“Not What I Expected”

Ranked #174 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Dallas, Texas
“Not What I Expected”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Having read the reviews I expected a very nice hotel with large rooms and comfortable beds. The room was small and basic. The bed was alright, but the pillows were small rocks. The air conditioner was preset at maximum cold and would not adjust to a warmer setting. I froze!!
To add to the insult was a fee of $12.00 to use the WiFi in the room. I felt tickled and dimed.
The water glasses were etched and looked dirty.
The location is good for the nearby airport, but hard to return to from the road.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

I am very picky about my hotel room but was very pleasantly surprised with the Hobby Marriott. My room was immaculate, the bed was comfortable, bathroom was very clean as well. We ate at the breakfast buffet every morning and thought the food was very good! Plenty of good choices and the servers were very kind. Also ordered room service one day and it was excellent, lots of food for the money. Location is good, plenty of conveniences around.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank candacejo
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Marriott from September 29-October 1. They allowed me to check in early Saturday since they had low occupancy. I just called prior to going to make sure. They do charge 12.95 a day or Internet, etc. However, I asked them I did not want to be charged for incidentals, so they restricted my account, which did not bother me since I can access everything on my cell phone. I did not get any room service or did not eat at the buffet, so I cannot comment on that. Room service serves until 11 pm as per their menu.

On to the room. I got a two double room. It was clean when I arrived. There is no fridge or microwave, but you can request it. I am not sure if that's an extra few. There is a single serving coffee maker in the room with coffee and necessities to make coffee. I did not have any complaints about the cleanliness. It is close to Hobby Airport. Within a five minute or less drive, there is Walmart, various restaurants and gas stations. I didn't mind it being in the area it was in. One thing to mention, the entrance into the hotel is right after discount tire.

Overall, it was a great stay and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank ant_jenna
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I am generally a pretty laid back review writer. I tend to get a little more critical depending on the price of the room. I think that the more that when you pay top dollar for a room, you should have top expectations.

I have stayed at plenty of Marriott properties, and generally, they are pretty average compared to other "luxury" properties. On this particular trip, I stayed a little further south than normal so I booked at the Marriott near the Hobby Airport.

Considering where the property is, my expectations were not that high for this particular stay, however, every aspect of this hotel as far exceeded my expectations.

The front desk staff were very warm and friendly, which I did not expect as there were only two of them and there was a line for check in. What a pleasant suprise.

The room is typical for a Marriott property. Nice beds, comfortable appointments and a spacious restroom. The room was very clean and appeared to be exceptionally well maintained compared to other Marriott properties.

Room service at the hotel is reasonably priced. The menu was simple but offered things for most tastes. I ordered a simple cheeseburger, and paid what I would have paid at a Chili's or similar place. The food was excellent. Why can't Chili's burgers be better than a late night room service burger?

All things considered, this hotel is at the top of my Houston list for now on. It is easily accessible to the freeway, and heck, it is one of the nicest properties I have stayed at in a long time. I am very impressed. My hat comes off to the management and staff here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank peakload
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed September 24, 2012

i was concerned about staying in the area because many of the name brand hotels are under par in this area. Nice on the outside but not so updated on the inside. Based on some of the reviews i was concerned about my reservation. Room was nice, clean and well maintained. Service was ok, people at front desk were so/so. Concierge floor was ok - overall, if you need to be on this side of town, try it, the rates make it worth while

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel multiple times via my company. It falls slightly short of a typical Marriott property. It's dated and you can see this in the layout (open hallways looking down into the center lobby with all rooms around the perimeter) and appearance of the building. When I think of all aspects of the hotel, nothing stands out as being overly positive...everything is just on-par and average. However, there are a few points that let me down.

-Bathrooms are outdated and slightly moldy
-The pool is indoor (however, this is common in Houston)
-One evening, I was followed by a man to my room after having dinner in the Bar & Grill. He continuously asked me if I would like "dessert". This man was another guest, not an employee...so I cannot really fault the hotel for this.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed August 25, 2012

If you need to be near Hobby Airport, this hotel is a good choice. Spacious and clean recently-updated room in a somewhat dated building. It looks as if it was once an Embassy Suites.

Minor complaints: no warm welcome. Two ladies were chatting at the front desk "kiosks" when we arrived, with luggage. I had to ask where reception was located before one said "checking in?" As an ex-hotelier, I thought this was a bit obvious. Also, housekeeping could do a better job cleaning the windows.

Overall, nothing wrong with this Marriott and it's priced well for the market it serves. If you are travelling out of HOU, it's a good choice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
roger_radtke, General Manager at Houston Marriott South at Hobby Airport, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiance with us. We strive to provide a warm welcome and a perfectly cleaned room for each of our guests. In your case it looks like we fell short of that goal and I am very sorry for that. We will use your comments as part of our daily training to help us improve the experiance for all of our future guests. If I may be of service to you in the future, please feel free to contact me directly at 713-943-4001.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you better.

Roger Radtke