“Reservation”

Courtyard Houston Medical Center
Ranked #91 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

Second time staying at this location. Do not rely on your reservation, they will give you whatever room is available except the one you reserved four months ago. I like the hotel, but I think they need to fix how they treat returning customers/rewards members. Said I could move the next day to a new room, but that is not the point. When you check in at 1230 am, you do not want to hear that we do not have your room that you reserved. Just another day in the hotel business.

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed July 6, 2012

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. The room was very clean with a microwave, fridge and coffee maker. Very modern designs and the bathroom was very spacious. The tub had a place to sit down which my son loved. Wifi worked great both night we were there and its about 10 min to the zoo, park and the museum campus. Close to Reliant Stadium and there was a grocery store within walking distance. The Residence Inn is next door.

The issue we had was as Priceline customers, we were forced to pay a 100 buck deposit at checkin. We chose the pay in in cash because they said they would put a hold on our credit card for up to 10 days and since we were in transit to other cities, we didn't want that much of a hold put on our card. The checkin process was rude and I felt that we were being treated differently because we were priceline customers. As a Marriott Rewards member, I find this type of behavior offensive. If they don't want the business then they should get out of priceline's system.

At checkout, we couldn't get our deposit back until someonewent into visually inspect the room to make sure nothing was broken or missing. Again, offensive to the guest and this practice needs to stop. It took about 15 min to get our deposit back because they couldn't find someone to go inspect the room. Mangement didn't even offer any sort of apology. Their explaination was "its our policy and that's how it is"

My other issue was the fridge, It just would not cool no matter what. My son is on a special diet so we always have to travel with food. But this time we need the fridge for medicine as well. Someone looked at the the first day and it worked for about 2 hrs then it wouldn't cool at all. I complained again and was told I was not eligible for compensation. I don't want anything, I just want it fixed I told the woman at the desk. She offered free breakfast coupons, which I accepted, but it still didn't fix the problem. The food had to be thrown out because it spoiled and I had to refill the Rx. She did offer the reimburse the food costs, but I had brought everything at home so I didn't have the receipt.

The breakfast was very good and we were able to get an entree with a meat and a drink with the coupons. The lady at the cafe even gave my son an extra juice and she gave my husband a free coffee as well.

There is a business center as well but the internet seems to work when it feels like it. It logs out after a few min for whatever reason and then you have to log in all over again. I had problems with the printers on several occassions and the front desk staff didn't seem to care. One man did go out of his way to help me print our tickets for NASA and I appreciated that.

I would probably stay here again but as a full paying guest. I didn't appreciate being treated differently as a priceline guest and they need to do a full disclosure to priceline so that priceline can inform their customers of the additional costs.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Beautiful lobby, clean rooms, shuttle to the medical center. This surpassed my expectations for a three-star hotel. Very much enjoyed the stay and will be coming here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel the begining of June for a convention held at Relient Park. The location was very easy to get to, had access to several resturants, and close to the highways for city travel. The hotel staff was very friendly. Our room was wonderful and very clean! I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone looking in the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times, most recently in late May 2012. I enjoy the hotel and it offers great value for price. The rooms and clean and spacious. Those that are facing northward have a beautiful view of the Medical center. The pool, though not real large, is very enjoyable. There is a Target with grocery store just a few blocks south of the hotel that I tend to use to get alcohol and food items to eat in the room (fresh fruit for breakfast there is quite nice). The restaurant in the hotel is so so, and I don't use it a lot. The staff are friendly. The hotel is convenient to many Houston venues, and of course especially to the medical center and Rice University.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2012

ok, so its clean, but noisy! I keep reviewing hotels and seem to always have the same issue -- when will hoteliers figure out that slamming doors and hearing your neighbors conversations is not conducive to a pleasant stay. these doors were heavy and the whole wall shakes when people even 3 doors down close them...........luckily a quiet neighbor -- had a corner r oom...........room was clean, and pleasant other than noise. good cafe, friendly staff -- good location and far far far better then the ghetto Holiday Inn and the Crowne plaze in the nabe where I Have stayed before...........to all hoteliers out there -- i would pay extra for silence! (and i know i am not alone in that sentiment )

Room Tip: corner! quiet as possible.....good luck if yoy get a family next door
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 20, 2012

This relatively new Marriott property was a pleasant surprise. (Management issues from last year appear to have been resolved.) Check-in desk was efficient and friendly. The light and airy rooms were well-cleaned. As an added plus,the north side rooms have beautiful views of the illuminated nighttime Medical Center skyline. Although breakfast is NOT free as it is in the two nearby Marriott properties-- Springhill Suites or Residence Inn--they do serve breakfast (for an additional charge) until 10 AM. (Breakfast hours were not clearly posted.)
The only disadvantage was that the advertised free Starbucks coffee in the lobby was not
replenished. There was neither hot water NOR caffeinated coffee with at 7.45 AM nor
10 AM on separate weekend mornings nor at 9.30 AM on a weekday morning. It
remains a mystery as to exactly when coffee *was* available. Outside of that issue,
which I hope they will resolve, it is one of the nicest properties in the Medical
Center area.

Room Tip: If you like illuminated high rise nightime skylines, the higher level rooms on the north side of the...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family