“Great Townhouse Rental for Dog and People”

Robin's Nest Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #3 of 54 Houston B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We stayed at the Linda Lee Townhouse which is a few buildings down the street from the main B&B. We didn't know what to expect but it was huge. The townhouse comprises of the lower floor of a walk up/walk down and has two spacious bedrooms (with plenty of closet and wardrobe space), one full bathroom with cabinets in which to put your things, a small but fully equipped kitchen, a dining room (a rectangular table with four non-matching chairs -- one was wobbly), a spacious living room area with TV (the TV is tiny but it has Direct TV so there are a lot of stations), and some outdoor space with a wrought iron table and chairs. There is also grass and a sidewalk out front so it's convenient for letting your dog go potty at night or first thing in the morning.

We didn't have breakfast the first two mornings because we had to leave early to get to where we were going but we did have it the last two mornings of our stay and it was savory. Everything is cooked to order and is fresh. We had scrambled eggs both times and the plate came with a sliced fruit (pineapple and strawberry). There is coffee, tea, water and orange juice as well and they have cereal and milk if someone didn't want the cooked breakfast (or if they wanted the Continental breakfast earlier in the morning). It's a nice atmosphere in which to sit, eat, enjoy a conversation with the other guests and admire everything in the main B&B. Robin also has two dogs herself so if you are a dog lover but couldn't bring your own dogs, you can stop by and say, "Hello!" to Robin's dogs.

The bed was comfortable and everything was very clean. The townhouse was cleaned daily and they did a great job. The bathroom has a very small hairdryer (it wasn't there when we first arrived but they put it in our room after we made a quick phone call), a large bottle of shampoo/conditioner in one and a large bottle of body wash, and a small bottle of hand soap by the sink. You'll have to bring the rest of your own toiletries (i.e. body lotion, Q-tips, etc). The bathroom has small washcloths, two hand towels and several large, fluffy bath towels. The bathroom is dated so the sink is very low which means you have to bend quite a bit to wash your face. The faucets are old as well but work well however a tip is to make sure you fully turn them to the right to turn them off otherwise the water will drip.

The location is close enough to Montrose Blvd to walk to but far enough away to not have to worry about anything. And of course Montrose has tons of restaurants in which to choose from and every cuisine you can think of. Nippon Japanese is my favorite. There are cars driving by late at night and early in the morning though so the corner location made it easy to hear not to mention the light from the cars came in through the window in the bedroom (at they did on my side of the bed). The unit even comes with a small washer/dryer however the dryer wasn't working well and didn't produce enough heat so we had to run it a few times.

There is a guest room above the townhouse and the floors are old (the house is old but lovely) and you can hear every step someone takes above you which can be annoying if that person is up late at night or early in the morning.

The refrigerator needs to be checked out by a technician though because it froze everything we put in there. There is a microwave so if you want to get food to go and eat it at the townhouse you can do that too.

The proprietor/owner, Robin, is as lovely as can be and is very welcoming of guests and their pets. One woman even had her ferrets with her! Our dog was welcome to join us and the other guests for breakfast which was so sweet of Robin and we really appreciated her accommodating us and our fur baby.

Robin is an artist (don't let her tell you she's not because she's a wonderful artist) and has many of her painting around the B&B and in the townhouse -- many of animals which is always nice to see if you're an animal lover like we are.

The neighborhood itself is pretty quiet despite being across the street from a school. There is parking on the street (for free) and the townhouse comes with a small garage (for one vehicle).

I would definitely recommend staying at Robin's Nest B&B instead of a hotel while in Houston.

Room Tip: If you plan to stay with your pet, the Linda Lee Townhouse is the way to go.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BloatedBelly
RobinsNestTx, Owner at Robin's Nest Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2012

Thank you so much for the kind review. It is most appreciated, and helps level the playing field with the 'big guys". Come back to see me.
Best to you,
Robin @ Robin's Nest

There are newer reviews for Robin's Nest Bed and Breakfast Inn

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We came for a wedding and stayed the night. The wedding was terrific. The staff did a fine job of decorating for the service and dinner. And then working late to clean it all up so that it looked as though it had never happened. As far as our room (small apartment), it was very clean and just darling. It ended up being a two bedroom apartment with everything you could possibly need for a long stay. It was sort of weird that the office isn't really staffed like a traditional motel, but that's just part of the quirkiness. When I needed something, I was able to find someone. The full breakfast was delicious... very fresh and light. Everyone we polite and friendly. Robin is really nice and extremely interesting to talk with. We recommend this B&B to anyone who wants to get away from tradition. Expect to pay more, live without a phone, and to be left alone by the staff unless you need something.

Room Tip: Read the room descriptions and amenities carefully so that you get what you want. and don't go i...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

I'm so sorry for the delay in getting back to you to thank you for the kind review. It is most appreciated and helps level the playing field between us and the big hotels. Come back to see me. Best, Robin @ Robin's Nest

Reviewed April 23, 2012

My partner and I spent 4 nights here when I was in Houston for a business convention. It is in a very cute neighborhood near the University of St. Thomas. Not walking distance to the George R Brown Convention Center, but parking near there is reasonable.

The room was very nice and the house is super cute and so is the yard. Breakfast was delicious, Robin, Dinora, Annie and Rudy are all very sweet.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

I'm sorry for the delay in getting this thank you note off to you. I am so appreciative of the good review you gave Robin's Nest in Trip Advisor. It goes a long way in helping small businesses. Best to you, Robin

Reviewed March 23, 2012

What a great place to stay.

My mother and I recently came to Houston for three days / two nights with the sole purpose of going to BHLDN, a phenomenal wedding shop with only two locations, one of which is in Houston.

Since it was to be a fun and special trip, I wanted to find a place for us to stay that was along the same lines, and Robin's B&B did not disappoint.

We booked Antonio's Room in the Big Nest. I was emailed directions on how to get in. Check-in was extremely flexible, as your key was waiting for you. We arrived to a fun and colorful house, and let ourselves into our room which was beautiful. Bright colors, lots of room. Antonio's Room has a double bed which we shared, as well as its own kitchen and bathroom. The kitchen had it's own coffee pot, but there was also two in the hall for both coffee and tea, as well as a large pitcher of water. There was a large armoire where I hung the contents of my garment bag, as well as a dresser of drawers if you needed. The bed was extremely comfortable, and I slept soundly through each night.

Downstairs is a beautifully set dining room which changed in color and style each day. There was also a living room where some of the ladies who were staying downstairs would sit at night and enjoy glasses of wine. It was very comfortable and felt like staying at a relative's house. It was great.

Breakfast itself was great, and was different on the two days that we stayed there. The first morning was scrambled eggs with toast, fruit, bacon and sausage. Next day was pancakes, fruit, and a giant hunk of ham. The tables also had large pots of coffee and large carafes of orange juice and water.

Two notes on breakfast:

*Those tin cups are cute, but when you're having hot tea instead of coffee, they heat up too much. I burned my hand, and had to leave the tea until I was done eating before the cup cooled down.

**Most importantly, when you reserve the room, they ask very specifically about dietary needs, but at breakfast, it seemed like they didn't even look at it. For example, if they had, my pancakes wouldn't have come out with a giant hunk of ham on top. Luckily I'm laid back and just threw it on my moms plate, but there are a lot of people out there who are VERY particular if meat was on their plate, and that wouldn't fly with them. It's a strong suggestion to the staff actually. Read those things.

Other than those two notes, we had a flawless stay. Robin was really sweet and the other guests were a lot of fun. It seems as if the guests from the other locations also have breakfast here, so get your butt out of bed and downstairs before they come in and take over the dining room!

Robin's beats any run of the mill hotel any day, and if I ever return to Houston, this is where I would stay.

Also, tons of street parking.

***OH, and, it would be great if the windows would stay open. I had to prop the window by the bed open with one of my binders to help create some air flow in the room. Otherwise, the windows just fall shut. Also, sometimes it's nice to be able to open a window in the bathroom, whether it be to let out steam, or other things...

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jess R

Thank you so much for your good review on Trip Advisor. My sincere apologies for the delay in getting this e-mail to you. I appreciate your taking the time. It goes a long way to leveling the playing field for small businesses. Come back to see me -- I look forward to your return. Best, Robin @ Robin's Nest

Reviewed March 20, 2012

My wife, our eleven-year-old son, and I stayed four nights during spring break. Our room was a one-bedroom suite with a kitchen. The beds were comfortable and our three breakfasts were delicious. Robin's Nest is within a moderate walk of a dozen museums and within an easy walk of half a dozen excellent restaurants. When we return to Houston, we'll stay with Robin.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank djackso
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We'll use it again should the need arise. Quiet neighborhood. Not far from Mark's restaurant (our reason for being there). Friendly staff. Good southwest cuisine breakfast. Small crowd on weekday night.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
RobinsNestTx, Owner at Robin's Nest Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2012

Dear Mr. Hilliard,
Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure to have you. Come back to see me. Best, Robin @ Robin's Nest.

Reviewed February 10, 2012

We are spending a long weekend in Houston and the two bedroom/one bath apartment at Linda Lee`s tree house (part of Robin`s B and B) is a find. Spacious and comfortable, centrally located , it is a quiet sanctuary in a bustling city.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple