“Food should be hot”

Description: Bosnian restaurant seen on Diners Drive ins and Dives
Dallas, Texas
“Food should be hot”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I actually would rate this closer to 3.5 stars rather than 4, but that option is not available.

Like most everyone else I suspect, I became aware of this place through Diners Drive-ins and Dives, and put it on our to do list when in Houston.

The strip-mall location/modest interior did not bother me at all. The service was fine. The bathrooms definitely were on the grungy side but at least there was soap. I travel to Eastern Europe a lot so I was familiar with the genre.

We started with the meza plate, a combination of peppers, feta cheese, homemade salami and pastrami, cabbage, and red sauce which I can't remember how to spell but it basically is similar to adjika or pureed salsa in the US. It was really good, especially with that wonderful homemade bread. I think this was the highpoint of the meal.

The wife got the Hadjijski Cevap, which basically are the ground meat sausage logs with potatoes and other vegies in a cream sauce. The dish was tasty but was served barely warm. The meat was inconsistent, there were big piece of beef that apparently were left-overs from something (gulash?) and the ground meat sausage logs. Odd.

I opted for the cabbage rolls, which usually are pretty safe. Mine two were served barely warm, actually cold, and I sent them back. They came back hot, but the cabbage was not all the way cooked so it was tough and stringy. The sauce lacked depth and complexity. So, overall, it was a pretty average dish and I would not order cabbage rolls again. The wife's are far superior.

If you have not tried East European or Bosnian food this is a good sampling. They help you out by indicating on the menu "Guy's favorites" (none of which we actually ordered).

Visited June 2013

Plano, Texas
“Great Bosnian food”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I have eaten here several times and have never been disappointed. The food is great, as well as the waitstaff. No matter what you order, It comes out fresh, hot, and delicious. It's a great neighborhood restaurant that is well run, not pretentious, and appreciates you business. My advice is to come hungry. You always get your monies worth.

• Visited May 2013
tomball
“Amazing Bosnian food, but be ready to wait”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant several times and each time the food is impeccable. The gyro is phenomenal and the Turkish sandwich the same. Their pita bread is some of the best I have ever had. The price is so very right as well. A couple of negatives...they are not likely to put much ice in your cold drinks so if that is something that is important make sure to say you want a lot of ice. The only other negative this restaurant has is the service. They are incredibly nice but don't go during peak lunch or dinner hours if you are in a hurry. The service can be very slow. Not sure if this is actually a negative...the wait is due to the food being prepared fresh to order and hot. Slow down take time and enjoy life seems to be their motto. When you see native Turks or Bosnians enjoying boisterous conversations on the patio over Turkish coffees and cigarettes you know you have come to the right place.

• Visited February 2013
Houston, Texas
“Very Good Affordable Food (but bring change!!)”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I have eaten here 3 times. First time was the Pirjan cooked in a clay pot. The second time was Goulash and the third time was the stuffedPljeskavice (big hamburger). All 3 were very good. My favorite was the goulash ( I would give it 5 stars). What I like about this place is that it meets important criteria for me. Good food at low prices. I was amazed at what 8.99 gets you.

Wait staff could be better. My first two visits were slow with drink refills and bill presentation. My last visit disappoined me. My total bill was 11.63. I gave a 20 and received $8 in change. I asked where the other 37 cents where and the waiter said they were out of change so he rounded UP the bill. Now don't get me wrong, I can afford the loss of 37 cents but I was taken aback in that I didn't receive it or an explanation why until I questioned the waiter. I thought this was very unprofessional.

I would still recommend this restaurant for the dishes above if you are in the area.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Mike60984
“In for a surprise!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Last night I took my husband to Cafe Pita on a Houston Entree group on. He was very skeptical of the place given its location and decor but he went along since my treat! Boy was he surprised! We split the delicious spinach salad and each had an entree. He had the Bosnian goulash which he said was the best he'd ever had! I had the vegetarian pizza which was wonderful. We then shared a scrumptious dessert and Bosnian coffee. The place does not serve alcohol but allows you to bring your own wine with no corkage fee. Our total bill was under $40!