“Well positioned for Hobby A/P but for nothing else.”

Houston Marriott South at Hobby Airport
Ranked #174 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Melbourne
“Well positioned for Hobby A/P but for nothing else.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2011

Stayed 3 nights here for the OTC exhibition. Consequently the cost was very high and was chosen as everything more central in Houston was full. A long way from anything except the Hobby A/P (note, not the International A/P).
The staff were all good but the hotel is very tired and maintainance either has little budget to fix things or nobody cares. Plumbing in particular needs a total revamp. I had 3 tries to get the toilet to flush properly.
I was on the top floor with preferential facilities but even that high there the noise from the freeway was continuous. I did sleep however.
The WiFi internet was charged at $12.5 per day, for the price I had to pay that should have been complimentary. On the other had WiFi was free in the Lobby.
On the good side : The bed was comfortable, breakfast was good and the bar was friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the East side.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Athens, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2011

More and more, Marriott is charging extra for everthing. Internet service is now $12.95 a day, Coffee in the lobby bar is $3.00 with no refill. I build up points and couldn't even use them during St. Patricks Day with my family because they were not offering "rewards stay" in the city where my family picked to vacation. I'm sure that if you're on someelses dime you don't care, but I do.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank taasinc
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

I had an early flight out of Houston and wanted to stay near HOU. The hotel is certainly close. Check in went smoothly and I was assigned a room on the second floor. As I was walking to my room, I noticed a thick build up of dust along the edges of the walls. Upon entering my room, the bed and television looked nice and new, but the rest of the room was shabbly. There was mold in the tile of shower and bathroom floor tile was not clean and had loose hairs. (not mine) I ordered room service for dinner and only one type of soup was available (black bean). Noise was very loud from atrium at night. Drapery had a hole in it. Window wall had peeling paint and black granite nightstands were dusty. I probably will try the Hilton next time.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Wethersfield, CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

The best part of this hotel are the employees who work there. Friendly and responsive, even to a difficult guest like me. I'm not normally difficult at hotels. But the first, second and third rooms that I was offered all had issues with either the HVAC or electrical systems (mainly, an electronic buzz coming from the PA system speaker), or was so close to the fans and HVAC units on the roof of the kitchen that it would have made sleep difficult. The 4th room was fine, and I am grateful for the patience of the gentleman at the front desk for accommodating me. This brings up two issues. One is, I can't help but wonder if when someone books through Travelocity that the hotel gives those guests the less-desireab le rooms. The other issue is in regard to the physical condition of the hotel. The rooms and public areas had newer, clean carpets. The fitness center and pool were fine and the food was very good. But other parts of this hotel need to be updated. The HVAC system and electrical system are outdated and noisy. My guess is the hotel was built in the late 1970's, judging by some of the woodwork and decor. The doors were old, but had new hardware. From a service and food perspective, this hotel is up to Marriott standards, but from a physical plant perspective, there's some work to be done. The hotel is very close to the airport, but you should know that the area is a very busy, mixed-use region, located very close to the Gulf Freeway.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Louisiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

1 The AC didn't work well in our room. The temp stayed in the upper 70's in the room. It took 5 calls to the front desk before someone checked on it. He said that we could change rooms, but they needed plenty of notice so they could find a suitable room. We told them to forget it and we had to use a fan my daughter bought.

2. We requested a crib for the baby, but never got it.

3. Parents were allowing their children to swim nude in the pool. Ew.

4. The bars are closed on the weekend.

I had used my Marriott reward points to pay for the room. Maybe if we had paid "real money", we would have received better service.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

The marriott houston hobby was a decent place to stay. Important to me are clean rooms, and I definitely had one. The sheets, mattress, pillows, furniture, etc were very pristine, as was the bathroom. It seems in this day and age that hotels are filthy and unattended to, so this was a nice surprise for me. Breakfast was very good, but the dinner in the bar was average, the seats weren't the cleanest and my food was average. Overall, I would definitely stay here because of the rooms.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Washington, DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2010

Let's just say that I am shocked that this property is a Marriott. I stay in hotels about 150 nights a year and my wife and I were in Houston for a family event that only required a one night stay and after checking in to this place, I'm glad it was only for one night! I am a Platinum Marriott Rewards member and there was no recognition of my status at checkin and the agent didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked about my Platinum amenity. After about 20 minutes of trying to describe what I was referring to, I finally gave up.

The room was basic, but the padding on the bed was lumpy and the bathroom was poorly caulked and ad lots of mold. Had it not been so late, we would have checked out and gone to another hotel, but we were tired and just wanted to get a good nights sleep and get the heck out. Unfortunately, before we were able to do so, my wife and I had to strip the bed of the sheets and move the lumpy mattress pad around and remake the bed before we could rest comfortably. We still didn't sleep well, and we were up and out by 9AM because we just couldn't take it anymore.

Fortunately, Angelina at the front desk was a blessing in disguise when we told her about our checkin experience and the miserable night, comping breakfast and refunding $100 of the room rate and apologizing profusely for not being recognized as a top level Elite member at checkin. So, although the property needs some work, the Marriott Spirit prevailed in its staff.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple