“Horrible Experience”

Ranked #200 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Horrible Experience”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My parents are in their 70's and traveled from Shreveport, Louisiana to visit me after major surgery and to visit my mother's sister who was recently diagnosed with liver cancer a month ago. I watched this hotel being built, so I know that it is very new. I will not speak on the problems that I experienced with the hotel as they were related to the restaurant, and were easily fixed....I just decided never to eat in the restaurant again. However, on this night, May 10, 2013, I checked my parents and my two year old daughter into the hotel for Mother's Day. We were winding down for the night, and I was back in my home near the hotel, on Westheimer Rd. My parents called me around 9pm, and told me that they pulled back the sheets on the beds to go to sleep, and to their surprise, there were bugs, gnats or fleas EVERYWHERE! My father pulled the bed from the wall, and there were more flying bugs...the room was infested! I immediately got up and went to the hotel to help them and by the time I arrived, my parents had killed about 20-30 of the fling insects. The young man at the front desk was helpful and agreed to move them to another room, but after that sight, who would want to stay in that hotel? I finally had to move my parents and baby about 10 miles away to the Marriot Hotel that they normally stay in when they come to Houston. Although the staff was nice, this experience was the worst that I have ever had and I can absolutely say that I will NEVER stay at ANY Holiday Inn Express hotel EVER again. It is now almost midnight and after I arrived back at home and showered, I am STILL itching from the nightmare. Beware travelers.....check your rtooms BEFORE you actually check in.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Marva C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Houston West Energy Corridor, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Marva C,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Houston.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is close to everything. It is off I-10 and close to restaurants and very close to Memorial City Mall and a few minutes from Katy Mills Outlets. The rooms were very quiet and the staff was very helpful. The entrance was a liitle hidden due to it being in back of a shopping center but there was enough parking very close to the entrance. Overall a great experience

Room Tip: The restaurants across the street are awesome,
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great location, we stayed in location on Barker Oaks, but this is the hotel that kept coming up when I picked location, so not sure if they are one in the same. Anyhow, our stay was pleasant, comfortable and we felt secure. Nice quick breakfast available with hot foods and no stress.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Aberdeen, Mississippi
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is a really nice property. It is maintained in as new condition. Friendly staff and comfortable rooms. Close to the Katy freeway, but far enough away for a quite stay. The in house bar and grill has good food that is reasonably priced. I have stayed here several times and will continue to do so.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
McAllen, Texas, United States
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The particular person at the front desk that I dealt with in the evening did not know his job and was unfriendly. I was issued a room already occupied by someone else! The front desk tenant hands me a room card for 323, I unlock the room with a funny feeling as to why all the lights were on and TV blaring. As I push the door all the way open, I see some man sitting on the bed staring at me with a puzzled look on his face. I just back up and let the door close and made my way all the way back down stairs to the front desk. I get a new card and an emotionless, "sorry bout that".

Besides that episode, the morning breakfast buffet was great and staff was super kind.

Room Tip: EVERYONE: use your door latch everytime. Neve know who ,might get issued the wrong room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Imagine my shock when I went into the bathroom at the end of a tiring (and trying) day to have a hot soak for my arthritic joints only to discover NO TUB!! Management said tubs were available in some rooms for the disabled and would not confirm in the future that a room would come with a TUB!! The shower pan wasn't deep enough to trap but an inch or so of water. The shower door itself opens only at one end and forces one to stand in the shower to turn the water on--no reaching in from the side to turn it on to warm up before being splashed with cold water. That shouldn't have concerned me however because there was no "splash"-. Just feeble, straight-pin diameter wisps of trickling water--and not hot enough to help aching shoulders anyway , nor warm enough to drive away the goosebumps that plague a woman trying to shave her legs!! I thought at least that I could have a good night's sleep; after all, H.I. boasts that they have both hard and soft pillows and lable them so. However, " soft" still means thick and tall, but with fewer lumps of torn foam filling. Better labeling would be "lumpy" and "lumpier", but none were appropriate for a woman side sleeper with narrow shoulders. Since this Holiday Inn does not offer complimentary breakfast with their $179 rate, I am having a lovely quiche down the street where the atmosphere lends itself to grousing on Trip Advisir about my less than satisfactory stay! I will not stay st the Rldridge Parkway H.I. again.

• Stayed February 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Houston West Energy Corridor, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Birdinhandtwo,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered with the bathroom and the pillows. All of our reviews are evaluated by management, and your review is no exception. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed February 11, 2013

If you are seeking a good hotel centrally located this is a good option. I am historically a Marriott and Hilton/HGI loyal customer but didn't find those options here. I was directed to this location and was pleasantly surprised. The look and decor are better than I expected. The staff is friendly and helpful and it's a very clean location.

Here's a couple of tips and insights when choosing this location:

1. If you're noise sensitive, ask for a secluded room. While generally my 3 day stay has been very quiet, the walls are thin. You can hear everything.

2. It's very central to many great restaurants, walking, etc. Sushi next door was very good and open late.

3. Very small fitness room. Nice Business Center is available.

4. I've read much about the rooms. I will confirm they are generally small, like a Courtyard and have some quirky features like the bathroom door won't stay open, furniture is large although doesn't really block entryways. The water pressure is bizarre. You can adjust it but it's not good. Positively, it's new, clean, comfortable. The mattress is acceptable but not good/great. refrigerator and microwave in room is nice to have. Parking is super easy and well lit.

5. Restaurant - I have only enjoyed breakfast and would add it was good. (Bowl of fruit) Extremely fresh, cheap for a hotel and quick. Coffee left something to be desired, but I'm an admitted snob.

Room Tip: If you're noise sensitive request a secluded room. It's not generally loud, but noise trave...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business