“Good Choice for Downtown Houston”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Houston Downtown
Ranked #8 of 506 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersGold level
UK
“Good Choice for Downtown Houston”
Reviewed October 29, 2011

This hotel is definitely on list of options for staying in Houston. Friendly, good (huge!), well appointed rooms with rates which include breakfast and wifi. Managers reception (free drinks and snacks) every evening is pretty good too. Why not 5 stars? Because the resturant/bar area is pretty soulless and uninspired and the bar staff were rude - I guess serving free drinks every evening wears them out. But all in all I good choice for downtown business or if you are attending the convention centre or events at the Toyota Centre which are both a few minutes walk away.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Toronto
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We stayed in this hotel during a Sweet Adeline convention. First time staying at an Embassy Suites, and I'll be staying again!!.....Breakfast was great....but happy hour!!...fantastic!!....they call it a "managers reception"...but it's happy hour!!...free drinks and munchies!!...pool/hot tub area gorgeous, and the rooms big, spacious, and clean...(funky decor!!) staff were friendly and courteous!! and a FREE SHUTTLE to take us anywhere in the downtown corridor! Great property!! $20 cab ride to the Galleria Mall! and super shuttle service to both airports!

New Jersey
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Thank you to all the staff who were so friendly and welcoming to us. We got to the hotel early and were able to check in early which was a huge plus for us. They gave us great recomdations for places to eat and things to do. They even offered to have their car take us to a dinner spot they recomended.
We loved how clean the rooms were. Everything was so well kept. The breakfast was great ( make sure to tip the omlette station) but I would say the night snacks could have been a bit heathier.
In the end we wished we could come back so we could stay there again.

Room Tip: We got a room facing the park which was great.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
San Rafael, California
Reviewed October 13, 2011

An unusually configured Enbassy - no atrium. Only negative is undersized and understaffed breakfast line.

• Stayed October 2011
McAllen, Texas
Reviewed October 11, 2011

As soon as we walked into the hotel, the staff was very friendly & welcoming! The hotel itself is very modern & had gorgeous furniture! The beds were so comfortable we spent most of our stay in bed! :) Every time we ran into someone from the hotel staff they greeted us with a friendly smile. The breakfast was delicious & the breakfast cooks were extremely friendly & chatty! They made us smile & definitely made our stay much more comfortable. We had a great park view from our room & the hotel definitely met & exceeded our expectations. We will definitely be recommending it to our friends & family!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I checked in at the Embassy Suites downtown Houston yesterday afternoon. I've stayed at a number of ES properties and tend to prefer them, especially if I'm sharing the room with another person. It's always nice to have the extra space, or at least the separation of space. This particular ES property is in a phenomenal location if you want to be downtown. Having said that, it's not the typical ES. It's not set up in the typical atrium fashion, which is either positive or negative depending on how you feel about the atrium set up. Instead, it's set up like every other normal hotel. Oh well.

The room itself is very small for an ES property. I booked here rather than across the street at the Hilton because I wanted the extra space. But, I'd bet that the Hilton rooms are just as big as these, if not bigger. My other room-related qualm is with the bathrooms. We don't have a bathroom door. Instead, we have a sliding divider than partitions the bathroom from the rest of the room. It does not, however, give you very much privacy. Very strange set up, to say the least.

My biggest issue is with their treatment of HHonors gold members. I have been staying almost exclusively at Hilton brand properties for the last few months in an attempt to gain more loyalty points. I have been very impressed by the service of the vast majority. From free upgrades to complimentary breakfasts, I was really starting to believe that it paid to be loyal to a hotel brand. My check-in at this hotel has proved otherwise, unfortunately. My Gold member profile shows a request for a high floor room. I booked this room three months ago. On a 19 floor hotel, where did they put me? On the 6th floor overlooking the parking lot. Wow! No recognition of my gold status or any special benefits. Just a standard check in and thorough disappointment when I got to the room. Oh well, stuff happens, right?

I would be unlikely to stay at this property again in the future. While the location is excellent, there are other hotels in the same area that might have better service etiquette. The Hilton is located directly across the street. The Four Seasons is right around the corner as well. I'd recommend staying elsewhere, but maybe I just hit this hotel on a bad weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite on a high floor. Don't accept a small room looking over the parking lot...
1 Thank Ryan K
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Excellent Embassy Suites. This one is a little different in that it does not have the typical atrium - love the atriums in the others but not the noise that you find in the other Embassy Suite locations. Outstanding staff who provided personable attention. Each staff member from front desk, to maid, to valet went out of his or her way to provide personalized service. Great rooms - comfortable yet with a modern touch. Free internet access was an added bonus. $28 to valet park but understandable given the downtown location. Breakfast could not be beat and the breakfast guy truly went out of his way to get each guests morning off to a right start with the great food he prepared and his friendly energetic demeanor. This will be my first choice in hotels when in downtown Houston.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo