When we checked in, the front desk staff was a overwhelmed by a few guests. The gentlemen that checked us (two women) in, announced our room number out loud. When I noted that to him, he noted that he didn't say it that loud.
The first room we were checked into, we couldn't even enter. The smell was horrible. It was a very moldy smell. However, the manager change our room quite quickly and advised he would check that room himself.
I think this hotel may have been retro-fitted. The rooms are nice, but the bathrooms have drop ceilings and there are no fans. They provide hairdryers, but they are only 1200 watt dryers.
We ate in the hotel restaurant and the tomato and basil soup, while delicious, was first served cold. It was reheated and served with the main course. We also had breakfast in the hotel and the buffet was a terrific deal. For about $15 the buffet had a large number of choices.