“Surprised...in a good way”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston East at Normandy
Ranked #203 of 504 Hotels in Houston
San Antonio, TX
“Surprised...in a good way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

My family and I stayed at this hotel for a graduation weekend and were surprised at the cleanliness of this hotel. This hotel had upscale lights, very updated and the staff was always very friendly. We stayed in a room with two beds, a microwave & refrigerator. We were very satisfied with our room and restroom. Everything worked, no signs of previous guests as you sometimes get with some hotels. The location is away but close enough to where you need to be with great access to I-10. I felt 100% safe at this location and would recommend to anyone. The price is extremely reasonable for this location.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank ediekens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Brownsville, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

I really loved that I was able to stay in the area where my daughter was at. At first I wasn't to sure because I am not familiar with the area on how safe it is, but I stayed around 2 weeks here and everything was nice. You will get the random crazy guest checking in, but everything is handled nicely by the staff. One call to the front desk and they're on it! I didn't see a lot of family staying..mainly business people or workers, i guess because its so close to the main areas where people work like the port and downtown. I had never avoided so much traffic. Coming from this side of town into Houston was ideal. in general everything was good. I do agree with the occasional hard boiled eggs, but then again who wouldn't want their mom cooking at the hotel for us? : ) awesome stay...thank you!

Room Tip: I think that if your going to stay for a long period with your spouse or for business I would defini...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mexicanldsmom
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

The hotel interior is nice and clean. The staff were friendly. The complimentary breakfast was decent with typical waffles, bagels, bread, biscuits and gravy, eggs and bacon/sausages. One of the mornings while we were having breakfast, we saw one of the Spanish speaking staff (in hotel uniforms) brought her two small kids to eat there as well. It is a bit unprofessional for my standpoint.
The area where the hotel is located is mixed. It is not in a bad area, but not a nice area either. I felt reasonably safe, but I'd advise caution. We stayed here for a two-day college visit, and would consider stay here again in the future. However, this would not be a place I'd choose to stay for vacation though. By the way, the hotel is only about 20-30 minute drive to downtown provided smooth traffic.

Room Tip: I'd choose a room on the upper floors for security concern.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Travel_and_Learn99
Royal Palm Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

Stayed on first floor. Service excellent. Nicely decorated for Xmas. Looks brand new everywhere. Room very clean and modern. Excellent value for $55. Fabulous breakfast. Complete with Texas shaped waffles! Kids loved it!

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank acreageoutbacker
Austin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

The La Quinta in Houston, Texas on Normandy, St is a very nice LQ Inns and Suites, however, the neighborhood is not so nice.

Sirens all night, lots of shady/shabby looking houses, building, people in the area. It is on I-10 on the east side of Houston...not the greatest part of town. However, it was very close where I needed to go and had good ratings as a nice, clean property...which it is.

The check in was quick, friendly. The room was clean, smelled good and the beds were warm, soft and I slept ok, considering the sirens and such.

The property does have a security fence around it, however it is not gated. They do employee a security guard and that does help.

The breakfast was ok, typical LQ with mega starch/carbs combo. I was in a hurry, so I did eat there.

Park your vehicle in front in the lighted area. Don't venture off the property after dark.

All went well during the stay, I would stay again if needed on the east side of Houston.

Room Tip: Get a room on the back side cause of the noise and an upper floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank NiklasPavelV
Ingram, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

Was in town to work on a Habitat project nearby. Decided to stay in a hotel rather than having to fight early morning traffic from the west side of Houston. Chose this La Quinta based on reviews and price. Nice, clean hotel, although the hotel had a strange smell in the halls. It may have been new carpet or something. We did have an initial problem with service at the front desk when we arrived and after waiting a while had to actually call the hotel to get a response. The clerk claimed to be having problems of some kind, but once we were checked in our stay was fine. Breakfast was very good and the attendants were pleasant and helpful. This La Quinta is nice and our stay was pleasant. If you need to stay on the east side of Houston near Interstate 10 and want a nice, comfortable room at a good price, then I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Chaille H
Charleston, WV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

I planned a one-night visit to Houston, TX for business. My meeting was located only about a mile from this LaQuinta (there is another LaQuinta located only about a mile to the west), and I saw the great reviews on this site, so I decided to stay here. It was great.

The rooms were clean, comfortable, and business-friendly. The front-desk staff and other employees were overly friendly. The free breakfast in the morning was very good. An excellent bargain, and I would not hesitate to stay here in the future.

Final note: The hotel is located about 25 minutes from Hobby Airport and about 35-40 from Bush International.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business