“One night pre-cruise”

Houston Marriott South at Hobby Airport
Ranked #146 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Stayed here for one night before a Princess cruise out of the new Bayport Cruise Terminal in Houston. Flew into Hobby airport early evening, called the hotel for the free shuttle and it was there with in 10-15 minutes. The driver was very friendly and helpful, including telling us that if we wanted to dine within a 5 mile radius, we could request the shuttle to take us there. We quickly checked in. The room was near the elevators but in a corner. Very clean and comfortable. We were a little worried as when we were checking in you could see young men all over the lobby. We were told they were there for a basketball tournament. Was so afraid it would be terribly noisy over night but it wasn't. There was a huge group and you could see they were having fun but very polite and we had no problem with noise during the night. We checked out the bar/restaurant. It is not very big but the bartendar was very friendly, offered us a menu to look over and then showed us the long list of restaurants nearby that the shuttle will take you to. The menu looked adequate but we decided we wanted fish/sea food and chose one of the restaurants on the list. Called the front desk from our room and they said just to come on down when we were ready to go to dinner. The same driver took us to dinner and stated to just call the hotel a little before we were done with dinner just in case he was picking up or dropping off at the airport or other locations. We did this and had very little wait. We had such a huge dinner that we did not try the breakfast buffet the next morning but it looked and smelled good. I asked at the front desk for a private car or taxi to take us to the cruise terminal and they called both to get prices for us. Once we decided, they made the arrangements for pickup. All the employees we came in contact with were very friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay at this hotel again if I were in Houston. This is not a big fancy Marriott but well worth the price we paid.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 3, 2014

My family of four stayed here for one night before taking a cruise out of Galveston. We didn't get in until late but the shuttle arrived within 15 minutes. The driver was very helpful giving hotel information as he drove. The hotel staff at the front desk were polite and friendly. The room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. My son said it was the best night's sleep he had had in a very long time! The breakfast was good and the check out was fast and simple as well. My younger son left his sneakers in the room which we didn't discover until a week later when we were returning from the cruise. I called the hotel and spoke with Nikki who returned my call within an hour telling me she had located the shoes and took the necessary information to send them to me. They arrived this afternoon! I greatly appreciate her courtesy and professionalism. I would not hesitate to stay here again!

Reviewed December 22, 2013

I travel allot for work, in fact I'm a hilton diamond member but found myself at this marriott by hobbie. The staff was incredible....ALL of them! The location could have used a little sprucing up but overall I will be staying there anytime I go back

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
roger_radtke, General Manager at Houston Marriott South at Hobby Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback following your recent stay at my hotel. I am happy that you were satisfied with the overall service my staff provided you. I will be sure to share your comments with them.
We continue to look for ways to maintain our hotel and am excited that this year we will continue with several projects that will maintain our rooms to the standards you expect in a Marriott.
If I may ever be of service to you, please feel free to contact me at Roger.Radtke@JQH.com.

Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Was doing a conference and this hotel was convenient to all my locations. I found the reception friendly and the resturant good. $10 for parking I thought a little unreasonable but still allowed 5 stars because of the service. The hot tub and pool was good too. Will repeat

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate my hotel following your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you found our staff and services enjoyable during your visit.

I do appreciate you sharing your feelings regarding our parking. We are pleased to be the only hotel in this area with controlled access parking. The result has been a marked reduction in vehicle incidents in our lot and now prevents non-guests from cutting through our lot and creating an unsafe environment.

If I may ever be of service to you in the future, please feel free to contact me directly at Roger.Radtke@JQH.com

Reviewed December 9, 2013

This is a lovely hotel. Very nicely decorated, probably the prettiest in the area. They offer great rates but watch the extra additions. You pay for parking- I understand paying for parking in the middle of a city especially if you have to park in a garage. Near Hobby you are parking in a lot (with a gate), just seems strange. Of course you also have to buy breakfast so really the low rate isn't so low. The room was very nice and clean. There was a cigarette burn in the room darkening shade. Strange in a no smoking room??? Other than that the hotel is very acceptable. The check-in staff was quick and very pleasant.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate our hotel following your recent visit here. I am deeply sorry that you found a burn in the blackout drape. We should be more careful with inspecting our rooms so we can replace that item.

I appreciate your comments on our parking and breakfast charges. Although some hotels do offer a limited breakfast included in your rate, we are very pleased to offer a high quality buffet including a personal Omelet Chef and over 13 delicious made to order items cooked fresh for you off of our menu. Low cost ala carte items are also available on our menu and are also a great value. Perhaps on your next visit to Houston, visit Marriott.com as we frequently offer room packages that do include our breakfast.

Although there is a small charge to access our parking area, our controlled access parking has created a safer environment for our guests and has reduced traffic flow from local vehicles that could create a safety issue for my guests.

If I may ever be of service to you in the future, please feel free to contact me at Roger.Radtke@JQH.com

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Room was decent...clean/no smell. There were different items that were soiled that made me feel a little guarded: the hotel services binder was dirty (I know, who cares...) it looked like there was nail polish or marker on the inside of the door which my husband thought was blood, the "clean" glass in the bathroom had weird spots and fingerprints with makeup. Overall, none of these things were a huge deal...but enough for me to not think it is typical Marriott quality. My main issue is that there was a party in a ballroom directly beneath us which had loud music with bass playing until midnight. I called the general manager around 8:30 to ask how long it would be going on...she politely informed me that the music would be playing until midnight and that she could move me if needed. Since my kid was already asleep, I decided to stay rather than pack up everything and wake him. I do not think the hotel should have booked this room knowing that there would be a party with loud music that would disrupt another guest's stay.
Add the $10 parking fee...not a happy customer.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
roger_radtke, General Manager at Houston Marriott South at Hobby Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your visit here. Our goal is that every guest is satisfied with their stay. In your case I am sorry that the noise level from the social event booked in our hotel kept you from a good rest. When I receive feedback such as yours, I make sure that we do everything we can to prevent it from happening again. In the future, we will be more careful to ensure that the entertainment noise level be more closely monitored so as not to keep our guests from a good nights rest.

If I can be of service to you in the future, pelase feel free to contact me at roger.radtke@JQH.com

Thank you.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

When we checked in we heard a lot of young girls laughing and playing, after check in we went to the elevators and both were being used by some young girls, they were playing in the elevators, all the girls were without adult supervision. They were a cheer leading team. A little bit later went to get ice and say a maintenance guy trying to open an elevator door, 4 girls got the elevator stuck. The sounds of the kids was very loud in the hotel, echoing in the whole interior, the staff at the front desk would should have done something about the noise. The room was ok, nothing special, definitely not up to Marriott standards. You also have to pay $10 a day for parking, really. Not a good part of town!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scott N

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your recent visit. I understand that there was a group of individuals that were not well behaved staying here during your visit. We strongly discourage this type of behavior and am very sorry that you had to encounter it during your stay.

If I may be of service to you in the future, please feel free to contact me at Roger.Radtke@JQH.com