“Nicest Courtyard I've Stayed In”

Courtyard Houston Medical Center
Ranked #165 of 510 Hotels in Houston
Austin
“Nicest Courtyard I've Stayed In”
Reviewed June 10, 2011

After reading the reviews, I was bracing myself for an ungodly experience. Needless to say, it was the exact opposite. The location was perfect for me because i was attending an event at the reliant stadium area.

The check in was nice and the staff was very friendly. The rooms were amazingly nice with new decor and expanded size in comparison to typical courtyards I've stayed at.

The free indoor parking below the hotel was nice it rained that day.

I visited the weight room which had basic equipment and free weights.

I purchased the room at a reduced rate on priceline and I will be back there again on my return to Houston.

• Stayed May 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed April 12, 2011

I booked a suite a year in advance for the NCAA championship game. When my spouse and I arrived, we were told that the suite was not available and that we would be given two rooms instead. Why would our room not be available when booked a year in advance. The manager wrote a cheesy apology and sent some token fruit. Do not expect anything great from this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maverick4life2
Courtyard M, Manager at Courtyard Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
I am reaching out to you in reference to your tripadvisor posting back in April of 2011 and on behalf of the Marriott family. I’d like to resolve this matter in your favor.

My name is Joseph Sherfield and I am the Assistant General Manager of the Courtyard by Marriott Houston Medical Center located in Houston, TX. I am confident that given a chance to speak with you in person or over the phone you will see that I can turn this negative experience around, I kindly request you to give me this opportunity to see what I may be able to do for you and in turn help me and my associates earn a positive reputation for this property and motivate us to do a better job and enjoy coming to work on a daily basis.

Looking forward to hear from you at your convenience, please feel free to call me directly at 832-214-6200 or 713-668-4500 ex 4908
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Good Location, clean rooms. Nice staff but the level of service is very poor, If the resturant is open DONT eat here, the food is expensive and basically microwaved rubbish. That said it is clean and is ok for a one or two night stay maximum. It would be much improoved if it had a proper resturant one site or next door.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Reno
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Upon arrival the front desk person never said "welcome" or thank you or anything nice. I guess she didn't say anything not nice eihter. The rooms were nice enough but there was no hot water. I was looking forward to a bath all day. When I called front desk they were unhelpful and had no suggestions as to why no water or if they could help. Then I found out the Jacuzzi wasn't working either. There was no hot water the next day either. When I mentioned it upon departure, no appologies or credit for the stay or anything.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
I am reaching out to you in reference to your tripadvisor posting back in March of 2011 and on behalf of the Marriott family. I’d like to resolve this matter in your favor.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I have to agree with a previous poster that this property is an unprofessionally run shambles. Granted, we paid a paltry sum on Priceline for the room but...you cannot lie and expect a business to stay afloat. I had stayed at this property before and enjoyed the newness of the furnishings. Our second stay, at the same property, was a TOTAL disaster !!!
I was to be operated on the following day at M.D. Anderson and tried to retire early. The weather was miserable and the weather forecast called for the lower 20's. We went to bed about 9 p.m. and the heater (wall unit) stopped working. I called the front desk and a very surly, refusing to communicate clerk asked, "Just why are you waiting until 9 p.m. to tell me the heat is out?" To which I replied, "It just went out." She finally relented and gave us another room. The heater in that room didn't work at all !#$% Finally, she gave us a third room that we could hear the fan motor clattering against the heater housing from the hall way (without even opening the door !). There was cold air coming out of the unit. I went to our former room and called Marriott Customer Care. I don't know just what the inhospitable desk clerk told Customer Care but a surly Customer care rep called me and said, "You'll be escorted off the property by security if you're ugly to anybody." I'd pay major dollars to have the tape of what the clerk told Customer Care.(or what stories she made up to cover her tracks)
Here's a 63 year old man wanting to get some sleep in order to be at M.D. Anderson for 5 a.m.check in for a major operation. Finally, the desk clerk shows up with the security guard at the second room. The temp had fallen to the 60's in the room and she played with all the controls. "Look~ it went up a degree" she said. To which I retorted,"That's because you have the door open and the hall air is warm and the thermostat is close to the door. The heater motor isn't blowing and there is no heat coming out of the unit". The security guard felt the heater and agreed that it wasn't putting out any heat. The desk clerk mumbled something about that I wanted my money back to which I vehemently told her she was making up stories. All I wanted was a room that had heat. She finally relented and gave us a room that had heat~ we moved three times and got to bed at 11 p.m~ I was told by Customer Care that the manager refused to come to the property. Somebody need to seriously evaluate the staff at this property. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, EXPOSE YOURSELF TO UNPROFESSIONALISM AND STORY FABRICATIONS THAT TAKE PLACE AT THIS PROPERTY. I would be wholeheartedly ashamed of myself if I was in any sort of managerial position and refused to address a guest's needs. I doubt if I was able to get two hours of sleep the remainder of the night while the manager stayed at home; I'm sure he had heat...

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Jaybeau1
I am reaching out to you in reference to your tripadvisor posting back in February of 2011 and on behalf of the Marriott family. I’d like to resolve this matter in your favor.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 11, 2011

If any of you is looking for a case study in how NOT to treat customers, make a reservation at this hotel. The management team is clueless and harbors inept employees who make up their own rules, in defiance of corporate policies, on a whim. In trying to pay for a hotel room for a family member undergoing cancer treatment at M.D. Anderson, I was unfortunate enough to have to deal, for the first time, with a franchised Marriott. I was emailed a form to allow my credit card to be charged, but that wasn't the right form. Then I was told that the General Manager COULD access my credit card information since I am a Platinum Member with Marriott, but he decided that instead he wanted a copy of my credit card (making up the rules as he goes along in defiance of corporate Marriott rules). Claiming not to have received the correct forms at the appropriate time, the front desk staff decided to place the charges on a familiy member's credit card, which happened to be a debit card, draining her account leaving her with no money for gas to get home. For a great hotel experience, try the Spring Hill Suites right down the road--they deliver excellent customer service and know what the phrase, "The customer is always right" is all about.

Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Longview, Texas
Reviewed January 21, 2011

Traveled with my mother for her treatment at MD Anderson. I had stayed up working all day the day before and stayed up all day with her at the hospital. By noon that next day, I was ready to sleep. They allowed us to check in early, I thought that was nice, they had rooms available. After checking in and starting to sleep, the housekeeping staff tried to enter our room four times!

It was a priceline room, I get it, they always put us at the end of the hallways, I don't know why they don't like to rent the rooms? Since using price line, we have been placed in rooms 90% of the time that were not the same as the other rooms, whether smaller or built with strange building supports in the room, I am not concerned too bad, we have saved a bundle. This however, was a little annoying. I am a light sleeper and was not too pleased when I was awakened every two or three hours. Thank goodness I had the night lock bar over the door so no one could enter. I confronted one of the housekeepers in the hallway after she tried to enter the room, she asked me if everything was all right.

I don't know what the deal was, after telling my wife, she thought that we might have been in a room that they go to take naps or watch TV in or something. I really would have fussed, but I just wanted to sleep.

I paid $45 through price line, I still think it's a good deal.

• Stayed January 2011