“Nice little park”

Ranked #19 of 290 things to do in Houston
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This downtown park offers free yoga classes, movie nights and toddler story times. The park has a playground, spray fountain and Mist Tree, great for hot Houston days. Enjoy free WiFi and open air reading rooms, or borrow balls or games.
Houston, Texas
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Nice little park”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

I decided to walk to Discovery Green while staying in Houston. By the time I got there I was very hot and seeking shade. Within a minute of sitting down I was asked for money so I decided to move. They were setting up for a festival so most of the park was out of bounds and the soundchecks were extremely loud in the remaining park.

1 Thank Willow1212

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Pretty park”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Lovely park, nice grounds, links the surrounding area. Can be dominated by conferences, star bucks had closed off half the park during our visit. No security worries, well used area in the day.

1 Thank sagreatdan
Galveston, Texas
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“I thought it was bigger”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

I like the fact that we could picnic there (no alcohol) and that there was a lot of shade, however I thought the park itself was bigger and the reading room is so small! I really wouldn't go there if I lived nearby very often other than to perhaps use it for running. Also parking is a nightmare and way expensive. You HAVE to live nearby or be in a hotel nearby. Not a lot of activities during the weekend nor the day that were free and the restaurant wasn't even opened.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank LolitaGirl
Houston, Texas
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“LITTLE "CENTRAL PARK" @ HOUSTON DOWNTOWN”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Discovery Green is our "green park" in the middle of the city. Labor day weekend as every day at summer the kids can enjoy the Gateway Fountain, the Mist Tree, Kinder Lake and the playground. Besides you can play frisbee, bocce or your favorite sport on the different spaces in the park. You can join zumba, tonic o yoga class (see calendar at www.discoverygreen.com).
It's a place to relax, refresh and enjoy outdoors.

Houston, TX :(
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Discovery Small”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Took my two children to this park. The park was nice, however, very SMALL. This is def a childrens park. My concerns are that with so many kids running around, the park is not "fenced off", yet the dog-run was fenced off and VERY shaded. There isn't that much shade around the play-area. and at the time of our trip, there were several "homeless" individuals there.

The snack bar/barrista Keosk, are VERY overpriced. No parking associated with the Park. So if there is a game going on at Reliant or Toyota Center, your gonna pay the $$$ just to go to the park. We happened to be there durrning an Astro's game and we paid $10 just to park accross the street.

Overall, I'd like to go back when it is a little cooler and not have to pay $$$ for parking.

1 Thank VSPFUN