“Size Matters”

Cross street: Richmond
Houston, Texas
“Size Matters”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I have been going to this restaurant since it opened, having followed the sushi chef over from Kubos in the Village. Until now I have had nothing but good things to say about KR to fellow sushi lovers. But last week my wife and I had an experience at KR that permanently changed our view of the place. Our appetizer, a double order of foie gras on amberjack, was impeccable as usual. For our entrees, we had three orders of yellowtail sashimi, as well as other varieties of sashimi. And that is where the problems started. When we got our order of yellowtail sashimi we both were both taken aback by the size of the slices of fish. I'm not talking just a bit smaller than normal. I'm talking pieces of fish that were half to two thirds smaller than the pieces of sashimi we are normally served at KR. We knew that this was not typical of the restaurant's normal portions (We have ordered this item many times). I pointed this out to our waiter who agreed, and he quickly removed our plate, promising to replace our yellowtail sashimi with appropriately sized pieces. But instead of that being the end of it, this request turned into a twenty minute battle royale with the sushi chef, who refused to even consider the possibility that he could be wrong about the serving sizes. Both the manager and our waiter were apologetic and offered us other choices, and we have nothing but compliments for their efforts to try to reason with the much put upon sushi chef, but his behavior profoundly changed our view of Kata Robata. Perhaps the sushi chef is just so talented that he can effectively tell a customer to 'get lost'. Maybe so. We won't be coming back to see if this is actually a trend. I don't mind paying up for quality, but if I do, I don't need theatrics when I point out a legitimate problem. There are too many other fine sushi restaurants in this town.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Billiz19

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Great fusion sushi”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Again, somewhere I have been a few times now...consistently good. Great fresh sushi and also some interesting ideas around other dishes. Extensive Saki selection as well, and informed staff who know what they are doing. Nice buzzy atmosphere, decent cocktails as well make for a good night out.

• Visited February 2013
Houston
“Great Japanese cuisine”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have been several times to Kata Robata and never disappointed with the food or the service. Everything is wonderful - and the soup could be an entire meal. Make sure you try the black cod and don't share.

Visited December 2012
San Diego, California
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I made reservations here based on a recommendation from my sister when my boyfriend visited from California. I had never been here, but he wanted Sushi and we wanted to go somewhere that was affordable but in close vicinity to the Toyota Center cause we were going to a Basketball game.

The atmosphere was obviously the first thing we noticed. It was very neatly decorated and we even complimented the waitress on the decor. The waitress was friendly and attentive and the the food was excellent. They have this really great happy hour where drinks and rolls are discounted and extremely well-priced. My boyfriend and I split three rolls (all great), each had two beers and we ordered a "carafe" of Saki and the entire meal was under $50 with tip. I will be back for sure and will be recommending this place to all my friends.

They do close for a few hours during the day, so make sure you check the hours before heading over there during the afternoon.

• Visited November 2012
Houston
“Great Food”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This was a spur of the moment dining choice for us. Tasteful Japanese restaurant with all the best of Japanese food and sushi. Some very interesting dishes are available. We had a sushi plate, a sushi roll, an udon soup, a macaroni & cheese dish and two other main courses - all were very, very delicious. Service was attentive but unobtrusive. There is a good drink menu. I would rate prices as moderate to high but really worth the cost. We will definitely return.

Visited December 2012