“Houston's "best kept secret"”
Review of Alley Theatre

Alley Theatre
Ranked #30 of 299 things to do in Houston
More attraction details
Owner description: A local theatre offering plays and musicals.
Houston
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Houston's "best kept secret"”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

The Alley Theatre is as good a theatre as anywhere in the country. We have never seen a production that was not flawlessly done. It is a shame that the Alley is not sold out for every production. Their productions are on par with Broadway and the West End.

Visited May 2014

Lake Jackson, Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Season tickets 27 years and counting!”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

True Houston Gem.Gregory Boyd and the talented craftsmen at the Alley are as good or better than anything we have seen on Broadway in NYC! We look forward during our one hour drive to a fabulous show, season after season, year after year. We feel like the long time cast members; James Black, Jeffery Bean, Todd Waite and other have such breadth of ability, they can do anything! Our Golden Circle seats are our guilty pleasure and we feel blessed to enjoy the award winning performances and can't wait so see what the renovation will bring. I hope people are not shying away from their temp. Houston University dwelling, because to miss these fine acting troupe would be a shame.

174 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Diverse programming ranging from the familiar to the new”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We are fortunate to have a theater company of this quality in Houston. Long-time cast members, including James Black, Jeffery Bean, Elizabeth Bunch, John Tyson, and Todd Waite, are as good as any we've seen in NYC. The sets are always first class, the direction is solid, and their choice of plays is a perfect mix of newer works and classics. We particularly enjoyed Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike, but almost everything we've seen has been good. My wife thought that their production of Venus in Fur was on a par with the original NYC show.

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very enjoyable”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

My husband and I went for the first time last month. We had great seats. The theater is small, so I don't think that there is a bad seat. The play was very funny and the time went very quickly. I would recommend it. The parking structure is for small cars. Parking our large car was a little scary.

37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“A Houston Treasure”
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

The Alley Theatre is one of Houston's treasures. I've had season tickets for over 30 years. In all these many years I can honestly say I've only seen 2 plays I didn't like. Gregory Boyd, artist director, continues to bring outstanding award winning plays and actors to our stage. I just saw Good People which was another totally engaging and enjoyable experience. It's not to be missed.