“Don't believe the hype”

TownePlace Suites Houston Intercontinental Airport
Ranked #123 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed November 21, 2011

One thing that I usually enjoy about Marriott is that I usually always enjoy my stay, whether it's in a Category 2 joint or a Category 4 palace. After reading the rave reviews about this particular place, I was looking forward to my business trip to Houston.

The location is great; not even 10 minutes from the airport. When I arrived late at night and got to my room, I pulled the covers back and saw a huge silverfish crawling on one of the pillows. Ok, not comforting, but not a deal breaker, either. Bugs find their way into even the cleanest hotel.

The next night, I went to the gym only to find that the floor was damp from a water leak and the place reeked of mildew. At dinner, I went to get a salad and the lettuce looked like it had been sitting in the sun all day. I was starting to see a pattern. The next day, breakfast consisted of eggs mixed with cut up hot dogs from the night before. Yuck. My mom used to do that trick with leftovers when I was a kid. The staff seemed complacent and did not talk much, not even to smile or say hi in the hall.

I have stayed in dozens and dozens of Marriotts, and this one ranks in the bottom 5%. I don't know what the other reviewers saw in this place.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Colinc88d

Reviewed September 9, 2011

My delayed flight from Arizona arrived after dark. I knew the location was south from IAH along JFK Boulevard. Sadly I passed it by southbound, and drove on at least a mile. Once northbound again I almost missed it; the sign was minimally visible. Other than that, this hotel experience was good.

Room Tip: Request an upper floor if available.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed here the night before an early flight out of Houston. We had purchased the Stay, Park and Fly package. Got in later than normal and had a little trouble finding the hotel as it is set off and into a wooded area. Front desk lady was terrific. Room was clean and bright. Had the shuttle set up to take us to the airport in the morning but it was full. Front desk clerk called us a taxi, paid him and we were on our way within minutes. Upon our arrival back home, called the shuttle and he was also there promptly with cold water and a smile. Marriott does know how to do things right!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2011

The place is great. Staff is friendly too. But their gym / fitness center stinks. The A/C in the fitness center is leaking water and We all have complained about it a zillion times, no one has bothered to fix it. They keep saying someone will have the maintainance guy look at it. But nothing! We were moving to Houston due to work relocation and we stayed here for a month. Reception Service was great, but the location is BAD! yes, it is close to the airport, and they do have a shuttle, but there is nothing around to do or even grocery shop. I would say find another location. Overall, I would give it a 3 out of 5.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Very nice hotel from lobby to rooms. Located in wooded office park close to IAH and major roads. Lobby and room decor is excellent, very homey. Breakfast is OK, good complement of cereals, yogurt and breads.
Rooms are very comfortable, excellent bathrooms.
Only negative is business center is in lobby area and internet was very slow.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2011

This hotel is great for when you arrive in Houston. They have a free shuttle service from the airport, or they pay for a taxi, depending on the hour.

We stopped 2 nights at the beginning and 1 night at the end of our holiday in Texas.

This hotel is spotlessly clean, big comfy beds, supersoft pillows, snowy white towels.

The breakfast consists of fruit, yogurt, muffins, bagels, waffles, toast, cereal, juices, coffee, tea, always scrambled egg, and either bacon/sausage or similar.

The facilities were excellent, the staff were efficient. Can't fault it in any way.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 21, 2010

Stayed here for one night after a late flight in from Dallas. Service was excellent - I has a mic up with my booking and this was resolved very promptly with no fuss whatsoever. Airport transfer was quick and efficient and Lena on the front desk is a credit to the hotel.

Slight downside is the noisy AC unit in the room but it was bearable.

Would definitely return...