“Great service, needs updating”

La Quinta Inn Houston Greenway Plaza Medical Area
Ranked #303 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Aesthetically the hotel leaves a lot to be desired, the hallways and rooms are dilapidated and the elevator moves slower than a freight elevator. However, what the hotel lacks in beauty it makes up for in service. Everyone at the hotel was extremely knowledgeable about the area and very friendly. The folks at the front desk were always willing to help out with extra towels late at night. There is also a security guard that walks the property which made me feel safe even though we were in a decent area.

The rooms had a great deal of wear and tear. The bathrooms, although clean, are due for some updating. The doors had tears on the bottom, the caulking in the bathtub was tearing up, and the shower head was leaning a bit. The bathroom overall was definitely clean. The linens on the bed were also clean and the bed itself was comfortable, the room (including the small fridge) was clean and really since I only came back to the room to shower and sleep, it worked out well for me. I was pretty comfortable my entire stay.

The walls are a bit thin so I could hear the person in the next room a little but not enough to bother me; other than that everyone was quiet and respectful.

The hotel appears to be pet friendly but I couldn't tell there had been pets, neither the hotel lobby nor the room smelled like animals which was really good. Maybe they have these folks at another part of the hotel. There is free wifi that works well. There is also plenty of parking in their well lit lot.

During my stay the majority of people were on business trips, and quite a few people were attending a conference. The breakfast in the morning consisted of waffles, juice, muffins (really good ones), bagels, toast, and cereal. The area was very clean and the lady who was working was very friendly.

If you are concerned about safety, looking for a centrally located hotel and do not want to spend an arm and a leg I would suggest this La Quinta; it's clean, safe, and quiet. However, I do hope they update their hotel soon but not raise the prices so much that it becomes unaffordable.

Room Tip: Try to stay inside the hotel facing the street/second portion of the hotel and not the highway if yo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

I can recommend this hotel. I stayed here last night and had to check out this morning at 4am. The hotel is old and nothing fancy but clean, and my bed was very comfortable. Shower was good too. Area is okay, and it was a $12 cab ride to the River Oaks Mall area. Overall, I had nothing to complain about until upon check out.

The lady at the front desk, I forgot her name but she was afro american with shorter hair, was absolutely rude. The breakfast crew was already setting up and I asked her if I can grab a banana since I am too early for breakfast - now granted, I PAID for breakfast, and other hotels have gone out of their way to pack me up a breakfast on the go - this lady simply said "well its too early for breakfast, but okay...".. While giving me the worst attitude. I then bought a cookie bar from her (since she couldn't go out of her way to maybe grab me a muffin for breakfast from the kitchen), and she didnt even look at me once throughout the transaction. I then left out the door and wished her a good day, waiting for her to maybe thank me for my stay?!, but not even a goodbye. Really? A smile doesnt cost. After a really good stay, its a bummer that my last impression failed me.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Amy J
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I have stayed at this location several times over the years and have been very pleased with the comfort and convenience of this inn, also with the nice improvements made. The location is particularly convenient in terms of accessibility and proximity to the museum district and Rice Village.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Smoke everywhere, filthy bathrooms, needs a major renovation ASAP. Premier location, but who want to stay in a nasty unkept place. Their are many others to choose from in Houston. The lack of care is due to the owners of this chain, not the housekeepers or management staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank gregoryc350
Reviewed March 14, 2014

older hotel but clean and comfortable and convenient. We shared the whole hotel with folks attending the Houston Fat Stock show and Rodeo at one point even a trailer with cattle outside the Hotel. In spite of all this hotel was not cluttered, lots of parking, not noisy, rooms clean and comfortable, slept very well. However a colleague who had a room facing the gulf freeway was bothered by the freeway noise.
I would stay there again.
Hotel need to provide some maintenace for the elevator appearance

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank 295globe
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

I am very disappointed with the state of the Greenway Plaza location in Houston. The service is good but the hotel seems somewhat rundown, and not up to the quality and standards I have come to expect from La Quinta. For starters the faucets in the shower and tub were falling apart.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank MarlonHodge
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was ok but I expected more for the price we paid.
The breakfast was very disappointing unless you like waffles. Cold cereal, muffins, boiled eggs and bagels.
I just want more bang for my bucks.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends