“why we go to a B&B”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Kensington, MD
“why we go to a B&B”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Robin's Nest is conveniently located in Houston's museum district. It is an old Victorian home with beautiful common areas and a front porch perfect for early morning paper reading or relaxing in the afternoon. Robin, the owner, has given the house a unique flavor with colorful, fun and both playful and sophisticated decorations. We stayed there for five nights and enjoyed the breakfasts and camaraderie of the other guests. Spending time with the other guests turned out to be an unexpected bonus that added to our stay in Houston. If we return to Houston, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
RobinsNestTx, Owner at Robin's Nest Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review. I apologize for the delay in getting back to you to express my appreciation. Come see me when you can. Best, Robin @ Robin's Nest

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Home away from home. Every detail of the home was done with such great effort. Cozy outdoor court yard. Very close to delicious & fine restaurants. Comfortable and clean bed & bath linens. Good coffee on hand 24/7 even with stevia ;0) The owner & her staff were warm & attentive.

• Stayed May 2013
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I tend to like fancy hotels, but I was traveling by myself and only staying one night, so I opted for a B&B. What drew me to Robin's Nest was the fact that it was close to the Museums. When I got to the B&B, I was pleased that there was plenty of street parking - bonus! Also, it was nice and quiet. Another bonus. I stayed in Ceceila's room, which was a good size. It had a Queen sized bed and a twin bed. There was a pitcher of water waiting for me when I got there, which was a nice touch. I slept in the Queen sized bed and I will say that it felt like the air conditioning was blowing right on me. I woke up with a bit of a sore throat, but I'm sensitive to cold air, so this shouldn't bother most people. I would also say the bathroom toilet seat could probably be replaced, but again - this B&B is meant to be a little more rustic, so keep that in mind. Breakfast was DELICIOUS and I met some wonderful people - great conversations! The owner, Robin, was lovely!
Oh - PS. Robin was VERY responsive to EVERY email I sent her leading up to my trip. I really appreciated that!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I live here in Houston and escorted a representative of a retail company to her room before going out to dinner. There were 2 huge conventions in town, and she couldn't get a hotel room. I suggested she look into a bed and breakfast and she found Robin's Nest. When we arrived I was glad to see she would be staying in a historical part of Houston, close to restaurants and in a sought after neighborhood. She was used to standard hotels used by business travelers and didnt appreciate the quaintness of the room and the decor. I loved it! Being from Massachusetts, I appreciate older homes, antiques, etc. I told her if this place was in Martha's Vineyard, it would easily be $1500 to $2000 a week. I don't know how much she paid but it was a gem. I will recommend it to visitors to Houston who want to be near the Arts, like walking to cool restaurants and oh by the way those who love TREES! From my eyes I would love it! I may see if I can have a meeting there with one of my social groups. Robin I loved what I saw!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank KRL1
RobinsNestTx, Owner at Robin's Nest Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Sister Houstonian,

Thank you for your review, and thank you very much for putting your travel associate up in Robin's Nest. Hopefully, we've opened a window for her which exposes the comfort, creativity and security of a bed and breakfast. I remember her well. She is charming. Thank you for the opportunity to speak for the bed and breakfast industry: All the b & bs in Houston do a great job. In terms of my bed and breakfast, our mattresses are top of the line. My guess is that a comparable mattress would rest in a hotel room well above $450 a night. Cleanliness: my Head Housekeeper has been with me over 14 years. She's very consistent when it comes to clean. Food: Robin's Nest serves a breakfast that has received consistently ****. She has an excellent, fresh food, health-oriented cook (at lease three colors on a plate. White and brown don't count.), who is also the Assistant Innkeeper. Come back and see me. Thanks again for your review. Best, Robin @ Robin's Nest, Bed and Breakfast Inn
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed at Robin's Nest in Linda Lee's Townhouse for a week in May. Excellent staff. The furniture is eclectic but it was clean with a full kitchen, satellite TV, and excellent climate control. Breakfasts were very good. No complaints.

Room Tip: The two bedroom we were in was quite large and quiet. The floors are wooden and make a bit of noise...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Beaufort, South Carolina
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Staying at the Robin's Nest is like staying with a very old friend who is sort of casual about how things are done.
I received a message with the code for the gate and got myself in my room. The room was sweet and the bed comfortable. The bathroom is great, but the smell of tub cleaner was overpowering. I do appreciate that the tub was certifiably clean, though.
I needed to use the internet and it just did not work. I tried over and over. I called to try and reach someone to ask if I were doing something wrong, and left a message. My call was never returned, or acknowledged. Made me a bit nervous since there are no phones in the room, the neighborhood is transitional, and it isn't possible to reach someone in an emergency.
The next morning, when I mentioned to Robin - who is a treat in every other way - I was brushed off. Listen: The internet is important! I wouldn't stay at a place without service.
Breakfast was ok. The decor is charming and funky. The location is in a great neighborhood, but know what direction you are going if you walk.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank sistahsays
Inkerman, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I have to say that our recent stay was a mixture of experiences. We stayed in the two bedroom unit which offered a good amount of space and comfortable beds. The unit was also very clean; however the smell of cleaner used was overly strong for comfort. The use of antique furniture, while part of the unit's charm, was not always comfortable or practical. For example, viewing TV was restricted to basically sitting directly in front of it because the doors of the unique cabinet in which the TV sat did not swing back more than 90 degrees making it difficult for our group of four to comfortably wAtch together. We'd also recommend changing one of the chairs at the dining table to one that is more stable and safe as the current chair is definitely uncertain.

Normally one of the things our group enjoys the most at a b&b is breakfast, unfortunately this was not the case at Robin's Nest. The bacon was consistently served cold and on one morning guests needed to keep their coats on throughout because the breakfast room was so cold. On the other hand, the coffee was hot and the visual impact of the room was great. Robin and Maria were also very warm and accommodating.

Terresa