“Great stay in Houston”

GreenLeadersGold level
Gatineau, Canada
“Great stay in Houston”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

It was our first stay in Houston and loved the Embassy Suites. Rooms are huge and clean. The staff was great. The best was the breakfast and the cook to order omelettes. Excellent value overall.

• Stayed December 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 21, 2011

The breakfast was good, valet was good and check-in/check out was good. Service at restaurant was fine but the food was bland.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Jonathan E
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Looking at the negative ratings, it seems that most of those are either very finicky or don't have any experience staying in downtown/Galleria Houston. Overall, I think this is the best bet downtown. Great location (walk to about anywhere), FAST valet (yes, it's $28, but find me a hotel downtown that is cheaper), and, except for the front desk, excellent staff. Front desk didnt' follow up on a couple of requests, and when I did interact with either of the desk clerks during my 2 day stay, not much personality or smiles; housekeeping, restaurant folks were terrific though. Room in great condition, good size bathroom (although I had a tub/shower; had hoped for a shower only as in some photos); average size for ES hotels. Quiet for a downtown hotel--will be making this my preferred spot downtown in the future.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank KansasCityGuy
Southern Highlands, AUS
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I stayed at this hotel in October/ November for just under two weeks and had a great time. Was attending a conference at the convention centre so it was very close.
The room was massive - I was given the handicap room on the 6th floor so I'm not too sure if all the rooms are this large. This room has a separate lounge area, with it's own tv, desk and a L shape lounge. From this room you went into an area which had a fridge, microwave and sink. This was great to keep some food and heat it up if I wanted to. Opposite this area was the bathroom - one of my major issue areas, Firstly I thought it was really strange after the room was cleaned each day they would leave the toilet seat up - was there a reason for this I just don't understand it, I've stayed in hotels around the world and never had this. The shower and bath are all in one, which I didn't like, I prefer to have a separate shower, the shower also didn't have any great pressure which was dissapointing. The other issue with the bathroom was that the room had a sliding door which didn't close all the way - if I was staying in this room with other people I would be concerned about privacy. From this area you then went into the bedroom. This room was large, the bed was awesome had a great night sleep in this bed, once again this room had another TV and a safe which was large enough to put my laptop in it.
Another issue that I had with this hotel room was the cooling, I would set the system to the lowest it would go, however the room was rather warm despite it being on this setting all day, this needs to be checked out as I know I'm not the only person who has stated this.
Overall the room looks very modern and was comforable - would be great for a long stay or short stay, only had a small amount of noise one evening when there was a group of school age kids staying in the hotel, they were a bit noisy in the early evening but nothing major - could only hear the noise from the lounge area, so I moved into the bedroom and couldn't hear anything.
Breakfast is included in the room rate which is great however when you stay in a hotel as long as I did you see some issues. The first couple of days the breakfast was great - had no problem serving myself quickly and finding somewhere to sit, however as the hotel filled up throughtout my stay I can't say the same thing. I went several times down for breakfast only to see a massive line - this is because the continental area is easy and quick but everyone lines up for the hot food which takes longer and therefore the line doesn't move very quickly and the line forms infront of the continental foods (cereal, breads ect), very frustrating. Also when they are busy it can take a LONG TIME for everything to be refilled. The wait is worth it for the hot food - pancakes, eggs and omellets to cook but it can cause a major wait for everything. It would be great if this hotel provided a bag that you could take your breakfast away with you as sometimes when it is busy you couldn't find somewhere to eat. I passed on the breakfast on a couple of the days because I just couldn't face the wait.
The staff are very helpful and friendly, always greeting you as you come in. Sometimes the house keeping would not clean my room until very late in the afternoon - 3 or 4pm which was a bit annoying, something that needs to be looked at. There is free internet connection which I did enjoy as some of the other hotels in the area you have to pay for this.
Overall I did enjoy my stay, the issues that I stated above are really only minor but do result in me not giving them 5 stars. I will be booking for them next year.

Room Tip: Go across to the Houston Centre for lunch.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Tams_in_Oz
tomball
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We had tickets to a show at the Toyota Center and we wanted to stay somewhere close by. We chose Embassy Suites because of the location(1 block from Toyota...awesome) and the price. We found a special and paid a little over $100. Included in that price was a managers cocktail hour and made to order breakfast. We werent able to attend the cocktail hour but the breakfast was very yummy. The only problem was they were very backed up on the omlet station and your other food got cold while waiting. The staff was over the top nice and made us feel very welcomed. The overall experience was exceptional but Im sad to say we probably wont stay there again. For it being a brand new hotel I thought the bed would be one like all the hotels are upgrading too. This one of the worst nights sleep I have ever had. The bed was soooo uncomfortable. My husband and I both tossed and turned all night. Way too firm. Also, there was so much light coming in from the outside the curtains couldn't block it all out. If you can sleep anywhere then this would be a great hotel. The other problem we had was the fact that we had to pay $27 to park all night at the hotel. We would have done a lot but we dont know downtown too well and I wouldn't feel safe leaving our car out all night. I knew that coming in but I think that is excessive. $15 would have been fair.The best part about this whole trip was the people. They have incredible customer service

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jennifer B
F'burg
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Sevice was excellent! The staff was friendly and helpful. Every need or request was promptly filled. The rooms were beautiful, clean, and well-appointed. The location next to Discovery Green was excellent for families with children and only a few blocks' walk to the light rail. Our only complaint was that the breakfast layout made service slow (e.g. only one toaster, instead of several or a continuous loop toaster.)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank nanacake
Dallas
Reviewed November 7, 2011

This is by far the best Embassy suites I've stayed in. If you're attending an event at the George Brown Convention Centre, it only takes less than 10 minutes walk. The hotel is fairly new, thus very clean and nice. Room is spacious, with pull out sofa bed, especially ideal if you have kids. There is a door to the room, thus privacy. There's a microwave & fridge too.

Breakfast is awesome! Hot breakfast (scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausages & bacon), cooked to order scrambled eggs & the freshly made pancakes are awesome. There's also oatmeal, breads, muffins & other pastries.

There's a Manager's reception from 5.30-7.00pm with wine & some light snacks. Line can be very long if the hotel is busy. There's a pool too.

Rate may be a little high for an embassy suite but very convenient to the George Brown Convention centre.

Valet parking is $28 per nite though.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends