“Great Desserts”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Washington Ave./ Memorial Park
Cross street: Paterson
Transit: Houstonwave.com
Description: If you are looking for memorable dining experience at a favored destination for classic American fare Houston visitors frequent time and again, you have found it at Laurenzo's dello Sports all American Grill. Known for our fresh ingredients, tasty meals delivered with impeccable service, and the best Weekend Brunch in town, we truly look forward to serving you!
Reviewed August 27, 2012

The only dislike about this place was the red sweet wine offered by our server turned into 2 glasses of red sweet wine for $32. Went during Houston Restaurant Week..prime rib was delish, but the dessert took it to another level...HOMEMADE dessert--keylime pie, Italian cream cake and chocolate bread pudding. I HATE bread puddings of any kind but I will only eat chocolate bread pudding from this place

Reviewed August 15, 2012

A small family group met at Laurenzo's for Saturday brunch at my recommendation (forget that I had never been there....I just wanted to try it out). Let's start by saying that even the lunch menu, without the brunch items, is extremely diverse. Once I decided to focus on the brunch items over the standard lunch items, it was easier for me to narrow my choices. I chose the Eggs Cape Cod, which is basically an eggs Benedict with jumbo lump crab, spinach, hollandaise, poached egg and toasted English muffin. The meal came wit two crepes and syrup as well as Mascarpone cheese grits. The crepes were just fine, but suffered from my prioritization. The egg dish was superb, with big lumps of crab, fresh spinach and well executed hollandaise. The English muffin was fine as a base, but the meal would be elevated with another choice at the base that retained some crunch that was missing. If you remember one thing from this review, remeber that I said the Mascarpone cheese grits were phenomenal, creamy, cheesy and delicious. If your meal does not include it, order a ramekin on the side. You will not be disappointed. I couldn't tell you what everyone else had because I failed to pay too much attention to their meals (although I will say that all were happy and impressed with their meals). Mine was that good and I envied no one at the table for their selection. For 6 adults with no booze and a spinach dip appetizer, we barely topped $100 without tip. I think the restaurant has both value, quality and a menu to please everyone, which is a tough balance these days. I'll be back for dinner. And I'll ask for more grits.

1  Thank yelocrab
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My husband and I have eaten here quite a lot and really enjoy the prime rib and Caesar salad. We decided to treat our two daughters and two grandsons for a special meal on a Friday evening a couple of weeks ago. We had all enjoyed the usual - prime rib and 5 Caesar salads because the grandsons had shared one. No drinks were ordered, only water. When the waiter brought the bill, I was looking over my husband's shoulder to be sure he tipped an appropriate amount. (The service had been very good.) Both my husband and I were shocked at the total shown on the bill to which we were about to add a 20% tip. I even mentioned it to my daughters and we started mentally adding up all that we had eaten. We only had the merchant and customer copies of the credit card receipt. My husband told the waiter that we did not have the itemized copy and he IMMEDIATELY pulled it from his pocket and said "oh, here it is.". On reviewing the itemized copy we saw an 18% tip had already been added. That made the total on the credit card receipt seem in line. HOWEVER, we are not used to parties of 6 or more automatically having the tip added (I thought it was usually 8) and since we had to ASK for the itemized copy, we just got the impression that the restaurant was hoping for a 38% tip!!

1  Thank Debbie A
Reviewed June 6, 2012

This is a great neighborhood restaurant from the el tiempo family. The prime rib quesadillos are amazing.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

I was looking for a place that served great prime rib with a comfortable atmosphere. I checked the reviews at TripAdvisor and Laurenzo's Restaurant on Washington Avenue was highly recommended. We made the trek and were pleasantly surprised. The staff was friendly and professional while recommending we share an appetizer and their signature roasted beet salad. The prime rib was excellent. My wife likes hers medium rare and I like mine medium well and both were cooked to perfection and delivered to our table a few minutes after we finished our salad. Everything was timed perfectly. The coffee was freshly ground and very favorable. Laurenzo's is now our place for the perfect prime rib, comfortable environment, and we will be sure to ask for a table served by Candice.