“Rates too high for what you get”

The Westin Houston Memorial City
Ranked #10 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Beautiful new property close to lots in Memorial City. The prices are quite high for what you get (the location, amenities, etc). If the rates were more acceptable, I would've easily given a higher rating. Furthermore:

- Easily accessible to a lot (hospital included) in this area of Houston
- Stunning lobby with a full service restaurant (pretty good) and a lounge (awesome indoor water feature to experience while sipping a martini)
- Solid service (valet guys are the best, counter staff is average)
- Executive Club Lounge is on next to last floor. Comfortable with great views. Sadly, the breakfast here is rather lacking
- Traditional Westin rooms with all of the expected Westin features (like the rest of the hotel, everything is pretty new)
- It's also a true-to-form conference hotel with lots of over-caffeinated badge-wearing folks hopping about

I can't say that I'd stay here again simply because the rates are too high.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Greetings; Thanks for the feedback, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel and its offerings, we do get a great deal of compliments about the Valet and the waterwall in 024 Lounge. The hotel often has room rate specials and other special offerings throughout the year, I hope your able to take advantage of one of them and come back for another visit.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Attended a conference Sept 17-19, 2013 (conference only, live locally, no overnight stay). Excellent audiovisual system. Food for such a large group (above 500) also was excellent. Chairs very comfortable. Pre-pay parking made for fast, convenient deoarture at day's end.

Room Tip: Did not stay overnight, so cannot rate rooms, sleep quality, spa or individual breakfast; however th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank You for sharing your comments about your most recent experience while attending one of our many conferences at the hotel, we do get a great deal of positive comments about our Conference Center, I was delighted to read that you also experienced some of the great food and service our Banquets & Catering teams are known for. I hope we'll see you back at one of our upcoming events.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

The positives: very well appointed hotel, spacious rooms, friendly and capable front desk staff. Good internet speed in room. Nice public space. Self-parking is just $12/day, which is pretty inexpensive for Houston in a good hotel. Skyway path to Memorial City mall means you can go for dinner or go shopping without having to get in the car, which is a nice plus. Workout facility is good - look, actual free weights!

The negatives: not many. Locating the hotel entrance on the first go is a bit tricky, even with GPS. My GPS unit got confused and so it took a few detours before I finally found it. After the first time, no problem. The 'business center' (which I considered using in order to use their printer) is a bit of a rip-off, minimum 30 minute charge. Why? Arbitrary and capricious. Lastly the 'infinity pool' is correct that it's an infinity pool, but it's so small, it's not really conducive to doing laps. If you're just looking for a dip in order to beat the heat, fine, but if you're looking for a workout, skip the pool and use the gym.

1  Thank MashPotatoes

Greetings; Thank You for the comments, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel and that you found many positives about the Westin Houston, Memorial City. I am sorry that your GPS made it difficult to find the hotel entrance, but see from your comments that you have been here many times since, I do appreciate your patronage and glad to read that you like the free weights and size of the fitness room, we get a great deal of very positive comments about our Westin Workout facility.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Lovely new hotel. Great location with easy access to the shopping Mall. The parking and access to the hotel is a little confusing, I got lost with my suitcase for 15 mins with no-one to assist. But once inside its like an oasis. The views are not beautiful, definitely a corporate hotel.

1  Thank Eric W

Thank You for the comments about your recent visit, the hotel opened in March 2011 and is indeed a lovely hotel which features some great amenities! We do see a great deal of business from our corporate accounts during the week, but do transform the hotel on weekends to accommodate our weekend guests who choose the hotel to celebrate a special occasion or to enjoy a weekend of relaxation, whether it be dining at one of the great area restaurants or enjoying some shopping at Memorial City Mall. Our Westin Weekends program offers late check outs on Sunday's and is very popular with guests.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Had a great stay at the hotel. Wonderful rooms, health club, attentive professional staff, nice restaurants, good location, good parking. Would stay here again. They really should make better use of the rooftop pool terrace however...maybe 2 hour Happy Hour and a bar, or something.

Booked a car at Hertz and specified Neverlost GPS (if you're not from Houston, probably a good choice). As reserved, I showed up on-time...no GPS, no apology, no senior management available to contact, dirty car, 1/3 full with gas, key fob didn't work. Hertz...in the words of my teens...FAIL! Avoid renting from Hertz, who have a kiosk at the Westin. I tried numerous times to contact Hertz to rectify...zero reply. Sheesh.

Room Tip: Choose the side away from Interstate 10.
2  Thank MikeVictWW

Greetings; thanks for the great feedback about the hotel! I was dissapointed to read the comments about the Hertz experience. We have had a long standing relationship with Hertz and have always received great comments about their service and attention to detail. I have shared your comments with their Area Manager so that we can eliminate any other isolated mis-steps. Thanks for the suggestion about the pool deck, we have recently added a great sound system and are now working on enhancing our food & beverage offerings. The views are spectacular from the pool deck, especially at night!

Reviewed September 21, 2013

This is a business and conference location. It's not particularly scenic, though there are some large parks nearby...just off I 10 and 50-60 minutes from G Bush airport. Easy for Downtown. Efficient service, quick and courteous. 24 hour gym a plus. Big comfortable beds. Sound insulation between rooms is good...minimal disturbance when sleeping. Good food for our conference, especially given catering was for 500...they ran cocktail events very well and our clients seemed to be very well looked after. The hotel transportantion is the same price as a standard taxi to the airport (international) so makes better sense, especially in rush hour. There´s a big shopping mall across the highway (the Macy´s in it was better value than in New York..and it has a skating rink) and several decent restaurants nearby as well..Flemings ..5 mins in free shuttle..does a very decent selection of beef if you want to leave the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Greetings; Thank You for the great comments about the hotel, our guests do indeed love all the amenities the hotel has to offer. The proximity to Memorial City Mall via the hotel sky bridge is a very popular feature fo the hotel. Memorial City is going through numerous great changes! Lots of new restaurants and shopping opening in the very near future and lots to do in the area. I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Just stayed at the Westin for the first time and I really liked it. I've tried some of the other places in the area and I'm glad I made this choice. It's a little more expensive than say the Sheraton, but the difference is noticable and worth the difference in price (IMO). The room I had was really nice and the bed was super comfortable (A+) and there was a good variety of pillows (very important for me anyway). The room was nice, there was a good desk, and the bathroom was nice and had a shower. I also appreciated the walkway over to the mall that comes out right at the Cheesecake Factory. The staff was nice (wasn't necessarily the case at my other area stays) and everything was super clean. ...But, about $20-40 more expensive than other similar caliper hotels...

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Dan1718
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

It sounds like you had a successful business trip, and I was pleased to hear that we were able to play a part in that! Our top priority is to ensure that all of our guests, whether here for business or pleasure, feel comfortable and well taken care of. I will forward your comments on to our staff, and they will be so happy to hear that their efforts are appreciated. We would love to have you visit us some time on a pleasure trip so that you can relax by the pool, take advantage of some great shopping and great food, and just unwind and recharge. Thank you for your wonderful recommendation.