attended a conference Sept 17-19, 2013 (conference only, live locally, no overnight stay). Excellent audiovisual system. Food for such a large group (above 500) also was excellent. Chairs very comfortable. Pre-pay parking made for fast, convenient deoarture at day's end.

Room Tip: Did not stay overnight, so cannot rate rooms, sleep quality, spa or individual breakfast; however th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank You for sharing your comments about your most recent experience while attending one of our many conferences at the hotel, we do get a great deal of positive comments about our Conference Center, I was delighted to read that you also experienced some of the great food and service our Banquets & Catering teams are known for. I hope we'll see you back at one of our upcoming events.