“Glad we finally tried it”
Review of Kata Robata

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Richmond
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My husband, son and I recently dined at Kata Robata on the HRW menu. Our server was very attentive and great with our son. We enjoyed the edamame hummus. The Hawaiian Amberjack Sashimi with foie gras was interesting to try....once. The sushi & roll plate was fantastic - I wasn't expecting so much food. It was nice trying new things, items we wouldn't typically order. The warm pear cake was ok. The decor is nothing special but clearly people are drawn here for the impeccably prepared and unique food.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I actually don't eat seafood so when friends want to head to a sushi place I'm usually stuck eating edamame and Miso soup and maybe a California Roll if I'm lucky. However, this place offers a special dish of Vegetarian Sushi specially prepared each day by the chef--it is Outstanding! Best Vegetarian Sushi I've ever had! And it's fabulous that it's not exactly the same each time you go back. I also tried the Miso Gyoza, which was very good as well, mildly spicy. My boyfriend had sashimi that he really enjoyed as well. The Beignets and Saint Arnold Root Beer Float dessert is delicious but really large (we had a hard time finishing it as 2) so either plan to save room or share between 3-4 people. Also, we sat at the Sushi bar, and even though I don't eat the seafood, it was very interesting to watch them making it. Plus during downtime the chef talks to you about the food.

2  Thank MsStarV21
Reviewed August 11, 2013

As a self proclaimed sushi aficionado and connoisseur, I am often very critical of Houston's sushi scene, which is often quite far from authentic Japanese taste. But in this case, I was impressed by Kata Robata, a creative "Japanese Tapas" type of concept which in addition to the creative appetizer dishes (including even Bone Marrow- super excellent) has a great authentic Japanese style nigiri sushi fare. I would highly recommend Kata Robata, because in comparison to some other sushi restaurants that have recently gained critical acclaim, Kata has a great combination of taste, quality, ambiance and value. It is not an inexpensive restaurant, but it is worth every penny.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Lunch special, simply prepared, very reasonably priced. I like this place and it is competitive with three other sushi places on the same block. This seems younger, hipper ( truth? I am neither but still love this place).

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Accept no alternatives: Kata Robata is our favorite restaurant in Houston, and its genial chef, Hori-san, is a delight. The sushi is superb, both traditional and some of Hori's own inventions, such as a scallop and seared foie gras nigiri or his pork belly roll with tiny slices of cooked quail egg and jalapeno. Other dishes are equally delicious and inventive and even the ramen, which we often have for lunch, is authentic and very tasty. Hori-san and his crew are true professionals. If you think of sushi and Houston and think "huh?", then think again and enjoy superb sushi at Kata Robata. It ranks with the best sushi I have had in NYC, LA and San Francisco.

1  Thank Andy G