“Economical hotel for IAH layover, However, Front Desk Attendent rude”

Baymont Inn & Suites Houston I-45 North
Ranked #381 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed June 19, 2011

My family and I chose this hotel for its price and proximity to IAH aiport since we were flying out early morning the next day. We had booked a few days prior to the stay with a very sweet young lady Named Tamika. However, when our group arrived for our stay, we were greeted by a ruded front desk clerk by the name of Nikki. Nikki was very rude and unprofessional as we asked for information regarding the locations of nearest resturaunts and general questions about wifi in the rooms since our group wanted to check in for our flight online. She is definately in the wrong profession and her poor customer service skills and lack of communication is indicative of such. Again, the positives, Its a 15 minute commute to IAH. Rooms were ok, as long as your expectections are not looking for a 5 star and rather a bed to get some rest. Simple, clean and economical. Front desk person Nikki needs reevaluation. Awful customer service.

Room Tip: Room Near Pool
Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed May 4, 2011

I would not recommend staying at this hotel. Hotel had a number of problems including uncomfortable beds, small bathroom and showers. Our room also had a number of living and dead bugs in the bathroom of our room. We also saw a few rat traps in the parking lot which was unsettling. The room also had stains on the carpet. Neighborhood surrounding the hotel is not good

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 2, 2011

Stayed overnight. Placed seemed decent. It was clean and in an okay neighborhood. We were right by the pool. Nothing luxurious but not a motel. Bed was comfortable. Bathrooms were clean although floors were waxy feeling. Towels were clean. Shower was ok. No problems and not dirty but not 5 star (its not a 5 star hotel anyways so it shouldn't be a 5 star shower). No bugs seen and i always check the beds for bed bugs everywhere i go. Overall I had no problems with my stay even though it wasnt exceptional, but I definitely would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2011

My partner, his father, and I spent nearly a week at this place on a househunting trip to Houston. We prepaid through hotels.com. Never again. We had two rooms; Dad's was fine, but not ours. The first one had no Internet connection. It was also very loud because of the pool, the 18-wheelers in the parking lot, and the freeway. We were offered to be moved, so I went to the new room to make sure the Internet worked. It didn't, plus the room reeked of cigar smoke. I reported this to the front desk and the clerk told me the room was non-smoking. This resulted in a short argument, so I said we'd just stay put. The next day, we were offered yet another room. I took my laptop over to test the Internet and it worked slowly but at least it worked. Since we were in town shopping for a house, the Internet connection was really important. They told us this room would be quieter, but it actually wasn't. Some shady characters seemed to be having a late-night party along the breezeways. Each time I called the front desk to ask to speak to the manager, I was told she was not in for the weekend and would be back Monday morning. I called the Baymont toll-free number and reported all the problems. They said a complaint would be filed and I would be called (which has yet to happen, and that was three days ago). On Monday morning after we went out for breakfast, I visited the public restroom off the lobby as we waited for our real estate agent to come pick us up. No sooner had I gotten myself situated, the door handle rattled. I said, "Pardon me." Then the doorknob jiggled again and there was a very loud woman's voice yelling as she banged on the door, "IS SOMEONE IN THERE???!!!" I yelled back, "Well, yes, that's why the door's locked!" "WELL, EXCUSE ME, SIR!" she yelled back and I heard high heels clicking on the stone floor outside. I was so appalled. So when I finished in the rest room, I was determined to speak to the manager. I thought the clerk behind the front desk was the person who had banged on the restroom door. Then I saw a professionally dressed woman in the hallway and I asked if she were the manager. She said she was. I asked to speak with her and she invited me into her office. I proceeded to enumerate all the problems we'd had, and she kept interrupting me. She was not listening at all. So I cut to the chase and asked her to have a word with the front-desk clerk about banging on the restroom door. Then the manager said, "That was me." I said well, next time, you might want to identify yourself or speak in a more polite manner. This woman proceeded to basically rail me out, saying the bathroom door was not supposed to be locked (if you can imagine such a thing), and that I should have known she wanted to get in there by the fact that she jiggled the door handle. At that point, I realized I was speaking with perhaps the most coarse person in the profession of hotel management I'd ever encountered, so I said, "This conversation is over. I'll speak with your corporate headquarters about this." At that, she got up from behind her desk and ceremonially ejected me from her office, slamming the door behind me. All in all, an awful introduction to life in Houston and a place that does not deserve even the lowliest hotel brand on its sign. Nor does the manager Raquel Rooney, one of the rudest people I've ever met, deserve the job she has. The other staff deserve a better boss.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank vanenglish
Raquel R, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Houston I-45 North, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2011

Our staff and I try to maintain a safe and comfortable environment for all our guests. It is also customary that when a guest calls the 800 number a response is mandatory. Unfortunately, I never got to resolve the issues in questions due to guest not meeting with me during his week long stay. I did meet with him upon his departure and the only thing he complained about was the knocking on the rest room door.

Reviewed February 1, 2011

This little motel is quite dated. The lady at the desk who checked me in had a problem finding my reservation, but she was quite helpful and reassuring (as another reservation had been lost earlier in the weekend). The noise from I-45 was very audible and there were tractor trailers parked outside all night making noise. In addition, there were no black out shades, so although the parking lot is well lit, it seemed like practically daylight in our room during the night. The room was mostly clean, but there were hardly any blankets on the bed. Ok for the night, but I would never go back.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2010

Despite having an awkward location, I had no complaints about the I-45 Baymont Inn. Room was ideal for my purposes, in the area for a Rush gig, and with a free breakfast and pool for a budget price, I was quite happy. It's noisy being beside the interstate and underneath the flightpath for IAH but it never interrupted my sleep.
Plenty eating options close-by

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 27, 2010

We were in town with teen-age girls for a softball tournament and did not have a say in the pick of this hotel. It is in a questionable part of town.

When we arrived their were two families traveling together. We asked for rooms next to each other but were told this was not possible. When we escorted our friends to their room, we found a box cutter and broken glass all over one bed. We went back to the office. There was a couple in there without a reservation asking for a room. They were told they had plenty available. Yet they could not give us rooms next to each other?

Due to the clientel, we would not allow our girls to go to each others rooms unless in a group. Appareny they let truckers use the parking lot as there were always several trucks parked with loud engines running the while 3 days we were there.

Breakfast consists of the bare minimum. So if you are looking for staples like cereal or toast, don't look here. Danishes are all you get! And don't expect the free WiFi to work. No connection available.

We are going back to Houston on late July and will avoid this place like the plague!!!