“Great Marriott Property, obviously operated with the customer in mind.”

Houston Marriott South at Hobby Airport
Ranked #138 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I am generally a pretty laid back review writer. I tend to get a little more critical depending on the price of the room. I think that the more that when you pay top dollar for a room, you should have top expectations.

I have stayed at plenty of Marriott properties, and generally, they are pretty average compared to other "luxury" properties. On this particular trip, I stayed a little further south than normal so I booked at the Marriott near the Hobby Airport.

Considering where the property is, my expectations were not that high for this particular stay, however, every aspect of this hotel as far exceeded my expectations.

The front desk staff were very warm and friendly, which I did not expect as there were only two of them and there was a line for check in. What a pleasant suprise.

The room is typical for a Marriott property. Nice beds, comfortable appointments and a spacious restroom. The room was very clean and appeared to be exceptionally well maintained compared to other Marriott properties.

Room service at the hotel is reasonably priced. The menu was simple but offered things for most tastes. I ordered a simple cheeseburger, and paid what I would have paid at a Chili's or similar place. The food was excellent. Why can't Chili's burgers be better than a late night room service burger?

All things considered, this hotel is at the top of my Houston list for now on. It is easily accessible to the freeway, and heck, it is one of the nicest properties I have stayed at in a long time. I am very impressed. My hat comes off to the management and staff here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank peakload

Reviewed September 24, 2012

i was concerned about staying in the area because many of the name brand hotels are under par in this area. Nice on the outside but not so updated on the inside. Based on some of the reviews i was concerned about my reservation. Room was nice, clean and well maintained. Service was ok, people at front desk were so/so. Concierge floor was ok - overall, if you need to be on this side of town, try it, the rates make it worth while

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel multiple times via my company. It falls slightly short of a typical Marriott property. It's dated and you can see this in the layout (open hallways looking down into the center lobby with all rooms around the perimeter) and appearance of the building. When I think of all aspects of the hotel, nothing stands out as being overly positive...everything is just on-par and average. However, there are a few points that let me down.

-Bathrooms are outdated and slightly moldy
-The pool is indoor (however, this is common in Houston)
-One evening, I was followed by a man to my room after having dinner in the Bar & Grill. He continuously asked me if I would like "dessert". This man was another guest, not an employee...so I cannot really fault the hotel for this.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2012

If you need to be near Hobby Airport, this hotel is a good choice. Spacious and clean recently-updated room in a somewhat dated building. It looks as if it was once an Embassy Suites.

Minor complaints: no warm welcome. Two ladies were chatting at the front desk "kiosks" when we arrived, with luggage. I had to ask where reception was located before one said "checking in?" As an ex-hotelier, I thought this was a bit obvious. Also, housekeeping could do a better job cleaning the windows.

Overall, nothing wrong with this Marriott and it's priced well for the market it serves. If you are travelling out of HOU, it's a good choice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
roger_radtke, General Manager at Houston Marriott South at Hobby Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiance with us. We strive to provide a warm welcome and a perfectly cleaned room for each of our guests. In your case it looks like we fell short of that goal and I am very sorry for that. We will use your comments as part of our daily training to help us improve the experiance for all of our future guests. If I may be of service to you in the future, please feel free to contact me directly at 713-943-4001.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you better.

Roger Radtke

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Hotel is nice, lobby is beautiful, but location is not the ideal.

I stayed here for just one night, my room was clean, and my bed was ok too.

Indoor hotel was great, the view to the atrium from higher floors was great.

The only downside was the location, not very safe at nite, and i mean the area around 45th and the airport. Other than that it was a nice stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Jorge_Garza_Lomeli
roger_radtke, General Manager at Houston Marriott South at Hobby Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at my hotel. I am glad we were able to provide a clean and comfortable stay for you. We pride ourselves on having a location that is both close to the Hobby Airport and easily accessable from I-45. I am sorry that this area has left a negative impression with you. Thanks again for your feedback and I hope we will have the chance to serve you again in the future.

Roger Radtke

Reviewed July 26, 2012

My family and I had a horrible experience.My religious organization uses this hotel yearly during the month of July16-20th of July.Upon cheking in we were toldwe had to wait to check in at 4:00 am in order not to be charged an extra night.So we had to load our things and leave.We returned the next morning and checked into our room.After being in thwe room for a couple of hours we found out that the ac was not working correctly.I called the front desk and reported this issue.After a couple of hours passed I went down to the front desk and reported it again to the staff.While I was at the front desk the AC techs. walked up and th staff member asked if they checked the ac in our room.The tech at tht time stated that they looked at the ac and did not find a problem.And I told them that it was only cool on one side of the room and the tech stated that maybe I need to move to the side of the room in which it was cool.I then told all parties involved that I payed for complete accommodations and I expected nothing less.At that time I went back t my room to get ready for our night service and there was a flying roach flying around in the curtains in the room.Then and only then were we offered another room.After being hot all day and dealing with flying roaches I was ready to check out and go home.Later that night after we switched rooms myhusband talked to the manager on duty and she offered us 10% off our stay and my husband thought wow 10% after all that .Well the next day we went to pay for the remaining balance and the event rep. was working the front desk and we told her about our experience and she took care of it.When I checked out on Saturday afternoon I called back up to the hotel after being gone for on 45 mins and informed the staff that I left my platinum princess cut diamond wedding set and my sons G-shock watch in the stand next to the bed and I need them to get them out if the room.When the staff called me back they stated
that they had found the watch but not my ring.I am totally devastated.When I asked if I could come an look myself I was told that the room had been already rented.I really started questioning the integrity of the staff because you find the watch which was in the same place as the ring and then when asked if I can come look I am told the room is booked after only 45mins?????This needs to be investigated.Please be careful with your valuables if you stay here.I am devastated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed here because we had a corporate rate and other company employees said it was OK. Checked in late. Good service from the front desk staff. Room was old, tired and noisy with windows facing the freeway. Not really clean but not bad enough to complain about. The best way to describe it is tired. Buffet breakfast was not very good and staff was not helpful, table were dirty. Didn't enjoy it at all. It was way over priced with poor choices. Ate there the first day then went out to better restaurants every other morning. The bar was good, with good dinner choices and excellent service which kind of saved the overall score of this place. Bottom line is if you really need the Marriott points, stay here, if not, there are better choices in the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business