“Mixed feelings”

Ranked #168 of 517 Hotels in Houston
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed January 18, 2009

I had very mixed feelings about this property.

The room was pretty nice. We had a room on the ground floor and were able to park for free right in front.

There was a continental breakfast each morning in the lobby consisting of bagels, cereal, juice and coffee. There were also complimentary copies of USA Today.

There are a few bars and restaurants a short walk away.

We went to the Houston Texans on a Monday night. We were able to catch a bus from 100 yards away, which took us to the light rail station with trains to the stadium. We came back the same way after midnight and it was fine.

I cannot fault the property, but I didn't feel 100% happy in the neighbourhood. We walked around and felt pretty safe, but something just didn't feel right. Every night the parking lot appeared to be full, yet I'm convinced there were not many people actually staying at the hotel. And late one night we saw a group of men having a card game in the closed lobby. It was just a little odd.

Unfortunately, our rental car was hit one night while in the parking lot, taking paint off our rear bumper and leaving a small dent. We reported it to the front desk and the clerk couldn't have been more helpful. She helped us call the police, and informed the manager who checked the tapes. Sadly, they couldn't see who had hit our car, but their help was appreciated.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — General odd goings on
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Turkish first
Viotech
Reviewed October 4, 2008

I stayed at the DaysInn hotel in Galleria for two weeks for business and I must say the hospitality of the employees and manager was exceptional. I was also pleased to see that the continental breakfast catered to Vegetarians!

The room was clean and the location is convenient to get around town. On my next stay in Houston I will return to this Hotel and I highly recommend it.

• Liked — Vegetarian breakfast
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Viotech
Brasilia
Reviewed September 29, 2008

I went to Houston to attend a Conference and did not want to spend a lot of money in a hotel in which I would only stay to sleep, so I looked for a cheap hotel, from a recognized hotel chain, close to the venue. It was indeed quite close - less than 3 km, but I must say Houston is not an appropriated city for pedestrians, so we tried walking there once and never more.
The hotel is in a good location, really close to the Galleria Mall, which is a great and big mall. And there are some restaurants, supermarkets and small shops close to the hotel.
What I did not like about the hotel: you cannot open the windows and, as Houston is a hot city, you have to use the air conditioner. The yard/parking place in front of the rooms is very illuminated by night, so that you have to close the curtains, on the other hand, the dark film on the windows did not allow to infere how bright was the day (and the weather). And there were ants in my bathtub despite the renovation. I was also a bit desappointed beacuse I expected to do some gym, use the treadmills, but they did not inform me that this was still under renovation. The breakfast was very simple but ok - I bought some iogurts at the supermarket also.

• Liked — Maybe the price?
  • Disliked — Bathroom, windows that don't open
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed March 17, 2008

We stayed here over a weekend for the Galleria and also went to the Auto Show over at Reliant Arena. Great location to get around Houston and several restaurants are close by to walk to. My only complaint was the noise from the road and from the clubs near by at night. Besides that I do recommend this DI for anyone who wants to be close to the Galleria, Reliant Stadium area or Downtown Houston.....

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noise from Fountain View Road and clubs nearby
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 20, 2007

The location was great from the hotel to the Lake Church for the Joyce Meyer's Conference! The rooms were cleaned, freshly painted, small fridge and a ceiling fan at that! The front desk staff was friendly, parking lot was a bit small and the neighborhood a bit rough but safe. A lot of nearby places to eat, a HEB and the Galleria Mall for the shopping!

I didnt care too much for the noisy traffic passing by as the room I was in was near the road. The breakfast was ok.

Overall, I would reccomend this hotel and I will stay here again!

Austin, Texas.

• Liked — location to the Lakeway Church for the joyce meyer's conference
  • Disliked — noisy traffic near the room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
california
Reviewed October 2, 2007

The hotel rooms are clean and freshly painted, the hotel seems to be completely remodeled. We stayed in three other hotels on our road trip to Houston, and this was by far the nicest. The front desk staff is friendly and hospitable and the location is great. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Cleanliness and friendly staff
  • Disliked — thin toilet paper.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Ottawa
Reviewed February 13, 2007

We were forced to stay here since all the other hotels were booked in Houston. We previously stayed at the Bradford Suites nearby but that had been quickly snapped up by our relatives.

In one word: awful!

Room was dirty. Ants crawling all over the place. Dimly lit; I turned on all the lights in the room and I barely got 100 watts. Noisy from the road. Some guy started banging on our door at 5am! Outside door was peeling away or someone had previously jimmied it open; I couldn't tell. The towels were like sandpaper. Bathroom poorly lit and dirty. The tiles were held together with silicone that went all the way up the toilet to cover some crack.

My wife was crying because the place was so bad. My brother's family also stayed there and when we talked to his wife she said that she "was not impressed" and then shot a look at my brother who had picked the hotel.

The breakfast was cereal and some coffee and that is all they had.

Oh well ... all I can say is ... we stayed there one night and made it out alive and didn't pick up any cockroaches along the way.

For some reason, college kids must like this place since there were a lot of young girls bouncing around all over the place.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WongNorth
dreamzunLTD, GM at Days Inn Houston-Galleria TX, responded to this review, February 4, 2008
We are under new management since March 2007 and all our rooms have been newly rennovated since Jul/August 2007. We feel that this review is not appropriate to us anymore as it does not represent our current hospitality or service of this hotel.