“Excellent Embassy Suites” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Brooklyn, New York
“Excellent Embassy Suites”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay here for three nights recently and I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who has occasion to stay in Downtown Houston.

Staff: Everyone I met was very friendly. Front desk staff was courteous and efficient. Check in and checkout were both a breeze. Staff in the restaurant was also very warm and open.

Facilities: Everything was clean and attractive. Common areas were modern and tidy. I didn’t make it to the gym so I can’t rate that. My room was spotless except for a stain on the carpet (not made by me). Beds were super comfortable. The room had a microwave, coffee maker and refrigerator, which was much appreciated.

Highlights: Location is perfect if you’re doing something at convention center…or Toyota Center…or Minute Maid field. It’s really centrally located if you need to be in the heart of downtown. Also, I loved the voice in the elevator. A woman’s voice, vaguely British accent (actually sounded like a friend of mine from South Africa), very cool. I loved it when I got in to go to the lobby and the voice would say “Going down.”

Areas for improvement: To be honest, I can’t think of anything.

Overall impression: Loved it. If I come back to Houston, this will be where I stay.

Nearby transportation: Light rail is several blocks away. Houston is not a very mass transit friendly city unless you are into riding buses.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking Discovery Green
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have been a little tough on some Embassy Suites review in the last year, but this hotel restored my opinion. It is a very new property with up to date decor and excellent amenities. Nice workout facility, excellent complimentary breakfast and a very helpful bell staff. It also has an excellent location near the basketball & baseball stadiums as well as the convention center.

I also liked the fact that it is a LEED Silver certified building.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Baytown, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed here one night for the Houston Chevron Marathon. The location is great for this event. I was very close to the Expo and the starting line. It was very handy on race day since it was cold, windy, and raining! I left the room around 6:30 to make sure I was in my corral by 6:50. I got there with plenty of time to spare. Our room had a microwave, fridge, and a wet bar. The hotel also provides breakfast, but not until 6:30 which is not available early enough when you are running a marathon.
The room itself was super nice, new and clean. The staff were very hospitable and congratulatory after the race. They didn't sweat the fact that we needed a late check-out either.
The hotel itself does not have a self-parking garage, so you either pay for valet parking at $28.00 a day, or you can park in a public lot right accross the street from the hotel. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eram11
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed here during the Houston Marathon, when everything is crazy and books up. Another hotel had lost my reservation, so I had to find another and stayed here. It was so much better than I expected. It's right on Discovery Green, which is a fun location. The free happy hour is in an open area with TV screens for watching games. The free breakfast is great and a money saver, and I loved the style of the rooms- Asian inspired. During a busy weekend, the staff was organized and got my car out in 5 minutes like they'd said. A nice stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Emily B
Seabrook, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for New years eve. What a great hotel. The staff were friendly and went out of their way to assist us. The rooms were big and had everything we needed. Some friends of mine stayed at Hilton Americas close by but I think they got robbed because our stay was great and much more economical.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

On Christmas Morning around 1:15am, my Husband and I entered the hotel. We were very shcoked that the front desk agent Shawun didn't acknowledge or greet us. We proceeded to our room to find out that our room key didnt work. When we went to Shawun to let her know of the situation, She began to interupt us stating "Hold On, Let me what I'm doing First" as if we were bothering her. Shawun then began to rudly talk down to us createing a very difficult and uncomfortable scene. She signaled the security guard Tony to come over and help her as if we were the ones causing an issue. I was deeply disturbed about this situation and was unable to enjoy a nights rest due to the way we were treated.
The next morning I reported the situation to the Front Desk Manager Felicia. I can truly say, Felecia made me feel as if I mattered to her not just as a guest but as a person. Felecia went out of her way to help my husband and I forget about that horrible first night. Thank you so very much Felecia, you have saved a loyal customer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cameron, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

All good except hard to get out and visit Houston. Service staff very helpful when you need directions to get in and out of hotel. Breakfast was very good selections. Happy hour , you cant drink them dry, I tried. Nice rooms, bed, bath, living area very accomidating.

Room Tip: Be sure you get a discount when signing up.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo