“Room was adequate, van service wasn't”

TownePlace Suites Houston Intercontinental Airport
Ranked #108 of 511 Hotels in Houston
Philadelphia, PA
“Room was adequate, van service wasn't”
Reviewed February 8, 2012

This hotel had come highly recommended by a co-worker of mine. I have stayed in TownePlace properties before but not this particular hotel. The room was fine, typical basic TownePlace. There were bright lights shining onto the parking lot that caused light to shine into the room as well. Breakfast in the morning was pretty picked over and the items were not being replenished in a timely manner. My main complaint with the hotel was that the van service was not punctual. The van did not show up until almost 10 minutes after the scheduled 8 AM departure time. There was no explanation or apology. The front desk clerk did not know where the van was when I began to worry that I was going to miss my flight. For hotel guests who are rushing to make a flight this was unacceptable, especially at an airport property.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank globeseekerpa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed December 22, 2011

This Marriott Towneplace Suties hotel was ok for for one night. Looks to have a nice pool and gym but did not use either. The business center locted by the front desk has two super slow computers, and probably the worst internet connection I have seen since 1995. In-room internet worked fine. The room we had was ok, clean, and had a full size kitchen fridge, dishwasher and cooktop, dishes etc. Good nights sleep overall, and very close to IAH - shuttle was good, driver was friendly. Not a fancy place to stay at all, just ok. The breakfast included with the room was the worst I have ever had - so far at least. Coffee had grounds in it and was not drinkable. The baked goods were stale that day. We read the paper, grabbed the shuttle and ate at IAH once through security.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed November 21, 2011

One thing that I usually enjoy about Marriott is that I usually always enjoy my stay, whether it's in a Category 2 joint or a Category 4 palace. After reading the rave reviews about this particular place, I was looking forward to my business trip to Houston.

The location is great; not even 10 minutes from the airport. When I arrived late at night and got to my room, I pulled the covers back and saw a huge silverfish crawling on one of the pillows. Ok, not comforting, but not a deal breaker, either. Bugs find their way into even the cleanest hotel.

The next night, I went to the gym only to find that the floor was damp from a water leak and the place reeked of mildew. At dinner, I went to get a salad and the lettuce looked like it had been sitting in the sun all day. I was starting to see a pattern. The next day, breakfast consisted of eggs mixed with cut up hot dogs from the night before. Yuck. My mom used to do that trick with leftovers when I was a kid. The staff seemed complacent and did not talk much, not even to smile or say hi in the hall.

I have stayed in dozens and dozens of Marriotts, and this one ranks in the bottom 5%. I don't know what the other reviewers saw in this place.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Colinc88d
Arizona
Reviewed September 9, 2011

My delayed flight from Arizona arrived after dark. I knew the location was south from IAH along JFK Boulevard. Sadly I passed it by southbound, and drove on at least a mile. Once northbound again I almost missed it; the sign was minimally visible. Other than that, this hotel experience was good.

Room Tip: Request an upper floor if available.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Granbury, Texas
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed here the night before an early flight out of Houston. We had purchased the Stay, Park and Fly package. Got in later than normal and had a little trouble finding the hotel as it is set off and into a wooded area. Front desk lady was terrific. Room was clean and bright. Had the shuttle set up to take us to the airport in the morning but it was full. Front desk clerk called us a taxi, paid him and we were on our way within minutes. Upon our arrival back home, called the shuttle and he was also there promptly with cold water and a smile. Marriott does know how to do things right!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2011

The place is great. Staff is friendly too. But their gym / fitness center stinks. The A/C in the fitness center is leaking water and We all have complained about it a zillion times, no one has bothered to fix it. They keep saying someone will have the maintainance guy look at it. But nothing! We were moving to Houston due to work relocation and we stayed here for a month. Reception Service was great, but the location is BAD! yes, it is close to the airport, and they do have a shuttle, but there is nothing around to do or even grocery shop. I would say find another location. Overall, I would give it a 3 out of 5.

• Stayed August 2011
Virginia Beach
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Very nice hotel from lobby to rooms. Located in wooded office park close to IAH and major roads. Lobby and room decor is excellent, very homey. Breakfast is OK, good complement of cereals, yogurt and breads.
Rooms are very comfortable, excellent bathrooms.
Only negative is business center is in lobby area and internet was very slow.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business