“Nice hotel with enclosed walkway to Memorial City Mall”

The Westin Houston Memorial City
Ranked #18 of 510 Hotels in Houston
Palm Harbor, Florida
“Nice hotel with enclosed walkway to Memorial City Mall”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Nice rooms with comfortable beds and very friendly staff. There is a skyway / enclosed walkway to the Memorial City Mall & The Cheesecake Factory. The hotel provides a shuttle to anything within 4-5 miles. The only negative is they charge guests for wifi.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Greetings; thank you for your review on the hotel. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. It sounds like you were able to enjoy some of the many amenities we offer our guests in order to make their stay comfortable. From everyone on our staff, thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to a return visit in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed one night here with a few colleagues for a conference. I was worried upon arrival about noise since it's very close to a mall, next to a major hospital, and adjacent to a major highway. However, it was very quiet. The views from the room were excellent. The rooms and exterior were very clean and nicely decorated. The bathroom was roomy, although the vanity itself was small (fine for a couple, but we had 3 women sharing the room :). Plenty of outlets and mirrors. Bed was comfortable. Front desk service was very good.

Organization for the conference seemed somewhat harried. I worked registration as a volunteer, and I had the valet manager as well as the cleaning manager come by to ask about schedule, number of people expected where at certain times, etc. Seems like that should have been already in place. Food at the conference was decent. The cafe had a Starbucks, but they were not well prepared for the influx of conference attendees in the morning, and I had to wait almost 45 minutes for coffee. We had drinks at the 24 Lounge, which was nice but service was lacking. Someone broke a glass, and the person who cleaned up just barely ran a broom over the area, so we kept getting glass stuck in our shoes. The drink pricing was odd - I paid only $5 for a glass of wine, and my friend paid $10 for a large Shiner beer. Service at the restaurant wasn't much better, but the food was very good.

Self parking was cheaper than valet and I found it to be convenient. There are lots of stores and restaurants in the immediate area that you can walk to or take short cab ride, although if you are from out of town be warned Houston is not a cab-friendly town (long waits, not as available as in other big cities and seems pricier).

I did not get a chance to see the pool, but apparently they had it on lockdown, so conference goers not staying at the hotel couldn't even go view it. I found this a little odd. The whole hotel is pretty secured - key cards required to use elevators. Also there is a section of the hotel that is condo residences, which is where the larger suites are. We had an event in one of the suites, but it was very difficult for conference goers to get in and out of that secured area. Seemed again a little disorganized.

Overall, it was a pleasant experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Greetings – and thank you for your review! We are, of course, always pleased to hear that our guests enjoy our hotel and the efforts taken by our staff to make their visit a truly exceptional experience. I was concerned to hear that you had issues at our 024 lounge and grill, and I will be sharing this with our staff to ensure that this does not happen again in the future. Again, thank you for your comments, and I hope you will be back to visit us again.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Whilst the location is anything but central and the views from the rooms anything but desirable (a choice between freeways and a shopping centre), this hotel delivers.
The rooms are generous in size,modern and clean, the staff very obliging particularly the valet guys (and not solely motivated by the size of the tip) and surprisingly fair value.

Room Tip: Upper level looking away from the freeway.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Greetings; thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on our hotel! We do get a great deal of positive comments about the hotel, along with the quality of the guestrooms. I will share your comments with our staff - they will be so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciated their service.
Atlanta
Reviewed February 2, 2013

First let me say that I really wanted to like this hotel. I recently stayed at another Westin hotel and my experience was excellent so I expected this experience to be comparable.
Pros:
- The room was clean and modern-looking
- The hotel is much larger than I anticipated. It actually has conference rooms and had several business meetings going on there during our stay
- Parking is readily available in their parking garage for a fee
- The hotel has an indoor, covered walkway that goes directly to the Memorial City Mall. The mall is nowhere near as nice as the Galleria but it's fairly large
- The hotel has the green choice option where you can choose to forego your room being cleaned if you so desire for a $5 daily credit. I enjoy that feature about Westin because I don't have to be disturbed by housekeeping
- The fitness center was a good size. It had three treadmills, a few recumbent bikes, an eliptical, free weights, magazines, and cold towels available
- They provide two complimentary water bottles in the room
Cons:
- The service was lacking at check-in. When we checked-in there were several people waiting to check in at the same time. The person behind me got tired of waiting and ended up leaving the hotel
- The service at the the cafe was poor. I told the cashier that I wanted to charge my continental breakfast to my room and she asked me to pay for it. I asked if they allow me to charge my breakfast to my room and she sounded confused so I said I would just pay for it. Her response was "ok whatever"
- The cafe has limited food and drink options and is open limited hours. I was there for two days and it was closed in the afternoon both days. It appears as though the cafe is only open in the morning
- The bed was not Westin heavenly bed quality. In fact it was hard and uncomfortable. Besides the service, this was disappointing because I was looking forward to the heavenly bed
- This is minor but we always get ice from the ice machine. There was no ice bucket available in the room for ice
- We were on the Preferred Guest floor. From approximately 2:00 to 3:30 p.m. a female was loud. My husband told the employee at the front desk and the employee said that several guests complained about the same thing on our floor. He offered to give us hotel points but to be honest, the hotel points didn't make up for the rest that we didn't receive. If the hotel was alerted to the noise level by several guests, it seems like they should have tried to do something about it
I hope that this review is read by management and that management makes some changes

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Greetings; I sincerely do apologize that your experience at the hotel fell short of both our expectations. I can assure you that your most recent experience is not consistent with the usual high levels of service and satisfaction that we customarily provide to our guests. I hope you will make a return visit to, giving us the opportunity to provide you with a more consistent experience.
Albany, NY
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed two nights on business. The room was excellent. The facility is spotless and modern. The staff attentive. No sorts of noise from inside or out.
The skyway across the mall from the third floor makes accessing it easy. So, after dealing with Houston traffic I could just walk to an easy dinner there the first night and downstairs in the hotel the second.
Tip - As I was meeting others who would have cars, I took a cab from the airport. Returning I arranged for a car at the front desk. The car service was so much more comfortable and pleasant - best of all it was actually cheaper! From George Bush the cab cost $90. The car service was a flat $78! I'd call the hotel and arrange for the car to take you from the airport to the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Greetings; I appreciate you taking the time to post your review. We do have a great property in location which lends itself to a lot of enjoyment for our guests. From everyone on our staff, thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to a return visit in the near future.
Caracas, Venezuela
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Perfect location! I stayed there for business last November 2012 Unfortunately only stayed one night.
The staff were very friendly and The hotel has bridge access over to the Memorial City mall.
When we go back to Houston - we will always stay at this Westin

Room Tip: My room was facing the freeway and I can hear the cars .Wasn't noisy but it was audible
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Greetings; I appreciate you taking the time to share your compliments on our hotel. We do have a great property in location which lends itself to a lot of enjoyment for our guests. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of having you come back again soon to visit.
Red Oak, Texas
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I loved this hotel! The staff was wonderful and so attentive, The rooms were decorated nicely and I loved the bed, very comfy. The pool area was great, just wish it wasn't cold when I was there. The bar was very trendy and I really enjoyed just sitting in there and enjoying a drink. There is a bridgeway that takes you over to Memorial City Mall which is nice given the traffic in the area. All in all a great experience. I will definitely book this hotel again and also recommend to others!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Greetings; thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on our hotel! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and had the opportunity to take advantage of our special amenities that we offer to our guests. I will share your comments with our staff - they will be so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciated their service. We look forward to a return visit!