“Wonderful people yucky nights sleep”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Houston Downtown
Ranked #10 of 510 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersGold level
tomball
“Wonderful people yucky nights sleep”
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We had tickets to a show at the Toyota Center and we wanted to stay somewhere close by. We chose Embassy Suites because of the location(1 block from Toyota...awesome) and the price. We found a special and paid a little over $100. Included in that price was a managers cocktail hour and made to order breakfast. We werent able to attend the cocktail hour but the breakfast was very yummy. The only problem was they were very backed up on the omlet station and your other food got cold while waiting. The staff was over the top nice and made us feel very welcomed. The overall experience was exceptional but Im sad to say we probably wont stay there again. For it being a brand new hotel I thought the bed would be one like all the hotels are upgrading too. This one of the worst nights sleep I have ever had. The bed was soooo uncomfortable. My husband and I both tossed and turned all night. Way too firm. Also, there was so much light coming in from the outside the curtains couldn't block it all out. If you can sleep anywhere then this would be a great hotel. The other problem we had was the fact that we had to pay $27 to park all night at the hotel. We would have done a lot but we dont know downtown too well and I wouldn't feel safe leaving our car out all night. I knew that coming in but I think that is excessive. $15 would have been fair.The best part about this whole trip was the people. They have incredible customer service

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jennifer B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
F'burg
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Sevice was excellent! The staff was friendly and helpful. Every need or request was promptly filled. The rooms were beautiful, clean, and well-appointed. The location next to Discovery Green was excellent for families with children and only a few blocks' walk to the light rail. Our only complaint was that the breakfast layout made service slow (e.g. only one toaster, instead of several or a continuous loop toaster.)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank nanacake
Dallas
Reviewed November 7, 2011

This is by far the best Embassy suites I've stayed in. If you're attending an event at the George Brown Convention Centre, it only takes less than 10 minutes walk. The hotel is fairly new, thus very clean and nice. Room is spacious, with pull out sofa bed, especially ideal if you have kids. There is a door to the room, thus privacy. There's a microwave & fridge too.

Breakfast is awesome! Hot breakfast (scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausages & bacon), cooked to order scrambled eggs & the freshly made pancakes are awesome. There's also oatmeal, breads, muffins & other pastries.

There's a Manager's reception from 5.30-7.00pm with wine & some light snacks. Line can be very long if the hotel is busy. There's a pool too.

Rate may be a little high for an embassy suite but very convenient to the George Brown Convention centre.

Valet parking is $28 per nite though.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I read the reviews of this hotel, and I was very excited about it. After staying there, I HAD to write a review. (This is the first review I have ever written in my life). I had several problems with my stay here.

First, the bathroom door doesn't really "shut." So, if you are staying with someone not your husband or wife or child, it is a weird experience. And, you can see through the bathroom door...also weird. In fact, our bathroom door kept "rolling" open, and we had to put a trash can in front of the end to get it to stay shut. I could not believe it. I kept thinking to myself: "Did I really pay well over $100 a night to stay in a room where the bathroom door doesn't shut?"

Second, the valet parking was a nightmare. There is just not enough room for the cars to wait. Plus, it is $28...crazy, I know. Third, I waited in line for 15 minutes to get the standard breakfast...just yogurt and coffee. Also crazy. Fourth, I checked in at the standard time, and my snacks under my gold membership were not in my room. I came back that night, and they were there....at 11:00 PM. It is nice to know someone came in my room while I was gone. Again, not what I expected for that price tag. That is just trashy. A $50 room, maybe, but not $150.

I will say I've been to about 20 Hilton hotels over the last 2 years......this was the worst one. Oh, and I called to tell the manager about my problems, and I could never get him/her...huh, nice, right? Glad they treat their gold members so well. Also, a side note, I'm fairly certain I should be not taxed for valet service (or it should be included)...but, whatever. What is another $2 when I have overspent by $100?

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Kansas
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I picked this hotel through Expedia for a last minute booking to attend a Convention. I loved it! I hopped off the plane and checked right in - the concierge was very friendly and answered all my questions about getting a taxi and where to eat. The room was large and lovely and very well thought out down to the location of light switches to the outlets that are easy to find. The room has some very nice architectural detailing, a cool sliding door into the bathroom, comfy lounge seating, even a real plant. My only comment on the room was that if the mirror was lower in the desk portion of the bedroom area - it would make a great vanity area for drying/curling hair. (There is a lighted makeup mirror there, but the light is better in the bathroom.) Super comfy bed - wifi - a mini-refrigerator, bar sink and counter area. The breakfast, which is included, is a walk-through buffet and was quick. (The fried potatoes were so yummy!) The dining room has a lot of seating options, so if you are dining by yourself, you won't feel self-conscious. I enjoyed a quick and lovely walk through the park to the convention center. This hotel made my trip a breeze.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Cajun in Southwest Louisiana
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed here prior to a B.B.King Concert at the House of Blues. The location could not be beat. We valeted our car and walked everywhere we needed to go easily. The rooms were very clean the service was excellent. We received some great tips on what to do that night from the valet as we gave him our keys. Everything I look for in a hotel was there. You won't go wrong.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed October 29, 2011

This hotel is definitely on list of options for staying in Houston. Friendly, good (huge!), well appointed rooms with rates which include breakfast and wifi. Managers reception (free drinks and snacks) every evening is pretty good too. Why not 5 stars? Because the resturant/bar area is pretty soulless and uninspired and the bar staff were rude - I guess serving free drinks every evening wears them out. But all in all I good choice for downtown business or if you are attending the convention centre or events at the Toyota Centre which are both a few minutes walk away.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business