“Whimsical, cosy and so welcoming”

Robin's Nest Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #3 of 49 Houston B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brisbane, Australia
“Whimsical, cosy and so welcoming”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I only stayed here one night with my family, but it was most definitely a trip highlight. Cecelia's Room was just beautiful; such lovely furnishings and colour scheme. Indeed the common area's were just as fun and unique. Robin was a very gracious host as were the other staff. The guests were all fascinating and warm too. The breakfast though was a stand out! Oh my goodness it was amazingly delicious! I absolutely loved staying here and want to return to Texas just so I can visit again. For longer this time hopefully. The negative reviews here puzzle me though. The furniture was old but that of course is part of the magic. Everything was clean and kept in good order. I wish my house was as beautiful as Robin's B&B.

Room Tip: All the rooms are decorated very differently. Check out their website to pick your favourite. I chos...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth U
RobinsNestTx, Owner at Robin's Nest Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
It takes one to know one. . . You are gracious, whimsical and delightful. Come back to see us. I appreciate your taking the time from a busy schedule to remember us. The girls send their thanks yous and their appreciation. They take a lot of pride in their work.. Until the next time. Best, Robin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I regret having to write this. I know everyone is having a tough time in business these days.
I gave Robin ample chances to resolve our issue but she has ignored every request.
So, here goes -

I booked Robin's for a week in early July, to serve as my base while house hunting in Houston. The room I had was adjacent to the kitchen. The second night night I woke up in the middle of the night, turned on the light to find german cockraches crawling across the floor of my room. I killed them, and went on to the kitchen to get a drink of water. When I turned on the Kitchen light literally THOUSANDS of roaches were crawling EVERYWHERE, walls, floors, on the counters and food prep areas, in and out of cabinets. I'm so glad I never ate food out of that kitchen.

I left immediately and stayed the night on a friend's sofa. The next morning, I returned to gather my things, and talk to Robin, who I thought would be as shocked as I was.

Of great surprise to me, Robin wasn't surprised at all. She readily acknowledged her ongoing roach problem. I told her this was untenable for me and I would have to check out. SHe apologized and agreed to refund me the unused nights, but that refund has never materialized.

Do yourself a huge favor and give Robin's a pass. Houston has so much better to offer than this jaded tear-down.

Room Tip: Avoid this location altogether.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
8 Thank texasjane2012
RobinsNestTx, Owner at Robin's Nest Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
I remember this guest. She left without telling me of her issue. I would have gladly moved her to another room and comp'd her the previous night. Her room was on the first floor of a pier and beam c.1890 Victorian Farmhouse, and adjacent to the kitchen. Houston has not had a freeze in several years. I don't use our warm winters as an excuse but rather an acknowledgement that we have to stay on top of this in a sub-tropical climate, and evidently we weren't on top of it on this particular room. I don't use highly toxic chemicals so a close schedule is mandatory. We're on it now. Anyone who reads our reviews will see that consistently we have high marks generally but specifically in housekeeping.

An irony: the offended guest left us with her charming dog's fleas. . .

Thank you for the opportunity to respond. Robin @ Robin's Nest
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Our group (4 adults, 1 toddler) stayed 2 nights in the 2-bedroom apartment called "The Montrose Suite" while we were in town to attend the Rice Centennial. We had a great experience and left feeling very glad we had chosen Robin's Nest for our stay. The apartment is comfortably furnised and the decor is charmingly quirky. Loved the luxury shower head in particular. Easy on-street parking and close to everything - easy walk to pharmacy, restaurants/bars, Fiesta grocery store and light rail train system. Breakfast both mornings was delicious, and we all loved meeting and chatting with the eclectic collection of guests, the owner, and her staff. Everyone could not have been more welcoming. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip to Houston - highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BeccaS806
Thank you for your review. You, my guest, are very important to me. You're right: a good breakfast with interesting people is a great way to start the day. I look forward to your return. You are a good addition to the table. Until the next time, Best, Robin
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Once charming and very artistic environment, alas a bit grimy and tired. Not worth the price for sure. We had to turn on the tap using the valve under the sink. The place is so dark for dramatic effect, after turning on all the lamps we tried to open the drapes and blinds to find all the cords were broken, then filthy windows. The querky paint job is worn out and the decor is so cluttered we could not function in the room. Only one dish of peppers with scambled egg is offered for breakfast, sweet rolls and no toast. Time for a complete redo!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cjcatchall
RobinsNestTx, Owner at Robin's Nest Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Upon investigation, It appears housekeeping and the office were not communicating. The hot water spigot (housekeeping) had been turned off because it was leaking, but the plumber had not been called (the office). So it appears there was a slip between the cup and the lip.

This guest has us confused with someone else regarding what we served them for breakfast. We don't serve peppers and eggs, and we certainly never serve anyone sweet rolls. Our unerring preference is fresh, whole foods.

In terms of "tired" surroundings, I think that may be in the eye of the beholder as it may appear that way to another eye. This is an 1890 Victorian Farmhouse. I lean toward artsy, funky, elegant, as well as plebeian pieces. What is tired to one person, may be character to another. Notwithstanding, I appreciate the input and will make another walk through of the Inn with a critical eye. It could surely be that something needs to be replaced. Robin's Nest has been in business 21 years and we're not perfect. Well, in some things, maybe . . . Thank you for your time and the opportunity to respond, Robin @ Robin's Nest
Denver, CO
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This place is pretty text-book B&B. It does feel like you are staying in someone's home. The self check-in was convenient. Breakfast was exceptional. The folks we met at breakfast were mostly professionals doing some extended stays for their work - a very interesting and smart bunch. The only stumbles were the weak A/C in the upstairs bedrooms (it was fine at night, but couldn't keep up in the daytime) and the weak internet signal upstairs. It is a very walkable neighborhood.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank lindymae
Gothenburg
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We choosed Robin´s nest because we wanted to stay somewhere close to westminister road (for shopping) and midtown (for eating and drinking) and this was the only alternative within our budget. In reality it wasn´t close to anything. (Or close to everything if you have a car) Robin´s nest is exactly what it wants to be and what they claim to be. If you are not interested in feeling like you are staying at someones home than you should choose another accomondation.
Things are worn and not top-notch but it´s clean and the staff do everything to make you feel welcome.
Parking is on the street and there are lots of free spaces. Breakfast is very good but tell them in advance if you have a special diet. I´m a vegetarian so my boyfriend had to eat two plates:) The room was huge with a kitchen and private bath. There was even a little "balcony", see photos. There were lots of different books in our room about Houston. This was very appreciated!
I recommend this place to everyone who wants to meet other people and don´t want to stay in a big unpersonal hotel. That´s what I prefer so I will probably not come here again but the rating is because it is a great place if you are into that thing and it is what they say it is.

Room Tip: Antonios room is upstairs and there is no elevator.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessib
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Great place, great rooms, private baths, friendly staff...breakfast tries to be too fancy, if that makes sense, so if you have any special dietary needs make sure they know in advance, the only issue we had was with breakfast. I even forgot something and they mailed it to me

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple