“Awesome sushi experience for Central Houston”
Review of Kata Robata

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Richmond
Reviewed August 11, 2013

As a self proclaimed sushi aficionado and connoisseur, I am often very critical of Houston's sushi scene, which is often quite far from authentic Japanese taste. But in this case, I was impressed by Kata Robata, a creative "Japanese Tapas" type of concept which in addition to the creative appetizer dishes (including even Bone Marrow- super excellent) has a great authentic Japanese style nigiri sushi fare. I would highly recommend Kata Robata, because in comparison to some other sushi restaurants that have recently gained critical acclaim, Kata has a great combination of taste, quality, ambiance and value. It is not an inexpensive restaurant, but it is worth every penny.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Lunch special, simply prepared, very reasonably priced. I like this place and it is competitive with three other sushi places on the same block. This seems younger, hipper ( truth? I am neither but still love this place).

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Accept no alternatives: Kata Robata is our favorite restaurant in Houston, and its genial chef, Hori-san, is a delight. The sushi is superb, both traditional and some of Hori's own inventions, such as a scallop and seared foie gras nigiri or his pork belly roll with tiny slices of cooked quail egg and jalapeno. Other dishes are equally delicious and inventive and even the ramen, which we often have for lunch, is authentic and very tasty. Hori-san and his crew are true professionals. If you think of sushi and Houston and think "huh?", then think again and enjoy superb sushi at Kata Robata. It ranks with the best sushi I have had in NYC, LA and San Francisco.

1  Thank Andy G
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I'd heard good things about KR from friends and finally got a chance to try it at lunch. I enjoyed the sashimi bento. They were kind enough to swap out the chicken teriyaki for something else, since I don't eat chicken. It was delicious. Our waiter was extremely professional and friendly (I wondered whether he might be an owner, he seemed so invested in doing a great job!). Everything was fresh and delicious.The sashimi was fresh, tofu was tasty, salad…well everything. The price was very reasonable for this quality at lunch. I will definitely be back.

1  Thank Houstonalle4food
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Being form California & having had lots of Sushi up & down the coast not to mention some of the best in Hawaii, we were taken to Kata Robata by our young realtor & it was amazing. So when my sister came to town for my birthday, I chose Kata Robata & she also agreed that it is perhaps the best she's ever had. My 3 favorites that I will not go without when I go there: spicy tuna on crispy rice, tuna sashimi & the Kobe Beef skewers which are decadent.... Great service as well. One of my favorites....

1  Thank Loveeatpray