“Minuscule water pressure, lumpy pillows, no TUB!!!!”

Holiday Inn Houston West Energy Corridor
Ranked #193 of 508 Hotels in Houston
“Minuscule water pressure, lumpy pillows, no TUB!!!!”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Imagine my shock when I went into the bathroom at the end of a tiring (and trying) day to have a hot soak for my arthritic joints only to discover NO TUB!! Management said tubs were available in some rooms for the disabled and would not confirm in the future that a room would come with a TUB!! The shower pan wasn't deep enough to trap but an inch or so of water. The shower door itself opens only at one end and forces one to stand in the shower to turn the water on--no reaching in from the side to turn it on to warm up before being splashed with cold water. That shouldn't have concerned me however because there was no "splash"-. Just feeble, straight-pin diameter wisps of trickling water--and not hot enough to help aching shoulders anyway , nor warm enough to drive away the goosebumps that plague a woman trying to shave her legs!! I thought at least that I could have a good night's sleep; after all, H.I. boasts that they have both hard and soft pillows and lable them so. However, " soft" still means thick and tall, but with fewer lumps of torn foam filling. Better labeling would be "lumpy" and "lumpier", but none were appropriate for a woman side sleeper with narrow shoulders. Since this Holiday Inn does not offer complimentary breakfast with their $179 rate, I am having a lovely quiche down the street where the atmosphere lends itself to grousing on Trip Advisir about my less than satisfactory stay! I will not stay st the Rldridge Parkway H.I. again.

• Stayed February 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Houston West Energy Corridor, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Birdinhandtwo,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered with the bathroom and the pillows. All of our reviews are evaluated by management, and your review is no exception. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed February 11, 2013

If you are seeking a good hotel centrally located this is a good option. I am historically a Marriott and Hilton/HGI loyal customer but didn't find those options here. I was directed to this location and was pleasantly surprised. The look and decor are better than I expected. The staff is friendly and helpful and it's a very clean location.

Here's a couple of tips and insights when choosing this location:

1. If you're noise sensitive, ask for a secluded room. While generally my 3 day stay has been very quiet, the walls are thin. You can hear everything.

2. It's very central to many great restaurants, walking, etc. Sushi next door was very good and open late.

3. Very small fitness room. Nice Business Center is available.

4. I've read much about the rooms. I will confirm they are generally small, like a Courtyard and have some quirky features like the bathroom door won't stay open, furniture is large although doesn't really block entryways. The water pressure is bizarre. You can adjust it but it's not good. Positively, it's new, clean, comfortable. The mattress is acceptable but not good/great. refrigerator and microwave in room is nice to have. Parking is super easy and well lit.

5. Restaurant - I have only enjoyed breakfast and would add it was good. (Bowl of fruit) Extremely fresh, cheap for a hotel and quick. Coffee left something to be desired, but I'm an admitted snob.

Room Tip: If you're noise sensitive request a secluded room. It's not generally loud, but noise trave...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ali M
clermont,florida
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have been staying at this property for a couple of years. My most recent visit was 1/24/2013 to 1/27/2013. The King Executive rooms are spacious, well appointed, and very quiet. The staff are friendly and most helpful. The on site restaurant and bar has a decent, reasonably priced menu and fast service. The hotel is fairly new and in a good location. On occasion the staff posts a sign in the lobby welcoming me back. Overall a good value for the money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Two things that are important to me: free internet and free parking. Checked :-)
Next, the bed: It was comfortable. I got a good night sleep. No tossing and turning. I always ask for a room at the end of the hallway or away from other guests. I'm a light sleeper and that's what I do to assure that I get some sleep. The front desk was very accommodating.
Then there's the bathroom. What I'm looking for is cleanliness and the hotel passed with flying colors.
I didn't eat at the hotel restaurant because there were plenty of other places to eat within a short drive. That's another plus in my book.
Overall, I had a pleasant stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed here in the summer of 2012. Overall, it was a positive experience. Because the hotel was constructed in the last couple of years, it was clean and modern. The rooms were quiet and relaxing. The bathrooms despite being small, had a modern vanity that gave it an upscale feel. The only minor complaint I have was the size of the room. For a new hotel, the rooms were incredibly small. They were big enough only for the furniture, and not an inch more. The bathroom was minimally sized (large enough to fit a standard bathtub) and because the bathroom was so small, the beds protruded out into the walkway. As a result, I constantly bumped myself on the edge of the bed closest to the door. In a new hotel, I would have expected the bathroom/closet area be large enough to conceal the edge of the bed. While this was no five-star resort, for what it was, it was perfect.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Houston West Energy Corridor, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear SunDevilfromtheH,

Thank you for the candid review of our property. It is nice that our hotel's modern ambiance suited your liking. However, I regret that the size of the room you were allocated did not meet your expectations. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Pam G
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I am a frequent guest in IHG hotels. While the hotel was clean, well appointed rooms and the staff was courteous, you could hear all conversations between adjoining rooms. We spent two nights here. On the first night, we went to bed at 9:00. Approximately 30 minutes later, we were awakened to the nieghbors on one side returning to their room. Despite the fact that I had my sound machine on LOUD, I could still hear them. At 3:00 AM the guests on the other side arrived from Japan. While the adult showered, the son must have turned on his headphones and proceeded to serenade us in japanese at the top of his lungs.

To the front desks's credit, they offered to move us. However my kids (who can sleep through a hurricane) were asleep and I didn't wish to move them. While the second night was a little better, you could still hear the adjoining guests. This is unacceptable for such a nice, new hotel to have this problem.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Houston West Energy Corridor, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Mark H,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. I understand that having a good night sleep is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. I am sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the noise from our other guests and service received. I have taken note of your valuable comments and rest assured, these will be used to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests. While I understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, I would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Zelyn N
Villahermosa, Mexico
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel for long stays. I think it is a good value option. Very clean and tidy rooms with a modern minimalistic design that have everything. Staff very helpful. The gym and pool are rather tiny though. In general a good option. The restaurant is not so good.

• Stayed August 2012