“Clean and convenient hotel!”

Courtyard Houston Medical Center
Ranked #160 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed February 25, 2012

The hotel is only two years old and is very nice and modern. The lobby has plenty of places to sit and relax and the bistro restaurant/bar is right off of the lobby and you also have the choice of sitting at a table. I thought the room was great and in the bathroom you can tell the hotel is newer because the fixtures are shiny and clean. The carpet looked a little dirty but carpet is high traffic so I guess there is nothing that can be done about that. There is a mini-fridge, a cabinet closet, and a pull out desk for working. The bed was very comfortable and the tv was a flat panel new tv. The only issue I really had is that the walls are VERY thin and you can hear a person in the next room like they are sitting right in front of you. To try to minimize this I kept the a/c running to filter the noise and it helped. Even with the noise issue I would definitely stay here again.

Good things to know –
- A convenient shuttle goes to the medical center every 30 mins or so and they drivers really know the area if you are not familiar
- Free internet and parking
- There is no room service, only the restaurant in the lobby
- The business center is not a real business center in that you will not be able to ship something if you need to
- The hotel is about 40 minutes from the airport with traffic

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank travelabbi

Reviewed February 21, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed overnight as we were visiting the medical center. I chose this hotel because of its proximity to the medical center and the fact that they have a shuttle service. We did have trouble with the shuttle when we called for pick up and they failed to tell us the van was not going to be marked with the hotel's name. We stood for 45 minutes and after our third call to the hotel were given the correct information, the shuttle unfortunately is not solely for the Courtyard and we drove around several other hotels before getting to our own. We decided to take a taxi the next day back as the shuttle was inconvenient. The check in process was easy, we had a king room on the second floor. The decor was nice, the bathroom was clean and up to date but the only mirror is located in the bathroom and getting ready in the morning was cramped. The bed was comfortable, free wifi in the room is great.
They do offer breakfast/lunch and dinner with several options, we did stay for breakfast and it was well done. There were mainly business travelers in the lobby area and having meetings in the breakfast area as well. If you are staying for a length of time you might prefer a different type of hotel but for one night this was fine. Of note, the Residence Inn is directly across the parking lot and shares the same shuttle.

Room Tip: The rooms were large, included a pull out sofa. AC/Heater had the usual noise.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TexasKatdaddy
Reviewed February 20, 2012

My husband and i stayed here so we could be close to Texas Orthopedic Hospital This hotel is extremely convenient to the Reliant Stadium complex and the Texas Medical Center. It was very roomy and clean. I know it may seem trivial but the ice machine was the cleanest I've ever seen! The decor is very modern. Only problem is there was only one mirror. Usually, if two+ people share a room, a mirror outside the bathroom is needed so one person can "get ready" while the other uses the shower. This problem slowed my husband and I a great deal. Otherwise it was very nice and worth the price to be close to the hospital.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed February 9, 2012

The hotel was nice but the service was not. I purchased a tuna sandwich and chips at the store in the lobby. When I got back to the room, the tuna was frozen solid. When I went back to return the sandwich, the woman at the front desk was talking to another employee. She stopped long enough for me to tell her that I wanted to get my money back from the sandwich. She said that she would take it off of my bill. I also told her that I wanted a wake up call because I had an important meeting in the morning. I normally use the alarm on my cellphone, but I forgot my charger. She wrote the request down on the back of a tablet. Unfortunately, I did not get the wake up call the next morning. Fortunately, I live in the eastern time zone and woke up early. When I checked out that morning, I told another lady at the front desk that I did not get my wake up call, it didnt seem to be that big of a deal for her. I didnt expect her to do anything, but I expected a little more than "Sorry. I'll look into it." At another hotel that I stayed at, I got a free night stay because they guarenteed a that wake up calls. Anyway, She printed my bill and I noticed that it still had the charge for the tuna sandwich. She seem irritated when I asked her to remove it, even though I explained the situation nicely. Finally, the breakfast was nice, however there was only one person working the counter. She had to take the orders, prepare the food, and run the register. It took a very long time, which was not her fault. If I were in a rush, I would not have waited. Again, the hotel was nice and appeared to be clean, but I was not happy with the service. Would probably not stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 10, 2012

This hotel was clean and in a great location. Pretty standard Courtyard Marriott, but it seems to be fully living up to the expectation. The room was spacious and the decor was nice. The front desk staff was friendly and their is complementary internet in the rooms and free parking. I did find that the water from the sink and tub were yellow when you initially turned it on (maybe that's a Houston issue, I don't know). Overall, it was a pretty good place to stay and I would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Wreck3
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I had the opportunity to take another business trip to Houston, Texas. If you read my previous review for the Courtyard Marriott at Brookhollow, located a few miles outside Houston, from a few weeks ago you will have found that I gave the hotel a fair review. However, I decided not to stay at the same hotel again because the ending of my stay wasn't so great plus the location is fairly far outside the area of Houston that I was working in. So this time around I decided to stay in a totally opposite area of Houston on the other side of the city near the Houston Medical Campus. This is brand new hotel and has only been open for just about a year, so its perfect timing for a fresh review on it. My thinking about booking this hotel was that it had to be better then the Brookhollow experience from a few weeks ago.

Location: 7 of 10

The Courtyard Marriott is located just a few miles (2.3 miles) from the massive Texas Medical Campus in Houston. The hotel is located right off Main Street and is a straight shot right into the downtown of Houston. The location of this hotel is much better then the Brookhollow hotel by a long shot and has a lot more restaurants, shopping and general stores around the location. Right across from the Courtyard is a Marriott Residence Inn, and from the looks of it, the way the Courtyard is wedged into the property would make one assume that this location was probably the former parking lot for the Residence Inn. The Courtyard has an underground parking garage and extra parking in the back and I saw quite a few people walking from the parking garage to the Residence Inn. Overall, the location is adequate and easy to get to downtown Houston along with Texas Children's Hospital and surrounding medical facilities. However, one word of caution, I do not recommend trying to make a left hand turn out of the parking lot in the morning hours, its nearly impossible. Make a right turn and proceed down Kirby Avenue and go around the circle to get to the stop light on the other side if you have to go down main street. I knocked a full point off the rating because entering/exiting the hotel facilities for BOTH the Residence Inn and the Courtyard is brutal and horribly designed. In the architects/engineers favor, it doesn't seem they had many options to design it any differently.

Service: 4 of 10

Most Marriott Hotels have fairly good service, even the previous stay at Brookhollow had a good service front desk. However, I am not sure what is going on with this Marriott. The front desk staff were a bunch of impolite, moody, unfriendly (insert any other remark!) people that I have dealt with at a Marriott in recent memory. I understand that you may not like your job, but please don't take it out on the guests at the hotel, its unacceptable and extremely unprofessional.

The check-in process was acceptable, although as I mentioned above the the lady checking me in didn't even say good afternoon. When I asked if if I was going to be near the elevators or ice machine I got an attitude back and a response of "Well I put you a door or two down I think, I don't remember, if you are unhappy just call the front desk" and she proceeded to walk away like my question was unacceptable to her.

The check-out process was even worse. First, every hotel should know by know that business people usually check out of their room early, and usually all at the same time. If you only have a single person working the front desk, PLEASE tell them to BE AT THE FRONT DESK! Its very frustrating to have to wait in line for a simple check out and even worse, have to walk around the corner of the front desk and walk into the back room and interrupt a casual conversation between two employees (that had NOTHING to do with work) and ask if you can be checked out!! Unacceptable! This Marriott failed on the "checkout scale" for me for this stay.

Facilities: 7 of 10 for quality - 2 of 10 for Noise Suppression!

This Courtyard had all of the typical Marriott specials and guest services including a gym, computer/office area, available printers, internet cafe (free) and cafe/breakfast bar/dinner bar. The lobby area was very spacious and open along with being inviting. There was a very large meeting area setup and casual area for sitting around and meeting with friends and family and holding small meetings. The hotel itself is designed with the new Marriott style "hip" or "contemporary" themed areas, I am not a huge fan of it but it is inviting and open.

The BIG issue I have with this hotel is the lack of noise suppression in-between the rooms. I have NEVER been in a hotel where you can hear the person in the room next door crystal clear. At first I thought it was because of the pass through connecting doors between the rooms letting sound escape, but I was wrong. I could hear everything the person was saying in the room on my other side too, including his credit card number when he was on the phone ordering/confirming something. Not cool at all!! I don't know if they simply skipped on the sound suppression material between rooms or they used something cheap, but I was absolutely shocked how much I could hear.

Final Rating: 6 of 10

Ok, final rating time, if you can deal with the noise between rooms then this hotel is nice and very acceptable. The rooms are beautiful inside with very comfortable beds and clean new bathrooms with a lot of room and functional layout. I have included some pictures of the room below and as you can see everything is new and designed well. However, I always am able to find something, in my room the carpeting was starting buckle and roll in locations. Basically it happens when the carpet wasn't pulled tight enough during installation, also using a cheap carpet can cause this. Eventually this will become a safety hazard to the elderly and even younger children as the carpet becomes even more uneven and can cause a trip or fall.

Overall, I would stay here again. However I would ask for an end room or a room with no one next to me. Obviously I am sure I will get some "attitude" when asking for this, but the noise was just unacceptable for me, especially considering you can hear every single conversation that occurs between rooms and in the hallway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the corner and away from ice machines
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Bella213
Reviewed December 11, 2011

We had to be in Houston, a really short 2-day trip and chose to book this hotel for our stay. One thing I will definitely say is the employees here need to know how to smile. I had asked for a room on the high floor, but the person who checked us in said that there were no high floor rooms available, which could be true, but I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a single room available on any of the higher floors. We were assigned a room on the 2nd (high) floor. Having said this, I'll say that the room we were assigned was quite large and there was enough space to put our stuff and move about without bumping into our belongings. The decor is nice and the recessed lighting in the room is a nice touch.

The bath was large and the water pressure was good as well. What I absolutely loathe about this hotel is the charge for the drinks/beer. At $5.00 per bottle of beer, you could just walk over next door to Kroger and buy a 6-pack for half the price. And don't even think about buying water. At almost $2.50 per bottle you could get a pack of 6 for the same price at Kroger's.

And I didn't even bother checking out the menu at their Bistro. For the kind of unfriendly service that they offered, I didn't want to spend any more $$$ here than I really had to. There are several choices around this area within a short drive, where you can get good, I mean really good breakfast than what these guys can cook up for a fraction of the cost as well.

All in all, I'd say the experience was just average when it came to service. Would I stay here again, perhaps not.

Room Tip: If you can manage to get a room with a balcony on the high floor, you should go for it.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family